Would Sean Kelly make a good Director General?

Started by agorm, August 17, 2007, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

rrhf

johnpower

Quote from: Uladh on August 18, 2007, 11:01:17 AM
The most important strength for the next director general must be business savvy. we are a huge organisation in the context of this country and someone with forsight and the ability to cajole people from both ends of the GAA spectrum is needed. do any of the reported candidates meet these criteria?

The GAA needs to head hunt the best from the business world, with an eye towards a sporting background.

Is the Gaa a business organisation ?. I think who ever gets the job must be a poliitical animal who must be pepared to fight the cause of the GAA at every turn . They must be able to influence Goverment , Local Authorities , semi states (RTE) . They must also put in place a transparent,reliable and equitable Disciplinary system . The croke park issue is now gone (well done Sean Kelly ) I see the next big issue being professionalism .The DG job is not an easy one . Liam Mullvihall seemed to me to concentrate on Croke Park and not get (overtly at least ) in the politics of the GAA . Peter Quinn and Sean Kelly are 2 canditiates that spring to mind dont know too much of Duffy

Uladh

The GAA is not a business organisation but the DG must have astute business acumen. there are more than enough roles within the association which are overtly political and sociological. The DG is too important for that.

Rossfan

Isnt it the general feeling that Duffy was being groomed for the job over the last year or two??
As for Seán Kelly - wouldnt be able for the quiet behind the scenes nature of  the Ard Stiúrthóir role.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnpower

I was just thinking it really is a key appointment .God a Fran Rooney type character would be a disaster  . The history of the position is for a safe pair of hands who is prepared to give the job 20-25 years . In the corporate world of today that is unheard of . I think it will be someone from the public sector