Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertemmet

I think what often hinders a GAA person's chance of optimum fitness is the amount of games the top players play.  MOst top 19-20 yr olds have club senior/club U21/County U21/Freshers and Sigerson.  They have way too many commitments and will find if impossible to do the ideal week of training

Sun-Game
Mon-Swimming Pool / Short cycle
Tues-Training session
Wed-Night Off
Thurs-Training Session
Fri-Stretching
Sat-Night Off
Sun-Another game

In professional sports games are every week without fail and players only play for one team, so they can easily do the above schedue, as opposed to the following

Mon-University training
Tues-county U21 training (also getting an earful from club for not coming home for club trianing)
Wed-Fresher game - prob at the other end of the country)
Thur-County U21 training
Fri-Club traning
Sat-County U21 game
Sun-Club league/District cup game

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: robertemmet on August 09, 2007, 06:21:51 PM
I think what often hinders a GAA person's chance of optimum fitness is the amount of games the top players play.  MOst top 19-20 yr olds have club senior/club U21/County U21/Freshers and Sigerson.  They have way too many commitments and will find if impossible to do the ideal week of training

Sun-Game
Mon-Swimming Pool / Short cycle
Tues-Training session
Wed-Night Off
Thurs-Training Session
Fri-Stretching
Sat-Night Off
Sun-Another game

In professional sports games are every week without fail and players only play for one team, so they can easily do the above schedue, as opposed to the following

Mon-University training
Tues-county U21 training (also getting an earful from club for not coming home for club trianing)
Wed-Fresher game - prob at the other end of the country)
Thur-County U21 training
Fri-Club traning
Sat-County U21 game
Sun-Club league/District cup game

heavy schedule alright for a guy who also has to balance studying.And who may have to engage in alot of travel back and forth to counties midweek from college in Dublin/Galway etc

Possible remedies
Bring in a rule so that County Under 21 training/games  be limited to twice a week before February.
allowed to miss Club Training to give him time to recuperate.

mannix

robert emmet,

well said.Far too many things dragging players around.
Conor mortimer is an example.

dcu, train and play
shruleglencorrib, train and play
Mayo seniors, train and play

At least he is not u21 anymore but thats just an example I am aware of, i imagine a lot of lads fall into the trap and lets not mention keith higgins,dual player.

mannix

Is anyone else seeing a fitness community ad for the other team popping up on the top of this forum when they enter a thread.

mannix

Its only on this thread and I think the thread has being infiltrated, "gay fitness community"  no other thread has this on when you click on it.

BallyhaiseMan

Seamus Moynihan Challenge
Can you tackle SEAMUS and WIN CASH prizes. Only at PlumGaming
www.PlumGaming.comGAA

Sports Psychologist
Improve Your Or Your Team's Confidence For Big Match Occasions
www.sportpsychology.ie

Weight Training Tips
Gain Strength and Mass fast with Leading Weight Training programs
WeightGain4You.com

thats what i see on top mannix.

darbyo

I don't have time to get into too many details now and I haven't read all the replies but I'm getting the feeling that many of ye doubt the benefits of weight training. Anybody seerious about improving their physical performance should be doing a weights program 12 months of the year. And this should be done at least 3 times a week off season and at least twice a week during the season. Like I said this is just a rough guidline, the individual and the goals required will dictate the exact training plan. Interval training should form the backbone of your cardio work as this gives the best results and replicates game like situations best.

tintin25

Lads, about 3 months ago I fell on my Knee during a training session on hard ground. It was a little painful at the time and there was bruising above/below the knee. I'd say after about 2 weeks the brusing was basically gone but since then whilst not in pain or anything, my knee (Just below the centre) has never felt quite right. I've been playing matches albeit at a low grade and heading to gym without any fuss but now and again still feel a twinge in it. Went to the Doctor and he reckoned that it prob just inflamation and that nothing broken. An xray confirmed this but why do I feel it's still not 100%?? Surely an xray wouldn't pick up other damage that perhaps a scan would? Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: tintin25 on August 10, 2007, 11:24:05 AM
Lads, about 3 months ago I fell on my Knee during a training session on hard ground. It was a little painful at the time and there was bruising above/below the knee. I'd say after about 2 weeks the brusing was basically gone but since then whilst not in pain or anything, my knee (Just below the centre) has never felt quite right. I've been playing matches albeit at a low grade and heading to gym without any fuss but now and again still feel a twinge in it. Went to the Doctor and he reckoned that it prob just inflamation and that nothing broken. An xray confirmed this but why do I feel it's still not 100%?? Surely an xray wouldn't pick up other damage that perhaps a scan would? Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing!

Don't worry about it tintin sure your only a back and easily replaced now if you were a forward i would be very worried ;) ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Croí na hÉireann

Any dual players out there? How do yous manage training and games? Train Tues and Thurs, play 11 aside astroturf on Wed and usually a game at the weekends. Thinking of picking up the small ball again, how do dual clubs organise their training???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tintin25

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 10, 2007, 11:33:15 AM

Don't worry about it tintin sure your only a back and easily replaced now if you were a forward i would be very worried ;) ;)

Ha ha. I must stress that I'm an integral part of our Reserve side!

inisceithleann

tintin i'm obvisouly no expert but to confirm what's wrong you need a MRI scan. I hurt my knee in the junior championship last summer and it took ages to heal. The club paid for an MRI scan and it turned out that i had a microscopic fracture of my right knee with badly sprained ACL. An X-Ray wouldn't have shown this. The surgeon told me that knee injuries take a long time to heal, but that time and rest cures a lot of things so that's what I did. But if your concerned approach the club about getting the scan. Better safe than sorry.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

take_yer_points

Quote from: mannix on August 09, 2007, 07:26:13 PM
robert emmet,

well said.Far too many things dragging players around.
Conor mortimer is an example.

dcu, train and play
shruleglencorrib, train and play
Mayo seniors, train and play

At least he is not u21 anymore but thats just an example I am aware of, i imagine a lot of lads fall into the trap and lets not mention keith higgins,dual player.

Cormac McAnallen was another example of this - he was playing for Ireland as well as club (U21 and senior), county (U21 and senior) and the university.

mannix

God rest the soul of Cormac McAnallen.He enjoyed it all no doubt, as do the lads that subject themselves to it.
How do these triathlete people do it?

DirtyDozen12

i would agree tintin that a lot of injurys and slight knocks is a mental thing.  Its true if you think about the injury it will annopy you and you will believe you are generally injured.  I know its difficult to take your mind off it though.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!