The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

i can see why Olaf and Roger wouldnt be so forthcoming as to where they are from.
They are from Antrim afterall,
who wants to advertise that fact now?  ;)

boojangles

Quote from: Olaf on September 30, 2009, 07:19:59 PM
That's their choice and they can do or not do  what they like.  Its not for me or anyone else to tell them what to do. Doesn't mean non-Gaels can't hold an opinion on it or feel dis-inclined to join

Finally a bit of straight talking.Alot of people could do with remembering that.The GAA should not be made feel ashamed about any of its actions or aims.The GAA is what it is.It is what it is because of the contributions and work of like-minded Irish people who wanted to keep the massively important Gaelic culture and past times alive, despite the attempts from outside influences. The GAA has and will continue to move with the times but only when we, as members are ready and not when Nelson McCausland or any other Non-Member thinks we should. These same people wouldn't join the GAA if we re-named Croke Park, Sir Ian Paisley Park and re-named the Kevin Lynchs club in Derry, QE2 Rovers in attempts to bend over backwards, so whats the point? 

Hereiam

I see that the BBC has completely dropped the use of the word DERRY unless it is Derry city council they happen to mention. Obviously there has been a policy change at high level so that L'derry is the named forced upon us. This really does put me off watching BBC newsline. Why can't they just use Derry and leave it at that.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hereiam on March 01, 2010, 09:58:45 AM
I see that the BBC has completly dropped the use of the word DERRY unless it is Derry city council they happen to mention. Obsouly there has been a policy change at high level so that L'derry is the named forced upon us. This really does put me off watching BBC newsline. Why can't they just use Derry and levae it at that.

Where'd you hear that?
Testing Accessibility

Hereiam

Ziggy the name Derry is never used by the Beeb in there news reports. Just look at the Foyle & west section of the website, Derry is not to be seen. They use it in the little GAA coverage that they have but other than that its London all the way

haranguerer

I remember reading somewhere a while back that the official policy when talking about it on the BBC was to say L'derry first, then call it Derry in the next mention, then it was the reporters choice after that.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

That bitch Jackie McCann (weathergirl from Cavan) refuses to say Derry - does my nut in!  >:(
Tbc....

haranguerer

Shes a complete retard anyway, makes a hash of the weather every day. Worth watching for its only ever 2 seconds away from car crash tv.

boojangles

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 01, 2010, 12:11:35 PM
That bitch Jackie McCann (weathergirl from Cavan) refuses to say Derry - does my nut in!  >:(

She's from where??

ziggysego

Jackie makes me go weak at the knees. Then again, that could be caused by my disability...
Testing Accessibility

Ulick

Her husband is a regular reader of the Board.

As haranguerer says the policy is that it's L'derry first and then the choice of the person after that. If there's been a change of policy then it should be easy to find out with a FOI request.

Hereiam

God she has one annoying voice. Even the wife can't stand her. We come to the conclusion that she must be shagging someone high up to have that job.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jesus she started at the BBC in the Irish language unit!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/video_audio/player/816/english/

Come on Jackie at least be balanced in your usage of the name.
Tbc....

haranguerer

Quote from: Ulick on March 01, 2010, 12:35:35 PM

Her husband is a regular reader of the Board.
As haranguerer says the policy is that it's L'derry first and then the choice of the person after that. If there's been a change of policy then it should be easy to find out with a FOI request.

I hope he keeps a tight eye on her - shes doing something to still have her job... :P

I'd say hes been dreading her being brought up on here so...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

If you listen to that clip, she actually sounds better speaking in her native tongue.
Tbc....