Sligo 07 review

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 06, 2007, 01:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Its over now folks,move along, nothing to see here.Any witnesses please give a statement please.
"Yes inspector, it looks like these guys walked in front of a herd of buffalo and managed to kill a few before getting trampled".

Shrewdness

O'Hara has often sat back and let others do the work. Look at his wreckless behaviour in getting sent off 3 times in the NFL, leaving Sligo to face the crunch game in Wicklow without him......and didn't they do very nicely without him.

Apart from his goal, he didn't do a lot more in the Connacht Final. His goal has been over hyped, just like he is.
He gathered possession, and soloed clear into open space, before blasting the ball past a helpless goalkeeper from a few yards out.. It's not as if he went on a jinking run, and beat 3 or 4 players like Eoin Mulligan did against Dublin a couple of years ago. Goals like O'Hara's are ten a penny and can be seen in junior club matches all over the country every weekend.

Paddypastit, i don't know who you think all the over rated players are in Roscommon, because most Rossies will tell you that a lot of our players are useless and not up to inter county standard.

What obsession do you Sligo people have with the Roscommon sheep.??

magpie seanie

Wow, you really have it bad!

heurebag

not good enough, no cutting edge up front

paddypastit

Shrewdness, I've spent the last 30 years listening to various Rossie heros being hyed up by their own...

but you know you're dead right, to the nuetral observer most of them are useless, it's just that it's so long since ye had a good one that ye don't know.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Rossfan

Quote from: paddypastit on August 07, 2007, 08:35:21 PM
Shrewdness, I've spent the last 30 years listening to various Rossie heros being hyed up by their own...

Last 30 years ? Hmmm.... let me see   ..2 Earleys,Keegan, Lindsay,Jigger,Tony Mac,Connellan,Gavin,Junior Mac,Fergie, 2 Newtons, Killoran.......... want me to go on ?
Meanwhile Sligo had Kearns,Murphy, O'Hara and ....... that's right nobody else.
So maybe ye're the winners in the useless stakes eh?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

paddypastit

If that's all ye've got, don't embarass yourself more by going further.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

sligeach

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 07, 2007, 05:08:02 PM
O'Hara has often sat back and let others do the work. Look at his wreckless behaviour in getting sent off 3 times in the NFL, leaving Sligo to face the crunch game in Wicklow without him......and didn't they do very nicely without him.

Apart from his goal, he didn't do a lot more in the Connacht Final. His goal has been over hyped, just like he is.

Ah right. I'd expect a comment like that from a teenager. O'Hara actually did a lot of covering for the half backs and a lot of defending, himself and Quinn dominated midfield togeather. It wasn't one of his best matches and in fairness he wasn't near himself in the Connacht final, that hardly makes him overhyped.

QuoteHe gathered possession, and soloed clear into open space, before blasting the ball past a helpless goalkeeper from a few yards out..

He had the vision to see the opportunity and the pace to solo run past younger Galway defenders and took the goal with the opposite foot to what he was solo'ing with. It was a great goal, nothing to rave about but still a great goal.

QuoteIt's not as if he went on a jinking run, and beat 3 or 4 players like Eoin Mulligan did against Dublin a couple of years ago.

Oh wow he outfoxed 2 Dubs with 2 dummys, hardly a huge achievement ;)

But seriously Mulligans goal was pure class, very well done. Do we all have to equal goals of that nature for it to be considered good ?

QuoteGoals like O'Hara's are ten a penny and can be seen in junior club matches all over the country every weekend

Bollox.

O'Hara's not over rated by a long shot. How many Sligo matches you seen shrewdness ? Cause we don't get on the telly that often. Eamon owes Sligo nothing because of what hes given us down the years and the man is a top class brilliant footballer.

paddypastit

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2007, 09:23:17 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on August 07, 2007, 08:35:21 PM

Last 30 years ? Hmmm.... let me see   ..2 Earleys,Keegan, Lindsay,Jigger,Tony Mac,Connellan,Gavin,Junior Mac,Fergie, 2 Newtons, Killoran.......... want me to go on ?
Meanwhile Sligo had Kearns,Murphy, O'Hara and ....... that's right nobody else.
So maybe ye're the winners in the useless stakes eh?

You were doing fine until you mentioned Fergie - Donkey ::)

Teeling Gael

Agree with what most of the Sligo posters are saying here with 2 small exceptions. Don't think its fair to say Brehony was simply a lucky manager Sligonian,  and Paddy the only thing I'd disagree with in your posts is that I actually thought McNamara was well beaten by O Neill. Dont think for the foreseeable future we have any problems with our backs. Add in Naughton , O Neill , Martyn and Phillips and we are well covered defensively. However its from there up we have problems. K Quinn is a very good option at midfield but whether T Taylor , f Horan or indeed K Byrne have what it takes to be competitive at All Ireland quarter final stage is very debatable.Think O hara is needed again next year but only as a forward. P doohan is hitting 33 in 2008 so again he is unlikely to be competitive at this level.  The only option I know of out there is P Cawley from Geevagh who from personal experience looks the business but him not playing with U21's this year suggests he isn't that interested in the commitment of intercounty football.

T Brehony has came in for some criticism for tactics on Saturday and have to say it looked bad. However all our Sligo posters know that the he is had to taylor his plans to the resources available and our gameplan is based on the forwards inability to win hard ball. You made an excellent point Paddy regrading whether Brehonys backroom team was sufficient and perhaps it looks sparse in hindsight. Keeping back to forward line , we have major problems here. Brendan Egan is not a forward , B Curran is a grafter , S Davey ( talk of retirement ?? ) notoriously unpredictable , Mc Partland's best days look behind him , Kelly has question marks over whether he is more that a speed merchant who can't shoot with as mano suggests no sidestep.Brehony is an excellent intercounty footballer but will never be top ten in the country type player. What options are there out there ?? Sweeney deserves his chance but too date looks unpredictable. McGowan , P Taylor aren't options any more. Marren again has had his chances. Mc Garty has barely kicked a ball competitively in 3 years so it has to be doubtful whether he will ever be competitive again at this level. Sloyane wont be back. Is P Gallagher a back or a forward ?? . ALL in all lots of doubts about our forward line. Are there any options outside the panel ?? Stephen Coen is the player that jumps out at me but again he is a small fast player. Hopefully the club championship will throw up new names.

Rossfan

Quote from: stephenite on August 08, 2007, 06:56:52 AM
Fergie - Donkey ::)

The teams he managed put ye're Minors in their place the last 2 years anyway  ;D

As the Examiner said all those years ago " not bad for Donkeys"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

paddypastit

Teeling, I'd need to watch it again re McN on Sat but you might be right because the more I reflect on it, what I recall of his contribution was more attacking than defending whereas O'Neill did handle a fair bit of ball.  Also I noted O'Hara dropping off to cover on a number of occasions (the kind of solid unselfish teamwork that amazingly doesn't get noticed, even with yellow boots).

More to the point, your mail paints a dismal if very true picture of the immediate future potential.  I'd agree too with you re Cawley, although I haven't seen him in action since '05.  One thing for sure - if he's anything like his oul fella, he's hard, seriously hard.

magpie seanie

Cawley is an exceptionally good footballer. I often think its gas that Geevagh have 3 lads on the county panel and none of the 3 are the best footballer in Geevagh! Word about the place seems to be that Cawley isn't too bothered with the county after getting fucked over when he was a minor (I remember him coming on early in Carrick and being one of the best players on the field only to be dropped the next day).

paddypastit

Given that Breheny's old man is from Geevagh (his and Cawley's home places would be less than a mile aprt as the crow flies) perhaps an opportunity to connect may be possible?