Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty88

Im going to go for Dublin to beat Kerry in the replay
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

tyssam5

Quote from: ziggysego on August 06, 2007, 01:27:52 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2007, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 06, 2007, 11:54:46 AM
Come on Doire!

Cheers Zig... I know it must be hard... it certainly was for me going to watch youse a couple of years ago!

Difficult to say, but we are Ulster people. I'll be backing Derry and Monaghan now for Sam.

Ziggy et al., you should be ashamed of yourselves, win a couple of Sams and we are going soft. You can be damn sure no one on the other side of the Sperrins was doing anything other than cheering on Meath  last Saturday. Let's not get too carried way and let the anti-Ulster chip on the shoulder of Spillane and co. rob us of our true nature.

Come on the DUBS!!

Tyrones own

Derry won't live with the Dubs in this one, they've been punching above their weight
  these past few years with some of the scalps they've taken, only to be routed at the business end
  so i expect nothing different at the weekend:  Dublin by 5 never being troubled. ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 06, 2007, 11:18:44 PM
Totally agree with you.If Laois had have had any bottle at all in them Dublin were there for the taking in the Leinster Final and the same with Offaly in the semi final

Have you tried counselling?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

ONeill

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 07, 2007, 05:04:07 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 06, 2007, 01:27:52 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2007, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 06, 2007, 11:54:46 AM
Come on Doire!

Cheers Zig... I know it must be hard... it certainly was for me going to watch youse a couple of years ago!

Difficult to say, but we are Ulster people. I'll be backing Derry and Monaghan now for Sam.

Ziggy et al., you should be ashamed of yourselves, win a couple of Sams and we are going soft. You can be damn sure no one on the other side of the Sperrins was doing anything other than cheering on Meath  last Saturday. Let's not get too carried way and let the anti-Ulster chip on the shoulder of Spillane and co. rob us of our true nature.

Come on the DUBS!!

Phew, needed that bit of therapy. Boom Boom Boom, everyone say Jayo....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 06, 2007, 11:18:44 PM
Quote from: Jimbobjnr on August 06, 2007, 11:15:44 PM
I think one of the reasons that Dublin get hyped up alot is because so much of them is being shown on TV. People see them playing in Croke Park year after year and begin to think that they are better players than they actually are. In my opinion Dublin are an  average team, and a few teams recently have been victims of their own downfall against them by being feared of them. Derry aren't world beaters either but have alot better players than Dublin, and that should see them through on the day if their minds are right.

Totally agree with you.If Laois had have had any bottle at all in them Dublin were there for the taking in the Leinster Final and the same with Offaly in the semi final
What match where you watching Laois score a 2/3 unanswered points in the end to make it look respectable but Dublin had the game closed out by just after half time and Offaly could still be in CP now and they wouldn't win .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Loup Bandit

DubsforSam - Just picked up my tickets last night, wont be sitting too far from you after all. Lower Cusack - Section 306.    ;D

Just thinking, its a credit to Jason Sherlock that he is still playing county football, a very dedicated and under-rated cog in the dublin wheel IMO. I remember him terrorising defence's in '95, and scoring that famous goal where he lost his boot! But for derry's sake, i hope he has one of his quieter games on saturday. His influence cant be under-estimated, his movement, bravery and unselfish link play are a joy to watch, not to mention ability to take a score himself.

Looking forward to the game big time!

STREET FIGHTER

There should be no problems with any derry fans getting tickets for this weekend's big game.  Urge all the oakleafers you know to get out and support the team.

DUBSFORSAM1

Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

Amazing listening to the Derry folk here that you would think that they had so many brilliant footballers and yet they can barely win a provincial game...if players are so good then they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games because they are incapable of winning an Ulster match....

marty88

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2007, 11:30:38 AM
Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

Amazing listening to the Derry folk here that you would think that they had so many brilliant footballers and yet they can barely win a provincial game...if players are so good then they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games because they are incapable of winning an Ulster match....

Your right, we're shite. We fluked it to get here, your goning to hammer us!
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: marty88 on August 07, 2007, 11:35:42 AM
Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

Your right, we're shite. We fluked it to get here, your goning to hammer us!

Marty - glad to see you can pick up something that isn't there...

screenexile

Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

What's winning an Ulster match got to do with anything? It's common knowledge that the standard of Ulster football is better than any other province. The reason Ulster don't win more AI's is mainly due to team's having to peak too soon as witnessed over the last few years (Tyrone's exceptional 2005 run excepted) and given the fact that Leinster haven't appeared in an AIF since 2001 and even then Meath were humiliated... with Leinster's last AI title another 2 years before that you can hardly call the province competitive on a national level. I can't remember what happened last time Derry played the Leinster champions in an AIQF can you?

Anyway we all know that there is a serious difference between games played in May and games in August... teams can completely transform. As for your observation that "If our players are so good they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games", it's common knowledge and a failing of Derry's over the last 17 years that we have a collection of individuals as talented if not more talented than other teams but for some reason when they are all thrown together they cannot seem to perform as well as say a team of average footballers playing to their collective strength.

As I have said before, this is what we will see on Saturday and why I think the Dubs will win!

orangeman

Will Kevin Mc Guckin be playing on Saturday ?

Maximus Marillius

screenexile
Quote[it's common knowledge and a failing of Derry's over the last 17 years that we have a collection of individuals as talented if not more talented than other teams but for some reason when they are all thrown together they cannot seem to perform as well as say a team of average footballers playing to their collective strength.
/quote]

Now let me do my maths....17 from 2007 leaves 1990....feed a corner forward on farts but did we not win 2 Ulster, 3 National Leagues and an All Irealnd from 92-98, I think you need to look at the crop of players from 2001-2007...want to reassess.

STREET FIGHTER

Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

Well that obviously indicates the different level of football.  Lets not forget that Ulster has provided some of the best teams in recent years.  Derry would have certainly won alot more provincial titles should let have been up against the same standard of teams hailing from leinster.