Dublin v Kerry all ireland SF

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 12, 2007, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burn the hurl

any word of when tickets go on sale on ticket master - they're gonna be like gold dust!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: burn the hurl on August 16, 2007, 12:01:09 PM
any word of when tickets go on sale on ticket master - they're gonna be like gold dust!!

Any kind of dust around the Dubs won't last too long.

stephenite

Quote from: blanketattack on August 16, 2007, 11:20:29 AM
A good article but a few mistakes in it. Kerry didn't play Dublin in '86. Also Kerry beat Dublin by a bigger margin in '75 than they did in '84 or '85.
Also, he contradicts himself. If Dublin and Kerry isn't a rivalry on the basis that Kerry are so dominant over Dublin, then Down and Kerry definitely isn't a rivalry seeing that Down have a 100% record over Kerry.

The article mentioned that fact re Down having never been beaten by Kerry, think you're missing the point there Blanketattack.
The fact they haven't beaten Down is something that strongly irks the Kerrymen, thus the fact they're ahppy ti atlk up the Dubs as their great rivals

blanketattack

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2007, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 16, 2007, 11:20:29 AM
A good article but a few mistakes in it. Kerry didn't play Dublin in '86. Also Kerry beat Dublin by a bigger margin in '75 than they did in '84 or '85.
Also, he contradicts himself. If Dublin and Kerry isn't a rivalry on the basis that Kerry are so dominant over Dublin, then Down and Kerry definitely isn't a rivalry seeing that Down have a 100% record over Kerry.

The article mentioned that fact re Down having never been beaten by Kerry, think you're missing the point there Blanketattack.
The fact they haven't beaten Down is something that strongly irks the Kerrymen, thus the fact they're ahppy ti atlk up the Dubs as their great rivals

I did get the point but Kerry are happy to talk up any opponent regardless of whether it's teams they've good record against like Dublin or a bad record like Down. In fact most teams talk up their opponents regardless how their track record is against them.
Anyway Dublin-Kerry isn't the only match-up that shouldn't be considered a rivalry due to one team's dominace over the other. As I said Down-Kerry shouldn't be either. Also Meath-Cork isn't much of a rivalry seeing that Cork have only won once in their 5 or 6 meetings.

magpie seanie

QuoteAlso Meath-Cork isn't much of a rivalry

Tell Billy Morgan that. And can I be there when you do!

Gnevin

Quote from: burn the hurl on August 16, 2007, 12:01:09 PM
No tickets on public sale
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magickingdom

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 15, 2007, 10:51:09 AM
There was no dirt in the game at all from what I saw.

tell that to donaghy who suffered from concussion and had to go to cork on monday for a scan..

dubinhell

Quote from: magickingdom on August 16, 2007, 03:02:40 PM
tell that to donaghy who suffered from concussion and had to go to cork on monday for a scan..

Is there any of the Kerry team not injured now ?  ;)

Declan

Just back in the real world. Its amazing how out of touch you can get if you really want to. No TV,Papers or internet for 3 and half weeks. Nearly went cold turkey altogether!!
Our record against Kerry is brutal and I can still remember my ould fellas words of wisdom to me in 1975 as we went into Croker - "we can never beat these boys" - How right he was as he consoled me later that day. Anyway forgetting about history and tradition I think this is as good a chance we'll have of beating Kerry as we'll ever have but if they perform to their full capabilities I think we may come up short. 

jimmykeaveney

To me the biggest x-factor is whether Kerry will have the hunger needed to get through a game like this. The reason Sam hasn't been retained since 1990 is usually that somewhere along the line in a match, the champions suddenly realise that the hunger just isn't there. How many All-Ireland champions since 1990 have gone out by turning in flat, anaemic performances. Most of them. Think Cork '91, Down '92 and '95, Dublin '96, Kerry '98, Galway '99, Meath '00, Kerry '01, Galway '02, Tyrone '04 and '06. In their last two games Kerry have just about got there. There are signs that the savage hunger needed to win the All-Ireland may not be there this year. However we won't know if this is true until about ten minutes into the second half on Sunday week.

Regardless of whether Kerry have the hunger, I expect Dublin to really put it up to them this time, it is a much better team than the ones that lost in 2001 and 2004.  But there still can be no argument that man for man ability-wise, Kerry are a better team. Logical analysis points to a victory for them.

If Kerry don't have the hunger on the day, Dublin could over-run them and this is their best chance. But the assumption has to be that Kerry will have the hunger, although I don't think they are as good a team as last year, especially with the loss of Moynihan and McCarthy.

