IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

>:( >:( >:( >:( Pissed off with this report in the unionist Sunday Life to-day indicating that Fawlty Towers manager Worthington is begging Derry's Darren Gibson to play for the monocultural six county team.

Don't even think about it Darren, please

ExiledGael

If you're going to plead with the young man at least spell his name right, it's Darron Gibson.
Don't think he'll play for NI, too much hassle considering where he's from. Don't think he'd be too popular with the fans either.
He's played underage with all the Ireland squads, obviously built up relationships etc with players and coaches, and has broke through onto the senior squads so don't see what Worthy has to offer him.

inisceithleann

Agree ExiledGael, I think he'll stay with Ireland. I think Staunton rates him but he'll need to go out on loan preferably to a Premiership club before he gets a chance at senior level.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

oakleaf stateside

Dont Do It

SammyG

QuoteWorthy aims to nick United's Gibbo from Republic
Sunday, August 19, 2007

By Paul Ferguson

Peacemaker Nigel Worthington is ready to roll out the welcome mat for Manchester United rising star Darron Gibson, the talented teenager at the centre of an international tug-of-war between the IFA and their southern neighbours, the FAI.

After ending the self-imposed exile of West Ham's George McCartney in midweek, Worthy is now ready to turn his diplomatic skills to solving the disputed issue of kid Gibson's football nationality.

Worthington will today begin preparing his team for Wednesday's vital European qualifying match against Liechtenstein at Windsor Park, ready to offer the reluctant teenager, who last year insisted he didn't want to play for Northern Ireland, the chance to save his international career.

And in doing so, join a progressive team who are in a great position to reach the Euro 2008 finals.

Londonderry-born Gibson, wanted by both associations, is awaiting a FIFA decision on which country their rules make him eligible to represent.

The 19-year-old, claimed by the Republic because he holds an Irish passport, has played the majority of his under-age international football with the south after switching allegiances because of a fall-out with Northern Ireland under-16 coaches over a trial at Man United.

The holding midfielder, who can also operate as a defender, is yet to make his senior international debut but was selected as a substitute by Steve Staunton for the Republic's European qualifying victory over San Marino in February.

And it is understood Staunton sees Gibson, winner of Man United's prestigious 'Jimmy Murphy Award' in May 2006 for being the best Academy player, as an integral part of the Republic's future.

However Worthington is preparing to welcome him into the Northern Ireland international set-up after holding a number of telephone conversations with Gibson since he was appointed manager on June 1.

Worthington told Sunday Life: "I'm looking forward to Darron playing for Northern Ireland.

"He's been born in the North so I think it's only right that the place of birth is the country that you play for."

Worthington's view is shared by Irish FA Chief Executive Howard Wells who is adamant, under FIFA rules, that the Londonderry lad does not qualify to play for a team currently sitting third in Group D behind Germany and the Czech Republic.

Article 15 of the FIFA Statues states that qualification to play international football depends on one of four criteria being fulfilled:

lThe player was born on the territory of the relevant Association.

lHis biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association.

lHis grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association.

lHe has lived continuously for at least two years on the territory of the relevant Association.

Gibson ticks all those boxes - for Northern Ireland.

On that basis, Irish FA chiefs and boss Worthington fully expect FIFA to rule that Gibson is ineligible to play for the Republic and are eagerly awaiting the decision.

If the ruling comes through in the next 10 days, Gibson could even be called into the squad to face Latvia and Iceland at the start of next month. Worthington, operating a clean slate policy, is as keen as that to bolster his squad with every available top flight player in a determined bid to get us to our first Euro finals next summer.

Wells says: "I've written as recently as last week to FIFA again, asking them to clarify the situation regarding the player's eligibility.

"They haven't responded but I know that the ball is in the court of the FAI.

"FIFA have written to the FA of Ireland and they haven't had a response.

"When I wrote to FIFA, I obviously made it clear that we need clarification on the whole principle of the situation."

When contacted by Sunday Life for their response to the IFA claims, an FAI spokesman e-mailed us back the reply: "As this matter is the subject of ongoing correspondence the Football Association of Ireland will not be making any public comment at this time."

A statement, perhaps, on how sensitive the issue is viewed at Merrion Square.

But, despite him declaring for the Republic, Worthington remains a Gibson fan and insists he would be welcomed with open arms into the Northern Ireland football family.

There's already one friendly face in Worthy's squad - Gibson's Old Trafford team-mate and pal Jonny Evans who joined him on loan from Manchester United to Royal Antwerp in Belgium last season.

Worthy revealed: "I've spoken to Darron on two or three different occasions emphasising that I would like his availability to play for Northern Ireland clarified.

"I've also emphasised very strongly how much I would like him to be involved with us whether it be with the under-21's or the senior squad.

"I want him involved with Northern Ireland and it's a situation that has to be resolved.

"We await clarification and when FIFA make the ruling, hopefully Darron can get on with playing his international football with Northern Ireland."

Windsor Avenue Chief Executive Wells has enjoyed a decent working relationship with the FAI and is at pains to stress that the Irish FA's protests to FIFA regarding Gibson's eligibility to play for the Republic are not personal.

