Sligo 07 review

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 06, 2007, 01:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Based on what Cork did today to Meath without Masters, maybe things aren't so bad after all.

I wouldn't waste my breath on the O'Hara begrudgers...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

Look don't base a year on what other did! Base it on what you did. You won a provincial title for the first time in 32 years. That is yours,. That is success.

magpie seanie

SM2 - I was pretty down in the immediate aftermath of the Cork game but after I watched it back I realised Cork were a damn good team and better than I'd thought. All the good aspects of our play they were able to match and they have the best midfield in the country and better forwards.

For '08 we could do with a few new faces but only if they're better. I think ewven with the personnel we had on board this year we can improve. I'd be looking at roles in the forwards for McNamara and J. Davey. As Paddy has said Martyn and O'Neill can defend and will do a good job in the HB line in their place. We need McGarty to come into the team. Doohan will have a bigger role. We've plenty of good hard working half forwards like Curran/Egan/McPartland - all deserving of a place in their own right - but can we play all 3 in the same team? Can someone more creative/able to beat a man fit into the team system? It's Tommy Breheny and John Kent's task to get the tactics and balance right and if anyone can it will be them.

I don't worry too much about the league. The nature of our team means that we need the dry pitch and hard sod to prosper as speed is one of our major assets. That's why in my view we tend to underperform in the league in recent years. We should still be in the mix for promotion though.

Star Spangler

How come a Sligo-only thread isn't dumped into the Local section like the Tyrone one?  :P

Shrewdness

This thread is turning into a load of shite. It's over, let it go.......Cork beat Sligo without leaving first gear, men against boys. Fair play to Sligo for winning Connacht, but that's all it was. Anyone confident enough to put their money down, and say Sligo will win it again next year?????. No., didn't think so.

magpie seanie

QuoteAnyone confident enough to put their money down, and say Sligo will win it again next year?

Well Roscommon won't win it anyway.

Rossfan

Jasus Seanie no need to rub it in :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Why would anyone outside Sligo look at this thread in the first place???? Are we that important to yee...I see rossfan has double all ireland champions this yr (nicky rackard cup+...) Are you using the internet in a mental home? ::)

Anyway this is a year review not just the cork game. Ive certainly got it out of my system. I underestimated Cork big time. Alot better than I thought especially in defence.

My Sligo team next year presuming everyone is fit: GREENE DONOVAN MCGUIRE HARRISON MCGOVERN EGAN MARTYN MCGARTY QUINN J DAVEY OHARA MCPARTLAND SWEENEY BREHONY MCNAMARA...

Only really the full back line is guarnteed half backs could be anyone. We just need to bolster the forwards and I hope breheny swallows his pride on using mcanamara at chb. Try him in the forwards in the league with j davey. Both cant defend in my opinion. Lots of players left out and I wouldnt argue with anyone. I look forward to our league agianst decent teams so hopefully we'll progress.

I will be putting my money down on SLIGO for connaght 2008. As everyone says the rest are sh*te and if we get handy draw again like this year why not. We play london in qtrs and are guarnteed home semi final. ;D good times ahead. because I know this team can play alot better than they did this yr.

i heard s davey is retired...

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteAs everyone says the rest are sh*te

Well the rest were shite this year but even at that Sligo struggled to put them away. However Galway and Mayo do have an ability to resurrect themselves quickly certainly in comparison to the rest of Connacht and it's hard to see both of them being as bad again next year although it is possible.

Overall Sligo would have a decent chance I imagine to retain Connacht although it depends on how they react to winning it this year and a few other factors.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No disrespect Sligonians, but shouldn't this thread be in the local section, Admin?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SLIGONIAN

Well I think the atitude towards connaght and the rest of the connaght belittling us winning as merely its because everyone else was so poor will hopefully focus and motivate the lads more. Listen I know it was poor standard this yr but I dont really care. We were the best team in it.

Also though we didnt play well all year and i know people think T brehony is genius but hes not got the best of alot our players and that is fact. But he deserves huge credit from what he inherited the state of team from 1.5yrs ago. But can push us to next level I dont know but I hope so. He made so many huge mistakes this year in my opinion. I have lost alot of confidence in him.

The hope I have for next year is we this Sligo team hit there full potential. We didnt even come close this yr. Some great players and good subs.

SLIGONIAN

I think GAABOARD Admin are right not to have this local section because its county team related only. A review of our year for the county team not anything to do with clubs.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 23, 2007, 12:30:37 PM
I think GAABOARD Admin are right not to have this local section because its county team related only.

And? It relates only and specifically to Sligo, county team or not, that's of no relevance. Or do you want to be treated differently to every other county?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 23, 2007, 11:51:36 AM
rossfan has double all ireland champions this yr (nicky rackard cup+...) Are you using the internet in a mental home? ::)

Nicky Rackard and the U 21 Hurling - both All Ireland Championships :D :D :D :D
And of course I havent mentioned our U16 Footballers who won the Manning Cup and our U21s who won the Hastings Cup. ;D
I hope the top table at the Co Board annual dinner doesnt collapse with the weight of all the trophies. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Id be a sad man to take you seriously...I see the fun in it..When times are bad you got to make the best of it ;).