Leinster Rugby Official Thread

Started by Tankie, August 07, 2007, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Well on a whole there are only two competitionst to win and we have won one of them. We were in a very tough group in the Heino Cup, in any other year with the team we have we would have gotten out but what can you do.

It will be interesting to see what signings are made during the off - season to improve the squad.
Grand Slam Saturday!

dodo

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2008, 12:47:29 PM
What's the Magners League?

It's a competition sponsored by Bulmers where everybody talks Heino and drinks Carlsberg

Main Street

;D

As for Leinster in the "Heino"  ;D
true they had Edinburg, the best of the 4th rated teams,  but along with failing to get an away win they didn't even get one bonus point.
I'd say their overall performance was not enough to qualify them in other years.

Whilst their nemesis, Munster, edged ahead in their group, ahead of the French nr.1 and English nr.2, with 2 very good away bonus point performances.

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on May 12, 2008, 12:00:11 AM
;D

As for Leinster in the "Heino"  ;D
true they had Edinburg, the best of the 4th rated teams,  but along with failing to get an away win they didn't even get one bonus point.
I'd say their overall performance was not enough to qualify them in other years.

Whilst their nemesis, Munster, edged ahead in their group, ahead of the French nr.1 and English nr.2, with 2 very good away bonus point performances.

Main Street you clearly don't have a clue so stop post shite.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Main Street

Enlighten us then Tankie.
Is it a widely held belief in Leinster rugby that the actual performances in the group stages of the "heino" were as good as previous years?
That if the actual performance in Edinburg was repeated, the result might be different in other years?
I would have thought Leinster had a very bad day in Edinburg.

Hoof Hearted

Australia flanker Rocky Elsom will join Irish province Leinster in September on a one-year deal.

The 25-year-old, who has won 33 caps, will join the Magners League champions at the end of the Tri-Nations.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) chief executive John O'Neill said Elsom had been granted an early release from his contract on "compassionate grounds".

"As it stands now, we hope to have Rocky back in Australia by the middle of next year," said O'Neill.

"This was a specific request and we looked at all the factors involved. He took us into his confidence and this remains a confidential matter between Rocky and the ARU. 

"What we can say is that we have offered Rocky valuable advice moving forward.

"We also factored into the equation that not giving him this assistance, in the form of an early release, meant we could have lost him to Australian rugby permanently."

The ARU chief stressed Elsom was not being given a sabbatical, like that offered to New Zealand stars Dan Carter and Richie McCaw.

Both Australia and New Zealand only pick domestic-based players for their national teams, but Carter and McCaw have signed new contracts which allow them to spend time abroad before returning home.

Carter has been linked with a six-month spell in French rugby but McCaw has indicated he has no plans to play abroad at the present time.

-------------------------

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tankie

Rocky is a Legend, once we get the front row sorted out this could be our best squad ever!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

What a great day for Leinster, I just got and email from them saying that we also signed CJ Van Der Linde on a 3 year deal!

It really shows how far Irish Rugby has come when we can sign players of this class!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hoof Hearted

FFS Tankie you asked for a decent front row at about 10.30 and just over an hour later it starts to come true !!
you have some sway !
Greg Sommerville went to Gloucester today, that would have helped too (or maybe him and CJ play same position, not sure)

PS Just checked it out
"Somerville can play at loose-head or tight-head and has made 59 appearances for the All Blacks."

Dinny Breen

Fantastic news, in farness Rocky will only be keeping the shirt warm for young Sean O'Brien from Tullow who'll be an Irish international  ;)

Three great signings and with Gaffney as the new backs, next season promises so much.

They've also sold over 8000k season tickets as well.  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Tankie

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 26, 2008, 12:10:00 PM
FFS Tankie you asked for a decent front row at about 10.30 and just over an hour later it starts to come true !!
you have some sway !

Good Point Hoof Heated - I really think we need to win the Heineken Cup this year!

Heres hoping  ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

AZOffaly

More big boosts for Leinster for next season.

On a happier note, I've just secured my Full membership of the Munster supporters club after 5 years of waiting for people to die off as an associate member. The new ground has increased full members numbers a bit, so I'm in.

Hopefully Munster will sign a couple as well to provide backup to an aging pack, and to cater for the loss of Anthony Foley. Jerry Collins would be nice :D

Hoof Hearted

Would love to see leinster there. I have seen Munster in a final (last months) and booked the tickets for Murrayfield 09 the day after i came home so another irish team to support would suit me fine !
they are starting to put a good squad together, so the H Cup has to be priority this season. retaining the magners wouldnt really seem to be a successful season would it ?

Tankie

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 26, 2008, 02:10:23 PM
Would love to see leinster there. I have seen Munster in a final (last months) and booked the tickets for Murrayfield 09 the day after i came home so another irish team to support would suit me fine !
they are starting to put a good squad together, so the H Cup has to be priority this season. retaining the magners wouldnt really seem to be a successful season would it ?

In the last 3 year we have lost the league on the last day twice and won it last year so yes retaining it is important as the Magners league has seen a huge increase in attendance for Leinster but I think everyone at Leinster would want to win the Heineken Cup and would see it as a priority and it is the biggest club prize in Rugby.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

8,800 Leinster season tickets sold so far this year, great news and cant wait for next season!
Grand Slam Saturday!