Wells argues it is a matter of principle and it is believed the Irish FA also plan to ask FIFA to investigate whether Alex Bruce, son of Birmingham City boss Steve, whose grandmother was born in Bangor, Co Down, is eligible to play for Stephen Staunton's men, as claimed.

Also under scrutiny are former Northern Ireland under-age players Tony Kane and Crewe Alexandra midfielder Michael O'Connor

Wells says: "This is an issue to do with player eligibility according to FIFA's own rules. It's a shame that Darron Gibson has become the focal point of this.

"But really it's about the principle that needs to be resolved, based on player eligibility, so that it is applied consistently."

Did you read a different article Tony? I can't see any mention of begging anybody, as far as I can see, it simply states the facts, that Gibson isn't elligible for the RoI (with some new info on the FAI refusing to reply to FIFA) and Worthington would be happy to have him if he wants to play for the original Ireland. Hardly an earth shattering revelation.

Aristotle Flynn

Why is there so much of this shite on a GAA Board? Who gives a flying feck?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

T Fearon

Sammy when Brian Kerr sounded Chris Baird out about playing for his native Country, the FAI were beggars according to OWC.

Whats the difference here?

Let the players themselves decide which team they want to play for and keep the bureaucrats and failed Norwich managers out of the picture

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2007, 09:38:31 AM
Sammy when Brian Kerr sounded Chris Baird out about playing for his native Country, the FAI were beggars according to OWC.

The differnce is that Chris Baird didn't qualify for the RoI and Brian Kerr was trying to poach him. Gibson qualifies for NI (and doesn't have any connection to the RoI) so it would be more surprising if he wasn't called by the manager.
Let the players themselves decide which team they want to play for and keep the bureaucrats and failed Norwich managers out of the picture
Complete shite. The rules are there for a reason, players can only play if they're qualified to. If you could just decide who to play for, everybody would choose Brazil. I presume you've now conceded that DG isn't elligible and are now going for the just ignore the rules option?

T Fearon

DG qualifies to play for Ireland by virtue of his Irish Passport. Numerous 6 county players have played in Irish teams at underage level with no comeback so chill out and watch as the All Ireland team takes shape ;D

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2007, 09:48:50 AM
DG qualifies to play for Ireland by virtue of his Irish Passport.
Totally irrelevant
Numerous 6 county players have played in Irish teams at underage level with no comeback
Two things
1) Underage teams have different elligibility rules
2) Would you care to name the 'numerous' players?

Armagh4SamAgain

The could beg me all they want an I'd play for tyhem
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Donagh

Stan has called him into the squad for the Denmark game:

Staunton moves to secure Gibson
Darron Gibson and Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton
Staunton is attempting to keep Gibson in the Republic set-up
Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton has called up Manchester United prospect Darron Gibson to his squad for Wednesday's friendly in Denmark.

Staunton's decision came after Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington revealed that he was trying to persuade Gibson to switch allegiance from the Republic.

The 19-year-old, who was born in Londonderry, is currently at the centre of a dispute between the two countries.

Paul McShane and Stephen Elliott have pulled out of the Republic squad.

McShane needed stitches to a head wound picked up in Sunderland's defeat by Wigan on Saturday while Elliott has an ankle injury.

Manager Steve Staunton is expected to announce replacements for the duo on Monday.

Gibson played for Northern Ireland U16s but then opted for the Republic.

Since then, he has earned U17, U19 and U21 caps for the Republic and he was scheduled to be involved in Tuesday's U21 international against Germany in Furth.

Gibson has not played for the Republic at senior level although he was a non-playing substitute in a Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino.

The Irish FA, which governs football in Northern Ireland, is awaiting a Fifa ruling on Gibson's eligibility.

Richard Dunne sustained a head gash in Manchester City's win over Manchester United on Sunday but he is expected to arrive in Dublin on Monday.

His club-mate Stephen Ireland didn't play in the Manchester derby because of illness but Staunton is hoping that the midfielder will link up with the squad.

Staunton is in mourning after the death of his father Tom following a long illness.

Mr Staunton's funeral takes place in Dundalk on Monday morning and the Republic manager will rejoin the Irish squad on Tuesday.

T Fearon

1 nil to the Boys in Green 1-0 to the Boys in Green! ;D ;D ;D ;D. Sammy what did you say about the rules?

Never mind we'll allow Worthington to keep Antrim underage hurlers who would never have made the grade with the real Ireland team ;)

Sad news about Steven Staunton's father. A Garda Sergeant in Dundalk for many years.

MW

Erm, let's see...

Chris Baird - Northern Ireland under-21 and youth international, born and brought up in Northern Ireland, and was approached by the Republic of Ireland management despite having no birth/ancestry/residence connection to the Republic of Ireland

Darron Gibson - Former Northern Ireland youth international, born and brought up in Northern Ireland, switched to the Republic of Ireland at youth level because he fell out with the coaching staff, approached by the Northern Ireland management to see if he would consider returning