Paddy Kilety in "A Night in November" in Newry this weekend!

Started by T Fearon, August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 02:20:21 PM
Quote from: SammyG on August 02, 2007, 02:04:01 PM
Even ignoring all the lies (or poetic licence  ;))

but sure isnt it meant to be a work of fiction??
Why bother then saying it was lies??

I saw the Simpsons movie at the weekend, a feckin disgrace, none of that really happened  >:(

Because those lies are repeated (by people like Fearon and 5Times) and treated as truth. I don't remember anybody writing to the papers to claim that the Simpsons was true.

his holiness nb

Ok so because Tony writes in to the paper (if he did, I dont know) to say whats in the play is true, the writer of the play, even though she clearly says it was a work of fiction, is accused of telling lies?

:-\
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

I have seen the play and thought it was a powerful piece of theatre, and Dan Gordon in the lead role was immense (as I said previously Kielty has a huge challenge on his hands to carry this off). As the writer herself says, she was using the irrefutable shameful sectarian scenes at Windsor Park that evening to hold a mirror up to her own community. The play is not true in respect that no one called Kenneth Mc Allister went to that game and converted to follwing the real Ireland team to USA 1994, but the point is the shameful scenes at Windsor Park causing a fictional character to rethink his whole life, confront his sectarian bigotry and his misplaced superiority complex, all of which came across very well on stage. What the playwright was also trying to do was highlight the absurdity of using sport as a means of venting sectarian hatred, and to that extent Kenneth's joyous support for the Ireland team in the USA and the sheer fun and craic, contrast dramatically with his previous attendance at Windsor and the menacing atmosphere he witnesses there.

Marie Jones is like Susan Mc Kay, a courageous woman unafraid to confront the darker side of her own community and is to be commended.

In terms of OWC's constant bleating about this play they should adopt the Don't shoot the messenger attitude and confront the existing problems which is the lack of catholic support for the North of Ireland team and the reasons for this

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

Don't know, but I saw it there, in the Tivoli Theatre in Francis Street in the mid to late 1990s. It has been to London, Broadway etc so it may well return to Dublin, particularly if it is successful in Belfast

Sure Pop up to Newry on Sunday night on the new motorway, its only about an hour's journey in total. ;D

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2007, 03:43:20 PM
What the playwright was also trying to do was highlight the absurdity of using sport as a means of venting sectarian hatred

Again Tony, there's a message for you in there...

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2007, 03:43:20 PMMarie Jones is like Susan Mc Kay, a courageous woman unafraid to confront the darker side of her own community and is to be commended.
Did you read the quote from Marie Jones (a couple of posts ago)?
Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2007, 03:43:20 PM
In terms of OWC's constant bleating about this play they should adopt the Don't shoot the messenger attitude and confront the existing problems which is the lack of catholic support for the North of Ireland team and the reasons for this
What problems would they be Tony? And when has anybody tried to 'shoot the messenger' with regard to this play? I enjoyed 'Stones in His Pockets' but thought ANIN was shite, nothing to do with the messenger more to do with the fact that it was a load of sanctimonious claptrap and bigottry disguised as 'art'.

T Fearon

Sammy, the message of ANIN was true and irrefutable, just like the shameful display of sectarianism that night at Windsor Park, unprecedented at any sporting occasion in these isalnds. The message is plain and simple.

MW

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 11:41:42 AM
I'd prefer to use the evidence witndessed by my own eyes and ears and scores of my NI-supporting friends, family and colleagues, than a poster on an internet board, with a bazlingly obvious axe to grind as witnessed plenty of times on that board, who claims his nephew witnessed some singing that he's unable to give any sort of detail about, and attempts to use this to tar the NI support.

5ivetimes has, among other things on another thread, just referred to the Northern ireland team as a "bigotted sectarian soccer team".

My point above is entirely vindicated.

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 04:27:05 PM
[5ivetimes has, among other things on another thread, just referred to the Northern ireland team as a "bigotted sectarian soccer team".
My point above is entirely vindicated.

yeah sure it is  :D :D :D :D

Good of you to declare your own points "vindicated"  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Feck me he's really exposing his prejudices now:

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 02, 2007, 04:19:24 PM
Obviously Sammy & Co are burying their heads in the sand. They have been brough up on a diet of Sectarianism and dont actually realise that the "other side" have rights as well. They believe that Northern Ireland is a place run by Protestants, for Protestants. Catholics dont matter in their world.

Says it all really. Not exactly a leap of the imagination to see why someone with these extreme prejudcies would resort to bullshitting. Clase closed m'lud.

nifan

I didnt actuall read that MW, but reading it now I despair.
If thats what you think people like me think 5times your insane.

his holiness nb

"case closed" ??
I love how you guys declare yourselves victors in these things.

Its sad really as you have deepened my concerns over the divide between both sides today.

Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 04:34:11 PM
"case closed" ??
I love how you guys declare yourselves victors in these things.

Its sad really as you have deepened my concerns over the divide between both sides today.

Any word to say about 5ivetimes' ranting at all? Nary a one? C'mon now.

I'm not the one who has labelled a sports team "bigotted sectarian" or gone on a rant about Protestants/Catholics. I abhor sectarianism and have worked against it in the real world.

Think carefully. Among the comments today, whose have seemed sectarian, bigotted or prejudiced? Who should you be giving your attention to as having "deepened your concerns"? And why have you automatically pointed in my direction rather than elsewhere?