The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Roger on September 28, 2009, 10:44:44 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2009, 01:41:40 AM
Quote from: Roger on September 28, 2009, 01:31:18 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2009, 01:23:00 AM
Surely Londinium is the Capital of the United Kingdom, as the foreign Roman Imperialists name of the city they built.

Kind of nice twist to Londonderry though isn't it.  It is a shared British and Irish name which should meet the standards set by nationalists. But don't tell Paisley's crowd about the Roman influence of the name London whatever you do. Or maybe you should, so he'd support deleting the London bit.  But then again that'd probaby mean the name remains the same with nationalist support.  Funny old part of the world.

Ya, Home Rule is Rome Rule! Ireland never had as much Rome Rule as London  :D   Surely as an Irishman Roger you would prefer an Irish name on the city rather than an English one(as opposed to a British one), if I was a Northern Unionist I would be arguing Derry is a British name because is a name indigenous to a part of the United Kingdom (not that I agree personaly it should be).
The name Londonderry has a nice richness of all our history contained within, both Irish and British.  Getting rid of the London bit because it is British is simply a sectarian motive.  I've heard about people wanting to remove the insult, but who really is "insulted" by the name so much so that all this judicial process is required?  You need to get out more. It really is daft and petty mindedness by those pursuing it (never mind those who paint out the word London on road signs) and simply a stubborn response by those actively campaigning against renaming the city.  The place is called Londonderry but call it what you will and whatever is easiest to communicate (kind of the way it was in the 1911 census before there was sectarian intent on officially changing the name) and simply get on with it.  I call Carrickfergus simply "Carrick" or Newtownards simply "Ards" all the time but I know what their official names are and I don't give an aeronautical intercourse about it.  Now if someone decided to change them officially for some Politically sectarian reason then I'd oppose it. As all people who have a vested interest in a shared future should.

Read again Roger I was suggesting that the name was Enlgish rather than a British one, as I understand in the Modern United Kingdom most willing (I won't say Loyal as they don't seem very Loyal on the Island of Britain) subjects who live in the Regions other than England want to retain their British Identity but not become part of Greater England.

How about renaming the City entirely, howabout BallyUladh or Ulsterville, CuchullanAgusWilliamsvillle  8)

[Londiniumdoire]
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Roger

No need to change the current perfectly good name reflecting both main traditions in the city  ;)

ziggysego

Don't want to confuse the good people of Tierra Del Fuego
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2009, 11:56:52 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2009, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 26, 2009, 06:57:14 PM
'Sectarian' can be political term every bit as much as religious one. I was referring to the decision as being politically sectarian - the motivation is purely political, is it not? It's about asserting/reasserting a Nationalist identity for the city.
My point is that the idea that this move is to avoid confusion for investors and tourists is largely a minor/side issue/benefit to the name change. It's not the main motivation.

For the record, I obviously call the city Derry and would never refer to it by its 'official' title.
By that questionable logic, a majority decision is sectarian.
In this example, a majority decision about a name which has been in general use for generations. A name whose usage crossed all political/religious boundaries before partition.
Yes, but we're dealing with the present reality. That people/Unionists we're happy using a particular name in the past is largely irrelevant. We have to deal with today's Unionists.
Maguire, will you ever cease this endless slithering, answer the simple question and explain exactly why you claim a majority decision to make official what has been practice for many decades, to be an exercise in sectarianism.
Slithering? How?
Call it 'politically' motivated then, rather than 'sectarian', if that offends you less. But it's a debate that's clearly divided along Nationalist and Unionist lines, and it's about reasserting the Nationalist identity of the City's name, and removing the Unionist identity.

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on September 27, 2009, 09:25:32 PM
Londonderry
Derry
Doire
Derryshire
Doire Cholm Chille
Lovely Derry
Legenderry
Shithole

You decide...

I pick the latter.

Latter can only be used when there are two items to choose from.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Roger on September 27, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
Unihabited and green field sites were popular in those days.

Uninhabited me arse .... when armed thugs had killed or expelled the people who had been living there.  >:(

Roger

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2009, 06:45:55 PM
Quote from: Roger on September 27, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
Unihabited and green field sites were popular in those days.

Uninhabited me arse .... when armed thugs had killed or expelled the people who had been living there.  >:(
What was the name of that bad brit who destroyed it?

Rossfan

I said armed thugs, you know men of violence who decided that  the Irish shouldnt be allowed to live or exist in their own Country.

We're still here  and will be till the end of time. ;)

armaghniac

Irish people getting a good Rogering from the chosen elect.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Roger

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2009, 08:03:19 PM
I'd be fairly certain of that too. We Irish people will indeed be here  ;)

Roger

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2009, 08:22:44 PM
Irish people getting a good Rogering from the chosen elect.

Is that my forefathers or your's or both on both sides? 

Roger

I said armed thugs, you know men of violence who decided that  the Irish shouldnt be allowed to live or exist in their own Country.

Do you know who destroyed the old town of Doire / Colmcille?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Roger on September 29, 2009, 09:03:55 PM
I'd be fairly certain of that too. We Irish people will indeed be here  ;)

Come on Roger admit it ye all want to be Irish not British at all, ye just like all that pomp and ceremony. Question Roger when Britain becomes a Republic will they have to change the name to the United Republic? Sure ye might as well join us at that stage.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

armaghniac

QuoteIs that my forefathers or your's or both on both sides?

It may have been your forefathers, but it wasn't mine as you British didn't manage to massacre my ancestors, which is fortunate otherwise I wouldn't be here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Roger

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2009, 09:21:24 PM
QuoteIs that my forefathers or your's or both on both sides?

It may have been your forefathers, but it wasn't mine as you British didn't manage to massacre my ancestors, which is fortunate otherwise I wouldn't be here.
You are of purest Gaelic blood?

Of course the Gaels arrived here to an uninhabited land didn't they and no other people here apart from Gaels can be "Irish"?