Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbobjnr

I'll eat my hat if derry don't win. just put £100 on them at 3/1!

mc_grens

QuoteI'll eat my hat if derry don't win. just put £100 on them at 3/1!

No No No No NO!!!!

How many times!!! Dublin will win. we are out of our depth!

The Real Laoislad

3/1  :o  Them good odds might throw a few cents on them myself
You'll Never Walk Alone.

we are blue... etc

Derry will have no fear of Dublin. Whoever gets the jobs of marking Brogan/Vaughan/etc. will do their damnest to give them nothing to jeer about. I would be putting money on it only my religion forbids gambling.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 06, 2007, 10:47:07 PM
Derry will have no fear of Dublin. Whoever gets the jobs of marking Brogan/Vaughan/etc. will do their damnest to give them nothing to jeer about. I would be putting money on it only my religion forbids gambling.

Sure we are all atheists in Laois!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jimbobjnr

The Dubs could even do well with putting money on derry +3 at 11/10. not bad atall.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 06, 2007, 10:11:49 PM
Unbelievable article, in a nutshell exactly why the rest of the country can't stand Dublin.

The rest of the country can't stand dublin because a Meath man thinks they'll win?  That's the best excuse yet.

ONeill

Good luck to the in-breds at the weekend. Never thought I'd write that.

No better man than Spillane to unite a province.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

QuoteHow are Derry a better football team with better players?Huh??

Well taken as a purely statistical standpoint I would bet my house on the fact that there are maybe twice as many All-Ireland medals among the Derry panel than on the Dublin panel and won from a wider range of competitions, I haven't got time to work out exact amounts of medals but I could safely say that in terms of actual Medals Derry would have at least twice as many as Dublin ranging from Minor, Colleges, Club, Sigerson and U-21 while Dublin have a few Sigerson, a few U21 and maybe Jayo with one Senior.

My own personal opinion is that McConnell, Griffin, Casey, Cahill, Ryan, B. Brogan, Moran, Sherlock (Was good, not anymore) and Vaughan are average footballers. Of course the rest of the team are extremely talented and the lads mentioned stick to their gameplan extremely well which means Dublin are extremely difficult to break down and difficult to beat.

Derry's players IMO are better individually than the Dublin team but their gameplan, fitness and teamwork is not up to the standard that Dublin have set.

As Tohill said, Dublin are further along in their development than Derry, we are most definitely a team in transition and we will have learned from this year, it is for this reason that I think Dublin will beat us, they have had 3 years good preparation, some tough defeats which they will have learned from and ultimately they will not have a better chance than this to win an All-Ireland!

Jimbobjnr

I think one of the reasons that Dublin get hyped up alot is because so much of them is being shown on TV. People see them playing in Croke Park year after year and begin to think that they are better players than they actually are. In my opinion Dublin are an  average team, and a few teams recently have been victims of their own downfall against them by being feared of them. Derry aren't world beaters either but have alot better players than Dublin, and that should see them through on the day if their minds are right.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Jimbobjnr on August 06, 2007, 11:15:44 PM
I think one of the reasons that Dublin get hyped up alot is because so much of them is being shown on TV. People see them playing in Croke Park year after year and begin to think that they are better players than they actually are. In my opinion Dublin are an  average team, and a few teams recently have been victims of their own downfall against them by being feared of them. Derry aren't world beaters either but have alot better players than Dublin, and that should see them through on the day if their minds are right.

Totally agree with you.If Laois had have had any bottle at all in them Dublin were there for the taking in the Leinster Final and the same with Offaly in the semi final
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 06, 2007, 10:11:49 PM
How many tickets did Derry get by the way?Were they all taken?

Derry were given 5 tickets, but according to reports, they could have shifted as many as 10.*

*may or may not be true.
:P

Sandy Hill

The intimidating atmosphere in Croker on Saturday and the possible superior fitness of Dublin may be too much for Derry; I'd really love to see a Derry win!
"Stercus accidit"

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2007, 10:31:40 PM
For all their perceived talents which they do genuinely have. i can't get over that this derry team has failed consistently in the Ulster championship. I find it difficult to rationalise that they will suddenly turn up in Croke park and be world beaters. The reality is we're called arrogant no matter what way we call it. If this Derry team were so good they'd have at least won an Ulster championship. For Derry to win Dublin wil have to play well below par.
That's a possibilty especially with this Dublin team but Derry aren't all-ireland contenders in my view regardless of the result next Saturday.i'd call it honesty some of the Dublin nay-sayers will call it arrogance. Quite frankly i couldn't give a flying f**k what you call it-for Derry to win Dublin will have to underperform. I expect Dublin to win by 4 points
I disagree, as Screen said, man for man Derry are certainly no worse then Dublin - the bookies make Dublin 1/3, I reckon somewhere around 8/13 would be more realistic given the personnel on show, given home advantage and how the team are used to the big occasion etc one has to make them decent favourites.
If Derry win, it will because they have managed to perfom, if Dublin win, it will be more likely because Derry have failed to perform again.  The problem Derry have had has been consistency, the defeats by Donegal and Monaghan in the past 2 years were dreadful efforts, absolutely abysmal, that's why I'd be loathe to tip Derry here, they're always capable of throwing out a performance like that.
There's no doubt that if Dublin win, they'll be realistic contenders, however if Derry were to manage a win, few would see them taking the title (even if Monaghan were to beat Kerry, everyone's fancy would be Cork/Meath).
As for the margin of victory, Derry will win narrowly, or they'll lose by 6/7.

Jimbobjnr

agree alot with what you say there bogball. Derry rarely come back from behind in games, so i wudn't like to see Dublin fire in a goal or two early on (dont think it will happen). that would be my only worry about the game.

Its time for Derry so step up and show the caliber of players they have, its been a long time coming.