Interesting offer from the Aussies

Started by Tiger Craig, August 16, 2007, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

You'll not have heard of them. thats the result of not making it in rugby

full back

Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 12:04:07 PM
[Well how many player do you know that went other code -> GAA after their 20 odd?

What are you talking about gnevin ???

Your original point was AFL players would not be fit enough to play GAA
Complete bollocks, then you tried to justify it by saying that Eric Miller was too big for GAA

thebandit

So basically they want to take our best prospects and give us the guys who aren't good enough for their game.

Arrogance of the highest order

limerickros

Do any clubs have aussie lads playing with them. There must be thousands of aussies in the country at present. Some of them must be playing Junior football

stephenite

Kennelly would walk back onto any GAA team in the country - simple as that. The fact is that it's harder to convert to AFL from GAA than vice versa, and the only substantial reason for this is the difference in the shape of the ball, it's a lot easier for anyone to read the bounce of a round ball than an oval one - fact.

As for the nuances of the game, it's a valid enough point but I think that saying it would take two years is stretching it a bit. If Martin Clarke can make first grade in AFL in such a short space of time, a similiarly talented individual at the same stage should be able to make the transition to GAA in the same space of time at least.

Fact remains the idea itself is an ill thought out notion of a fool who has no idea what he's talking about.

DUBSFORSAM1

Well considering in the International Rules they can come over and play with a round ball after a couple of weeks training and give our players a hiding seems to imply that they would comfortably cope with GAA rules....once they don't tackle...

inisceithleann

Quote from: limerickros on August 16, 2007, 12:18:50 PM
Do any clubs have aussie lads playing with them. There must be thousands of aussies in the country at present. Some of them must be playing Junior football

We had a Kiwi rugby player play junior level with us a few years ago. Granted he wasn't aussie and he didn't play aussie rules but he took the game up from scratch and top scored with a goal and a few points in his first game. It proved to us that the game can be picked up very quickly. Soloing the ball was his biggest difficulty but his strength, fitness and speed overcame this and if he'd kept at it could have been a great player.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Star Spangler

Quote from: Hardy on August 16, 2007, 09:00:16 AM
QuoteThe Tigers could provide players, who don't reach the top AFL level, to Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association.

This piece of arrogance perfectly illustrates the attitiude of the AFL and the Aussie Rules community in general to our game and the GAA. They poach our very best and, by way of recompense, offer us their rejects who, though not good enough for their game would somehow be an addition to ours.

Nail on the head Hardy.  Or they could always play for Kilkenny.

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on August 16, 2007, 12:10:08 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 12:04:07 PM
[Well how many player do you know that went other code -> GAA after their 20 odd?

What are you talking about gnevin ???

Your original point was AFL players would not be fit enough to play GAA
Complete bollocks, then you tried to justify it by saying that Eric Miller was too big for GAA
No what wasn't my point ffs what i said is that they would not be GAA fit which included,dodging tackles , shooting on the run , running and catching for 70 minutes straight with no interchange etc etc
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2007, 12:36:28 PM
Kennelly would walk back onto any GAA team in the country - simple as that. The fact is that it's harder to convert to AFL from GAA than vice versa, and the only substantial reason for this is the difference in the shape of the ball, it's a lot easier for anyone to read the bounce of a round ball than an oval one - fact.

Well if thats true Gaelic football in the most unskilled game in the world , considering 2 hurlers are currently over in aus in AFL 1st teams .

Gaelic football , involves a lot more skill than AFL
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

full back

Aye I suppose you are right
In the AFL they dont run, catch or dodge tackles amongst other things

fearglasmor

Foreget about the shape of the ball, thats just a red herring.

The critical difference is the tackle. If its bred into you to grab your opponent round the waist it will frustrate you to have to stand off and shadow,  and vice versa.

But of course the original post was a lame brain notion.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 02:20:37 PM

Well if thats true Gaelic football in the most unskilled game in the world , considering 2 hurlers are currently over in aus in AFL 1st teams .

I disagree i think AfL is a harder game to play..Have you ever tried kicking a Aussie Rules ball 50 yards between the posts,IMHO it a lot harder than kicking a gaelic football between two posts from the same distance
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 02:32:51 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 02:20:37 PM

I disagree i think AfL is a harder game to play..Have you ever tried kicking a Aussie Rules ball 50 yards between the posts,IMHO it a lot harder than kicking a gaelic football between two posts from the same distance
2 skills required for this game , catching and it kicking and not even on the run , kicking from a stop and catching most often from a standstill . Your just not use to the ball LL and the  Gaelic style kick out swinging doesn't help . I'm sure if you put in a couple of  weeks of pratice you'd be alot better and remember once you marked the ball you have up 30 seconds to set your self up and kick .

The Real Laoislad

I actually played it when i spent a year down under Gnevin and i thought it was very difficult to be honest but thats just me i was never much good at Gaelic either i was always better at hurling and at that other sport that i shouldn't mention around the Gaa side of the board!!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.