Interesting offer from the Aussies

Started by Tiger Craig, August 16, 2007, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Yea read his traning regime for a week. Starts with an hours boxing traning every morning!  ::)

full back

Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 08:47:56 AM
Was discussing this over the weekend and it was said that his touch would be gone and while is AFL fit he's not Gaelic football fit.

Come off it gnevin. Are you trying to say guys in the AFL arent as fit as Gaelic footballers? ::)

his holiness nb

This story has to be a pisstake, surely.
Or are they that dumb?
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on August 16, 2007, 10:09:23 AM
Was discussing this over the weekend and it was said that his touch would be gone and while is AFL fit he's not Gaelic football fit.

Come off it gnevin. Are you trying to say guys in the AFL arent as fit as Gaelic footballers? ::)
No i'm saying they are a different kind of fit , like Rugby players are a different kind of fit to GAA players or that hurling who was on the road to croker who was told he maybe be Hurling fit but he not cycling fit
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

full back

Off course hurling fit isnt anything like cycling fit!
Totally different set of muscles etc etc
But GAA & AFL - there are many many similarities, hence the International rules.
No doubt a player in the AFL would be fit to play GAA without a shadow of a doubt

Uladh

An australian, with no background in our game, could not make it at our game. certainly their fitness is more than adequate but the nuances of playing the game are so different from the afl. it would take a top level professional from the afl two years to get his skills and understanding of the game to a level where he could compete for a place on a county panel. if you throw one of them into a decent level of club football, you could maybe use them at midfield with strict orders to win it and lay it off. the frees he'd give away would kill a team and you'd be playing with 14 men for long periods of games i'd imagine.

full back

No doubt uladh it would take them time to adjust to our game, but I was talking about gnevin saying they wouldnt be fit enough to play GAA ::)

lynchbhoy

it would be viable if the aussies who take it up are actually after a professional business contract - after not making it in aussie rules, and this was a back door easy route into getting a 'green card'.

After this , it would be up to the actual individuals as to how good they would be.
Yes they would be fit and strong, good fielders  but would have to learn a whole lot at club level before being good in the club game, THEN they may be considered for inter county. But thats the same chance all promising youngsters have. But as the aussies will already have a bit of PR behind them , they would stand a better chance of getting called up. Obv not in the various begrudgery loving counties (like Cavan) etc that would never call them up and find various reasons for this.... ;)

so not a piss take if its a cunning ruse to get employment in Ireland by the aussies
just repatriating the historical convicts

hmmmm I wonder could we do something like this with the 'orangy' lads in the north with England/scotland .... ;) :D

orangeman

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on August 16, 2007, 10:35:30 AM
Off course hurling fit isnt anything like cycling fit!
Totally different set of muscles etc etc
But GAA & AFL - there are many many similarities, hence the International rules.
No doubt a player in the AFL would be fit to play GAA without a shadow of a doubt

The amount of bulk they have isn't required in our games like Eric Miller who thought he'd walk on to the Dublin panel anyone who seen him said he was to big for the game.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

there are feck all AFL players with the bulk of eric miller

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on August 16, 2007, 11:53:34 AM
there are feck all AFL players with the bulk of eric miller
::)

I know that it was just an example

full back

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Black and white on August 16, 2007, 08:44:52 AM
he would walk straight into the team never mind the panel, he is a f**king pro with a gaa background

I think the least of Kennelly's problems if he came back would be physical fitness. AFL players are supremely fit and they are not rugby player bulky. They are invariably all lean.

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on August 16, 2007, 12:00:28 PM
Good example gnevin :D
Well how many player do you know that went other code -> GAA after their 20 odd?