Would Sean Kelly make a good Director General?

Started by agorm, August 17, 2007, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

I dont think he would, he would find it difficult to avoid publicity to the probable detriment of his objectives.

Kelly to apply for GAA DG role?
Friday, 17 August 2007 14:44
Former GAA President Seán Kelly has not ruled out throwing his hat into the ring for the position of Director General of the GAA when Liam Mulvihill steps down early next year.

Speaking on An Saol ó Dheas on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, Kelly said he would consider applying, but the fact that the job is based at GAA Headquarters in Croke Park would be a factor in his decision.

'It's nice to hear that some people think I would be suitable for the position of Director General and I will certainly look at the job and think about it, because it is definitely the biggest job in sport in this country, and because I have been involved in the GAA all my life I would consider applying for the position,' said Kelly.

'Of course if the job was based in Killarney I would have no doubts about applying but I suppose if you get the job you would have to go to Dublin full-time because it's a seven-days-a-week job, and you have to be constantly available because urgent matters can arise at any time.'

'At the same time I will be thinking of it, but a lot of people will be thinking of applying for the position.'

johnpower

inisceithleann

I think he'd be a great DG. Always thought he came across very well as President. But they might want someone with a bit more business acumen, not just a good GAA man as Peter Quinn has stated.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

agorm

I dont think he would. I think that he did a pretty decent job as President but this is a way way different position. Mulvihill was such a success and he never basked in the limelight. I think Kelly would and i doubt if he as skilled an administrator.

Pangurban

No Way, his ego would get in the way, his period as president could hardly be described as a resounding success and DG is a much more demanding post

johnpower

What does the DG position involve . ? Is the DG involved in stadium planning \events management or are they responsible for setting the strategy for the GAA ?. Does anyone of a clear insiight of what the position involves ?

clarshack

met sean kelly at our gala do in february. found he was dead on even though i disagreed with him opening up croke park. miceal greenan was there that night as well and had a right go at kelly in his speech (greenans speech).

stephenite

Liam O'Neill is beginning to sicken my hole - never out of the papers while he seeks to raise his profile for the next Presidential campaign. I think this job should be go to suitably qualified person, who has experience running large organisations, I don't think this job should be touched by any former GAA 'official'
But of course this is what will happen, and we'll end up with some gombeen like Kellly or O'Neill, god help us

TacadoirArdMhacha

I had previously assumed that, as a former presient, Kelly would be unlikely to be considered for the job. Much as it may be important to some that the new president be some one previously heralded as a grand leader, I'd be happy enough to see a previously unknown official take the challenge over. To be blunt, I'd trust a crowd of county bound members before I'd trust a crowd of media lads!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Get a Jersey

No he wouldn't! Absolutely not. I have to say he was on a glory trip all the way, he used the position to get his present appointment, nice cushy one too.
Liam O Neill impressed me early on but I think he too is of similar stock. Talented alright but wouldn't go for him.
This job requires somebody who can work effectively behind the scenes, work with a multitude of committees and keep them all on side and on track.
Should be somebody with as much experience as possible in the Association; as a player, as a club administrator, as a county offiical even possibly an inter county player / manager.
Essential he understands what makes the GAA tick and the importance of the club as mucha s the county.
Three people spring to mind.
Paraic Duffy, Eugene Young, Christy Cooney.

orangeman

No way - he 'd be awful - we've enough Kerry influence on a Sunday night - we don't want or need anymore.

Uladh

The most important strength for the next director general must be business savvy. we are a huge organisation in the context of this country and someone with forsight and the ability to cajole people from both ends of the GAA spectrum is needed. do any of the reported candidates meet these criteria?

The GAA needs to head hunt the best from the business world, with an eye towards a sporting background.

Onlooker

Sean Kelly would definitely NOT be a good Director General.  There will be several better candidates in the field and I would be surprised if he would even be interested.  He got a really cushy job out of his term as President.  I do.'nt think any Ex President should be in the running for any such job in the GAA.

thebandit

I would be surprised if Duffy gets it - wouldn't be my choice, but a talented man nonetheless