Dublin v Kerry all ireland SF

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 12, 2007, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

There was no dirt in the game at all from what I saw.

orangeman

Agree with you Magpie - I thought it was just tough championship football - maybe Dick Clerkin was a bit over the top with Donaghy but I think it was just his momentum and there was no intent.

the Deel Rover

i thought it was a good hard physical game of football ,what did people want monaghan to do? Sit back and admire kerry play football.I just wished Mayo played like monaghan last year in the All ireland final  >:( >:(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2007, 09:17:13 AM
I see the Irish News have echoed my sentiments about Kerry's tactics v Monaghan. Only one team tried to play attractive gaelic football that day. Kerry just repeatedly lumped the ball into the square a la an U16 Grade 3 minor side. Makes me sick.

Careful there, you'll have the football fascists hypocrites 'purists' heavily on your case. Couldn't agree more, all this 60 degrees-in-the-air hoofing and hoping for the best is crap. Apologies to the nostalgists.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SuperDooperCooper

Bad news on the ref front, we got the second shortest straw John Bannon (the shortest being Gerry Keneevy).
I honestly hoped we would never see him again but unfortunately, no such luck.
What do the dubs fans think of Mr Bannon.
===========================================================================================
On and off-pitch glory for man in middle Bannon
JOHN BANNON'S appointment as referee for the mouth-watering Dublin v Kerry All-Ireland SFC semi-final capped a great weekend for the Longford official following the birth of his second child.

Bannon, who took charge of the 1998 and 2002 All-Ireland finals, has been handed the plum tie at Croke Park on Sunday week and it marks another landmark fixture for Longford referees in 2007.

Eugene Murtagh took charge of the All-Ireland club football final and Derek Fahy was the man in the middle when Tyrone beat Monaghan in the Ulster final.

Longford county board Chairman Martin Skelly said: "It's been a great year for Longford referees and we wish John well with this one. "Last weekend was a hectic one for John as his wife Paula gave birth to their daughter Grace on Saturday morning. John ran the line for the Kerry-Monaghan quarterfinal on Sunday and when the news broke on Monday that he was appointed for the semi-final, it crowned a wonderful weekend.

"John and Paula already have a son Mark, who is five years of age, and we're delighted for them."

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hound

This game could also be Pillar Caffrey's last game in charge, as its the end of his three year term. I believe that even if Dubs win Sam, Pillar will step down.

Probably a discussion for another day, but at the moment I believe the contenders for the job are Clarke, Talty and Val Andrews. Not sure if Brian Mullins will throw his hat in the ring after what happened last time - but now Bailey is gone, perhaps there is still a chance. And I'm sure the likes of Bealin and O'Leary would try and throw their hat in the ring if afforded the opportunity.

SuperDooperCooper

Jesus hound, hopefully Pillar is a bit more ticked skinned that Jack O'Connor or he may be giving out about you in his book.
The Dublin lads I know do not seem to have great faith in Pillar but he has lead them to three provincial titles on the trot. Still you should wait until he announced his decision to step down before selecting his successor.

Hardy

My theory on Kerry's style, or lack thereof, on Sunday is that, playing rusty and from memory in the first half, they stayed in touch with a rampant Monaghan, as the best teams always manage to do, even when playing badly. Then, I'd guess, at half time there were instructions to use Donaghy (because there had been hardly any high balls in in the first half). The players duly complied and still stayed in touch but not in touch enough to win.

Then, wilfully or unconsciously, the experienced lads took over with the game in the fire  and, knowing how to win a match, did what had to be done. Dara woke up, his brothers rowed in, they played from instinct and the last three points came from the abandonment of the up-and-under – that and the combination of Monaghan's confusion about who should mark Sheehan and Kerry's innate ability to capitalise on that.

Romeo

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2007, 02:13:00 PM
My theory on Kerry's style, or lack thereof, on Sunday is that, playing rusty and from memory in the first half, they stayed in touch with a rampant Monaghan, as the best teams always manage to do, even when playing badly. Then, I'd guess, at half time there were instructions to use Donaghy (because there had been hardly any high balls in in the first half). The players duly complied and still stayed in touch but not in touch enough to win.

Then, wilfully or unconsciously, the experienced lads took over with the game in the fire  and, knowing how to win a match, did what had to be done. Dara woke up, his brothers rowed in, they played from instinct and the last three points came from the abandonment of the up-and-under – that and the combination of Monaghan's confusion about who should mark Sheehan and Kerry's innate ability to capitalise on that.

Good summary Hardy, think that sums it up really! Monaghan's lack of experience, Kerry's experience and Kerry's bench won it!

rrhf

A dub told me at the match on Saturday that joeKeran is already lined up, for the pillers job regradless of how hes does this year.  

Gnevin

Quote from: rrhf on August 15, 2007, 02:19:51 PM
A dub told me at the match on Saturday that joeKeran is already lined up, for the pillers job regradless of how hes does this year. 
Yeah but only if the dream team of Lord Lucan and Shergar aren't interested
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bingobus

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2007, 02:13:00 PM

Watching the game last night I still can't figure out myself who was picking him up  ???

blanketattack

There was 3 players around Sheehan when he scored the equaliser.
Monaghan beat Kerry 1-11 to 1-10. The Kerry bench beat the Monaghan bench 0-2 to 0-0.
In 2004 Kerry drew with Limerick in a tough game and then went on to win their remaining games quite comfortably.
In 2006 Kerry lost to Cork and won their remaining games comfortably (in the end re. Armagh).
Perhaps for 2007 Monaghan will follow the same pattern as Cork and Limerick.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI now think Spillanes mask has finally slipped entirely off his face to reveal his arse.  His comments in that rag last Sunday were tantamount to promoting xenophobia in the GAA.  He is not selling our games, hes selling his own lies and hes polarising many northern counties not just Tyrone and Armagh.  He is a disgrace, I have went to matches and received hostile reactions as a Tyrone Fan from other counties supporters who are simply repeating what this asshole has been drumming up since August 2003.  I am wqatching no more Sunday game until that asshole is taken off it.  How dare he besmirch the name of our county and our province?
An spalpin fanach rules. 

What about the Paddy Heaneys etc, etc in the Northern press who constantly snipe at Kerry....and Brolly, who cant start a sentence without trying to discredit Kerrys past wins...(mimiced by many on this board).