Donaghy mightn't have been brilliant against Monaghan, but for all that he still created a goal, had a legitimate one disallowed himself and flashed another one wide with the goal at his mercy. It's a huge ask of a rookie full back like Ross McConnell, who had problems with Eoin Bradley against Derry to keep Donaghy under control. Dublin's main problem defensively this year in my opinion has been the loose marking of Bryan Cullen. Against both Laois and Derry the defence was wide open up the middle at times and with greyhounds like Eoin Brosnan and Sean O'Sullivan in the half forward line this could spell disaster. Possibly a "sweeper" might be employed between the full-back and half-back lines? Failure to sort this problem may well result in killer goals. Then there is the Gooch to think about. Paul Casey is another disaster waiting to happen in the half back line. Dublin have a chance of winning but a lot of things have to go right. I expect them to play it extremely physical right from the start similar to Tyrone in 2003.

If  Kerry have the hunger, I'd tip them by about 3 or 4 points. If not, Dublin to win.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

ExiledGael

Just back in the real world myself, when is this match? Sunday week?
Is there a minor semi-final before it?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 16, 2007, 06:42:42 PM
Just back in the real world myself, when is this match? Sunday week?
Is there a minor semi-final before it?

Yeah Laois v Derry.

dubsnsubs

To me the biggest x-factor is whether Kerry will have the hunger needed to get through a game like this. The reason Sam hasn't been retained since 1990 is usually that somewhere along the line in a match, the champions suddenly realise that the hunger just isn't there. How many All-Ireland champions since 1990 have gone out by turning in flat, anaemic performances. Most of them. Think Cork '91, Down '92 and '95, Dublin '96, Kerry '98, Galway '99, Meath '00, Kerry '01, Galway '02, Tyrone '04 and '06. In their last two games Kerry have just about got there. There are signs that the savage hunger needed to win the All-Ireland may not be there this year. However we won't know if this is true until about ten minutes into the second half on Sunday week.

Regardless of whether Kerry have the hunger, I expect Dublin to really put it up to them this time, it is a much better team than the ones that lost in 2001 and 2004.  But there still can be no argument that man for man ability-wise, Kerry are a better team. Logical analysis points to a victory for them.

If Kerry don't have the hunger on the day, Dublin could over-run them and this is their best chance. But the assumption has to be that Kerry will have the hunger, although I don't think they are as good a team as last year, especially with the loss of Moynihan and McCarthy.

Donaghy mightn't have been brilliant against Monaghan, but for all that he still created a goal, had a legitimate one disallowed himself and flashed another one wide with the goal at his mercy. It's a huge ask of a rookie full back like Ross McConnell, who had problems with Eoin Bradley against Derry to keep Donaghy under control. Dublin's main problem defensively this year in my opinion has been the loose marking of Bryan Cullen. Against both Laois and Derry the defence was wide open up the middle at times and with greyhounds like Eoin Brosnan and Sean O'Sullivan in the half forward line this could spell disaster. Possibly a "sweeper" might be employed between the full-back and half-back lines? Failure to sort this problem may well result in killer goals. Then there is the Gooch to think about. Paul Casey is another disaster waiting to happen in the half back line. Dublin have a chance of winning but a lot of things have to go right. I expect them to play it extremely physical right from the start similar to Tyrone in 2003.

If  Kerry have the hunger, I'd tip them by about 3 or 4 points. If not, Dublin to win.

Think JimmyKeavney has put it straight over the blackspot with his analysis there. I would'nt agree that its only this year that Bryan Cullen has been found wanting at CB. He has had far more poor games than blinders in that position. I'd be all on for moving Barry cahill to CB....move back Collie and move Cullen back to the half forwards. The team would be far more balanced IMHO. This Kerry team have'nt played the Dubs in front of the Hill yet and maybe it might lead to them taking their eye off the ball at some critical moment. You never know. I honestly thought last Saturday evening that we would be beaten in the semis but having watched Kerry on Sunday I reckon they might have at least as many problems as us...if not more. We have a genuine chance but literally anything could happen....even a draw!

Real Talk

As a neutral from Derry it's very difficult to assess Kerry because of their performance against Monaghan.  M are an team who are very physical and prevent the other team from playing ball and then hit them with a few counter attacks.  I thought Kerry's left side of defense was very weak and they certainly would miss the power and 'dirt' of Galvin but they will be allowed to play more football against Dublin and all of their forwards can perform provided they vary their game plan (not just bombard Donaghy with high balls (although that could be more effective) against McConnell who I don't rate.   On the other hand Dublin, if they position their forwards better, could benefit by attacking up the RHS where Kerry are weakest.  I would also agree that Cullen does not attend to his 'primary' defensive and this would be exposed by Brosnan's direct running (remember the 'roasting' a half-fit Paul Murphy gave him).  I'd expect mid-field to be 50/50.  However Dublin are unlikely to get another sympathetic referee which may reduce Vaughan's influence on the game.  Overall I think Derry played them well and created good chances,  Kerry's defence is not as good and I fancy the Dubs to won a very entertaining game.