Paddy Kilety in "A Night in November" in Newry this weekend!

Started by T Fearon, August 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 02, 2007, 11:50:13 AM
Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 11:36:27 AM
Because you don't seem to be grasping that even if there actually were two or three people trying to start a chant, that's very different from what 5ivetimes has claimed.

Nowhere did I say 2 or 3 people.

That would be why I said "that's very different from what 5ivetimes has claimed", FFS ::)

From what my nephew told me it was considerably more than that.

This is, I fear, where we get into the realms of jackanory. No-one else appears to have noticed this. Where was he sitting?

To me you sre defending the indefensible.

How so? I'm not defending sectarian singing. I've actively opposed it, in public, which for all I know is more than you've done. I'm actually tackling prejudice here - yours.

Windsor Park is a cold house for Catholics, it always has been, it always will. End of Story.

Ambiguous statement there. Windsor Park as a place, intrinsically? NI matches at Windsor? NI matches? What exactly do you mean, and why?

Where is Fearon when you need him.

You're doing a good job of 'Fearoning' in his absence, what with the tarring with one prush, the prejudice, and the suspicously fictional-sounding claims.

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on August 01, 2007, 03:46:48 PM
NIFan will you be going to see the play? It is drama that often leads one to revise one's own prejudices etc. I can well understand why the IFA made tickets available for it on its own website.

Quote from: T Fearon on August 01, 2007, 04:42:14 PM
The only fictional thing is the main character turning away from bigotry, so you are quite right. That is an example of the writer using poetic licence as such a thing couldn't happen in real life.

Make your mind up Tony  :D
Testing Accessibility

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 11:58:29 AM
Bingo my hole  ;)
Funny you didnt post what you said next, clarifying your claims that it did not, or more so could not happen.

It if makes you happy heres the entire post  ::)

"Well I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that this claim is false, certainly in the way you presented it. I was at the match and heard no such thing. Neither has anyone else I've ever spoken to who was at the match. And because you don't get these chants at NI matches anymore, and haven't for years, it's remarkable even when two or three idiots try to start them. People notice. It gets shouted down. It gets commented on extensively on OWC"

If this isnt denial that this happened, you are in denial yourself. ;)

Let me be absolutely clear. I am 100% rock solid denying that any sort of mass chanting of sectarian songs took place - this would be completely untrue and anyone claiming so would be a liar.

I said it was within the realms of possibility that 2 or 3 people tried to get a chant started (have a look) but that it was likely this would have been commented on. I expressed scepticism of this given that this isn't what 5ivetimes is claiming.

nifan

QuoteWindsor Park is a cold house for Catholics, it always has been, it always will. End of Story.

All catholics? Who made you arbitrar of that.
As ive said i know catholics who regularly attend windsor - block bookers no less.

But you can know what it has been like, what it is like and what it always shall be like?

As for defending the indefensible, i dont believe ive ever condoned sectarianism in any form.

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 12:02:14 PM
[Let me be absolutely clear. I am 100% rock solid denying that any sort of mass chanting of sectarian songs took place - this would be completely untrue and anyone claiming so would be a liar.

Did ANYONE on here saying anything about mass chanting???  :-\
where did you pluck that one from?

I said it was within the realms of possibility that 2 or 3 people tried to get a chant started (have a look) but that it was likely this would have been commented on. I expressed scepticism of this given that this isn't what 5ivetimes is claiming.

You did say this after saying the claim of the nephew was false (HAVE A LOOK), and after the point being made to you that it was possible that a small few did it. You couldnt but back down at that stage and admit it was possible.
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 12:07:47 PM
[Let me be absolutely clear. I am 100% rock solid denying that any sort of mass chanting of sectarian songs took place - this would be completely untrue and anyone claiming so would be a liar.

Did ANYONE on here saying anything about mass chanting???  :-\
where did you pluck that one from?

Here:

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 02, 2007, 11:50:13 AM
Nowhere did I say 2 or 3 people. From what my nephew told me it was considerably more than that.

::)

You did say this after saying the claim of the nephew was false (HAVE A LOOK), and after the point being made to you that it was possible that a small few did it. You couldnt but back down at that stage and admit it was possible.
[/quote]

No. I said 5ivetimes was bullshitting. I stand by that. When asked if I thought it was possible a small handful of people might have tried to chant something, I said it was possible - but expressed scepticism.

his holiness nb

AFTER YOU SAID IT WAS FALSE !!!!!!!

For f**k sake can we get back to the play please, this is going nowhere  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

You can win two tickets to see A Night in November as well as a meal for two before the show in Jurys Belfast, in a competition in to-day's Irish News! Guess whose postcard is already in the mailbox. I don't like watching rivetiing drama on an empty stomach ;D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 02, 2007, 12:14:00 PM
OK, my nephew made the whole thing up. He wasnt asked not to wear his Celtic or GAA top, in fact he wore both, under hid RoI Jacket. He has just informed me that they didnt sing "the billy boys", in fact they sang "All Kinds of Everything" and Dana made an appearance at half time. I believe Gerry Adams sang God save the Queen, before the game and Nigel Dodds gave a perfect rendition of the Finnish Anthem, both anthems were respected and no booing was heard. There was even a game of Camogie between Newtonards and Ballysillan as a curtain raiser to the game and the local Muslim community who are so popular around the Donegall Rd and Village areas cooked free Kebabs for everyone on the night. In fact such a good night was had that he hasnt missed a game since and he has asked me if I could get him a new NI jersey for the upcoming friendly between Northern Irland and the Republic, it has been an annual event since Billy Bigot whipped the crowd into a frenzy when he thought they were going to deny the rerpublic a place at the World Cup. Alan McLaughlin will present the Trophy to the winning captain.

Yes, no doubt it is easier to retreat into this sort of nonsense than answer these questions -

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 11:41:42 AM
Where was he sitting, by the way. Did he remark on anything else about his experience of the match?

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 11:58:45 AM
Ambiguous statement there. Windsor Park as a place, intrinsically? NI matches at Windsor? NI matches? What exactly do you mean, and why?

Wonder why?

nifan

5times, if your nephew heard anything it was an isolated incident, and completely wrong.
My bug is your implication that this is common and we are all singing the billy boys with abandon.

Your general impression of NI games from the sum of your posts is a big prodfest, which annoys me.

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 12:16:56 PM

Said what was false? ??? 5ivetimes has never claimed there was a chant involved a two or three people.

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2007, 12:17:47 PM
You can win two tickets to see A Night in November as well as a meal for two before the show in Jurys Belfast, in a competition in to-day's Irish News! Guess whose postcard is already in the mailbox. I don't like watching rivetiing drama on an empty stomach ;D

You must have seen quite a few riveting drama's then - eh Tony ;)

MW

Quote from: nifan on August 02, 2007, 12:22:45 PM
5times, if your nephew heard anything it was an isolated incident, and completely wrong.
My bug is your implication that this is common and we are all singing the billy boys with abandon.

Your general impression of NI games from the sum of your posts is a big prodfest, which annoys me.

Spot on. That's where I'm coming from.

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 02, 2007, 12:24:06 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 12:16:56 PM

Said what was false? ??? 5ivetimes has never claimed there was a chant involved a two or three people.

Said the claims of 5times nephew was false!!
For f**k sake its like pulling teeth  :o
I never said anything about how many people did it, I was referring to ONE SENTENCE and you drag a petty row on for an entire morning.
As per my last post, can we get back to the play please???  >:(
Ask me holy bollix