IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

My point is that MW trivialises his actions as if there was no meaning behind them. Regardless of what the fans shouted or didn't shout his actions will hardly endear him to catholics? Or do you think that unfair?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

nifan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 07, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
My point is that MW trivialises his actions as if there was no meaning behind them. Regardless of what the fans shouted or didn't shout his actions will hardly endear him to catholics? Or do you think that unfair?

I think it was better to have a bit of banter with the celtic fans than take a strop, get the stewards involved etc.
Does what the celtic fan shouted mean any prod should be concerned about going to celtic? I dont think so - if it was banter from both sides as said at the time. (I have no doubt some rangers and ni fans took the celtic fans question a lot more seriously too and gurned about it no end too)

I dont really think this incident would come into the thoughts of any catholic player available for NI.

trueblue1234

There's a bit of a difference between what a player does on the pitch and what one fan in a crowd shouts. There are higher expectations levelled at Players. And it's virtually impossible to police the fans unless they are identified. The right actions would have been to ignore the fans. Like most soccer players do when they are getting banter or stick from the crowd. But Healy decided against and took part in point scoring.

Applesisapples

The current climate to which I refer is the political and social climate that sees our society still divided over symbols, anthems etc.I choose to support the ROI because they represent my identity, NI doesn't.

angermanagement

Trueblue catch yourself on Healy was having a bit of fun with the Celtic supporters in a pre season friendly which according to most eye witnesses most fans took it as a bit of fun the way it was supposed to be. Everytime McLean opens his mouth he's digging a bigger hole for himself.

Most professional footballers are only interested in themselves and doing whatever it takes to further their own careers, if that means playing for a country they don't feel any ties to they'll do it. I'm sure the likes of McGinn & McCourt would loved to have played for the Republic but the chance came to play for NI first they took it to further their own professional careers.

I'm sure there's plenty on this board who were supporting NI in 1982 and 1986 and only changed allegiances when the Republic started competing during Euro 88.

Applesisapples

Actually McCourt and Maginn aren't good enough to play for either team, hence the bit parts they play with NI.

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 07, 2012, 09:53:04 AM
The current climate to which I refer is the political and social climate that sees our society still divided over symbols, anthems etc.I choose to support the ROI because they represent my identity, NI doesn't.

You appear to assume that a unified team would be "unacceptable to NI fans" because of the symbols and anthems   . This pre-supposes that any unified team will adopt those presently used  by the Republic.

nifan

Quote from: angermanagement on June 07, 2012, 10:01:06 AM
Trueblue catch yourself on Healy was having a bit of fun with the Celtic supporters in a pre season friendly which according to most eye witnesses most fans took it as a bit of fun the way it was supposed to be. Everytime McLean opens his mouth he's digging a bigger hole for himself.

Absolutely - if he was po faced about the whole thing some would be having a go that he was unwilling to interact with the celtic fans and take offence to this as well.

In fairness to mcclean hes been asked about this enough times - they should just stop asking him. Journalists are looking for the confrontational soundbite though, so they wont.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on June 07, 2012, 10:05:53 AM

You appear to assume that a unified team would be "unacceptable to NI fans" because of the symbols and anthems   . This pre-supposes that any unified team will adopt those presently used  by the Republic.
Not at all, any unified team by virtue of its existence would be an unacceptable symbol to many NI fans, in the same way many catholic/nationalists find the NI team unacceptable.

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 07, 2012, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Olaf on June 07, 2012, 10:05:53 AM

Not at all, any unified team by virtue of its existence would be an unacceptable symbol to many NI fans, in the same way many catholic/nationalists find the NI team unacceptable.

What ? A team as a symbol?? Flags, emblems maybe, but a team?

trueblue1234

Quote from: nifan on June 07, 2012, 10:15:47 AM

Absolutely - if he was po faced about the whole thing some would be having a go that he was unwilling to interact with the celtic fans and take offence to this as well.

In fairness to mcclean hes been asked about this enough times - they should just stop asking him. Journalists are looking for the confrontational soundbite though, so they wont.

Showing support for a sectarian organisation that has caused trouble throughout the country and divided communities. Aye great bit of fun that. You can't honestly expect anyone to believe he didn't realise it wouldn't endear him to Catholics whether they support NI or not. 

fitzroyalty

Jesus he was only having the craic with some fans winding him up!

trileacman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 07, 2012, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on June 07, 2012, 10:15:47 AM

Showing support for a sectarian organisation that has caused trouble throughout the country and divided communities. Aye great bit of fun that. You can't honestly expect anyone to believe he didn't realise it wouldn't endear him to Catholics whether they support NI or not.

And if he ignored it and came out afterwards and complained to the media about the abuse you'd probably call him a sore loser and that it was all just a bit of fun!

Healy can't win here, if Celtic support are going to try and wind up a player how can they react so distressed if they in turn are wound up. f**king crying c***ts, dry your eyes, they fans tried to annoy him by pointing his religious background, he replied in kind.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 07, 2012, 11:47:25 AM

Showing support for a sectarian organisation that has caused trouble throughout the country and divided communities.

Playing an imaginary flute suddenly equates to Showing support for a sectarian organisation that has caused trouble throughout the country and divided communities.

Jesus you must have been truly disgusted at this so, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qykUdp4qRXE
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trueblue1234

Right what did you see the flute playing motion as then if not linked to the 12th celebrations? Or maybe you don't agree that the OO is a sectarian organisation?  I don't think there's any doubt on anyone's side what the actions represented.
If he had of ignored it then there wouldn't be any word about it. Players get abuse of some sort in virtually every game, while not nice it's expected. But you only hear about it when the player reacts.  So No I don't believe people would have been crying about it afterwards if he did nothing. Infact I don't think people would have noticed anything.