Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

That column is absolutely laughable... some of the things he is missing from the article is the fact that Derry are actually a better football team than Dublin with better players... sure enough Dublin's fitness, passion, gameplan and few individuals may be enough to carry them through to an All-Ireland but this drivel Hayes is talking makes them out to be world beaters when this is clearly not the case.

To be honest it will be a fascinating game and there are so many different ways it can turn but I really don't think we can get steam rollered on this one!

QuoteAfter that, you've got individuals on the Derry team with big names who have not put in the really big performances in recent years. Sean Marty Lockhart, for instance, is a favourite on the lips of all media commentators, more because of what he did in the first half of his excellent career than the second-half. Enda Muldoon, too, has had a career of two halves!

As for this tripe! Well the man's ignorance really speaks for itself!

Bogball XV

Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2007, 04:07:01 PM
QuoteAfter that, you've got individuals on the Derry team with big names who have not put in the really big performances in recent years. Sean Marty Lockhart, for instance, is a favourite on the lips of all media commentators, more because of what he did in the first half of his excellent career than the second-half. Enda Muldoon, too, has had a career of two halves!

Don't know about that Screen, