Interesting offer from the Aussies

Started by Tiger Craig, August 16, 2007, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

you lads dont have a clue do you ?

..its either that or else its just a complete pisstake.

galla

So there are going to be professional players in GAA I dont think so

Tiger Craig

They aren't talking about professionals, they are talking about guys who were top juniors, have been on AFL club lists and had all the top training etc, but aren't going to make the big time - generally because they are too small.

Richmond (the club in the article, and the one I follow) are experts in this - they keep recruiting small skilful players who are duds in the big time - hence Richmond consistently sucking.

stephenite

I briefly thought about this a few weeks ago, coincidentally while watching Richmond take a hiding from the Swans at the SCG. I say briefly because it only took me a few seconds to realise what an absurd idea it is.

First off why would an AFL player (failed or not) want to go to Ireland to play GAA? They will not be paid, are they going to go the other side of the world to work in a f**king bank, and play a bit of ball in the evenings? Evenings where the weather will, 99% of the time, not exactly be what they are used to.
Unless there is a viable financial reward it will not take off. And there will not be a viable financial reward

Secondly, who will they play for?
Are GAA clubs expected to send people to 'scout' for these lads? Do the clubs get first call on them over the county if they were even deemed good enough, or is it the counties that 'scout' for them, and if so what club do they play for within that county?
Considering that the root of the GAA is the club you come from, do they all have to play for Dublin as that's where they'll most likely land?

The lifestyle argument is a bit off point as well, as someone who has lived in both countries, I cannot see too many Aussies moving over 'the lifestyle'. Certainly there are many who have settled in Ireland but I'd doubt it was for lifestyle of modern Ireland.

Stupid idea that will never take off

Gnevin

Unlike Aussies rules i don't think you could just walk on to a panel in 6 months infact if Tadhg Kennelly returned tomorrow i'd doubt he'd get on the Kerry panel next year.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Black and white

he would walk straight into the team never mind the panel, he is a f**king pro with a gaa background

Gnevin

Quote from: Black and white on August 16, 2007, 08:44:52 AM
he would walk straight into the team never mind the panel, he is a f**king pro with a gaa background
Was discussing this over the weekend and it was said that his touch would be gone and while is AFL fit he's not Gaelic football fit.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

FermGael

Agree.  He would walk straight into any team in the country.  An unbelievable player in both codes.
As for the player swap(i.e AFL-GAA), it will never happen. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Hardy

QuoteThe Tigers could provide players, who don't reach the top AFL level, to Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association.

This piece of arrogance perfectly illustrates the attitiude of the AFL and the Aussie Rules community in general to our game and the GAA. They poach our very best and, by way of recompense, offer us their rejects who, though not good enough for their game would somehow be an addition to ours.

clarshack

Quote from: Gnevin on August 16, 2007, 08:47:56 AM
Was discussing this over the weekend and it was said that his touch would be gone and while is AFL fit he's not Gaelic football fit.

read somewhere recently that afl players are the fittest athletes in the world. in the last 2 compromise rules series the australians were far fitter hence why ireland got stuffed both times.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: clarshack on August 16, 2007, 09:15:39 AM

read somewhere recently that afl players are the fittest athletes in the world. in the last 2 compromise rules series the australians were far fitter hence why ireland got stuffed both times.

thats to be expected clarshack they are full time pros .sean og said on the programee that setanta trains 4 times a day compared the intercounty player who trains 4 times per week
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gnevin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 16, 2007, 09:20:54 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 16, 2007, 09:15:39 AM

thats to be expected clarshack they are full time pros .sean og said on the programee that setanta trains 4 times a day compared the intercounty player who trains 4 times per week
plus that's all the game is run and catch

Hardy

Ah in fairness, there's more to it than that. There's punch. And elbow and clothesline and bludgeon and see-how-short-you-can-get-your-shorts. Oh - and look after your hair, above all else.

the Deel Rover

sure they were even training setanta how to box ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001