Gaa training, gym, diet and injury advice

Started by tintin25, August 09, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 19, 2007, 01:07:47 PM
Lads

Most of ye are either finished playing or just about to finish with the club this year. What do ye do for the winter to keep in shape, gym, soccer, rugby? Has anyone got any good routines to stay fitish over the winter

I started playing a little rugby with a Galway clubs 3rds to try an keep in shape. Sadly its referred to as "social rugby" so there isnt much fitness training involved. Just ball work and a few games of semi contact rugby. Im not quite getting what I expected out of it as regards fitness. Some nights you hardly break a sweat. It might step up a little in the coming weeks, we will wait and see.

Apart from that im gymin at least twice a week. Changing my workout every 8 weeks or so.
Apart from upper body I started doing light leg weights recently.
Leg extensions, Leg curls, leg press and jump squats (with just the weight of a heavy squat bar on the shoulders)
My reps are 15 x 15 x 15. I was reading from an NBA jump manual that its best to do light weights in an explosive technique than do heavy weights at lower and slower reps. Im also told that skipping is very important for speed so might give that a try. (although I feel like a monkey skipping in the gym because I couldnt skip to save my life so il practice at home!)
Also a little cycling (interval profile on gym bike... its really hard) and rowing.

I think il try and take up astro turf soccer too. I cant see it being a bad thing and it might be one of my very few cardio workouts in the weeks over the winter. Probably go for a few runs myself in the coming weeks but I dont find it helps much. Last year I was running laps of the race course but it wasnt improving my fitness much. Hard running and sprinting is probably better... We shall see.

Oh yeah... lots and lots of stretching...

BallyhaiseMan

Darbyo is a sports scientist,you now know who to direct your questions re Physical Fitness towards :D

Davitt Man

Lads, is anyone a member of any gyms in south dublin? What are the membership fees?

stpauls

i have just got a program set up to help me bulk up a bit over the next 2 months and i will be starting it tonight, so if i can lift my arms to type in the morning, will let you know how i get on!!  :D :D

parttimeexile

Well lads has anyone here used the trainsmart programme. It lets you know your optimum level to work at for best effect.

Davitt Man

Is anyone a member of the Loughlinstown Gym, its pay as you go as well. Any opinions on it

Gold

Quote from: stpauls on October 22, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
i have just got a program set up to help me bulk up a bit over the next 2 months and i will be starting it tonight, so if i can lift my arms to type in the morning, will let you know how i get on!!  :D :D

wot does your program entail

ive promised myself il bulk up over the winter b4 im too old to ever realise my(obviously allstar ::) ) potential!

i mite need to join a gym first or would a set of dumbells suffice??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

stpauls

Quote from: Gold on October 22, 2007, 09:45:30 PM
Quote from: stpauls on October 22, 2007, 02:28:22 PM

wot does your program entail

ive promised myself il bulk up over the winter b4 im too old to ever realise my(obviously allstar ::) ) potential!

i mite need to join a gym first or would a set of dumbells suffice??

this involves:

15 minutes on the treadmill at 9.8 kph
20 minutes on bike at effort level 7 at 80 rpm

4*8 sets of assited wide grip pull ups with 25Kg assistance
3/4*8 sets of berbell curls at 25Kg
4*8 sets of shoulder presses at 35kg
3/4*8 sets of butterflies at 35Kg
4*12 sets of leg press at 80Kg
3/4*12 sets of leg extensions at 35Kg

3*15-20 push outs (for abs)
3*25 angled sit-ups (about 30 degrees)

not having a lot of body strength, it was pretty tough, looking like i will be very stiff tomorrow!!

Puckoon

St Pauls.
I think you need to put a disclaimer on that program before some of our older, more out of fit posters go out and try that hell for leather. That first run on the treadmill seems a bit quick, unless my treadmill is in mph. I can see 5ive Times and POG dropping dead!

stpauls

Quote from: Puckoon on October 22, 2007, 10:23:39 PM
St Pauls.
I think you need to put a disclaimer on that program before some of our older, more out of fit posters go out and try that hell for leather. That first run on the treadmill seems a bit quick, unless my treadmill is in mph. I can see 5ive Times and POG dropping dead!

its only in KPH Puckoon, it is actually one of the easier ones i have done!! as i am trying to add a bit of muscle to my oul scrawny body, the cardio is only to burn fat!
the last one i was doing was 6 min @ 9kph, then the next 3 @ 10kph, then 2 @ 11 kph and another 2 @ 12 kph to finish off!! that for me was tougher!

Puckoon

I usually start at 7.5mph, then I move it up two notches every 1/5th of a mile, so my second mile will start at 8mph, 3rd at 8.5mph.I usually try and finish the 4th mile around 9.

Must be training above my fat loss zone though, I cant shift this fat! ::)

orangeman

Take a well deserved break till Christmas !

stpauls

are you sure it is in MPH Puckoon, cause personally i find any more than a couple of minutes at 12 kph for me is a lot, that would be about 7.5 MPH!!
as you can see,my stamina is not the greatest!

Frank Casey

Jesus lads ye have me wrecked I'm off to bed. ::) ::) ::)
KERRY 3:7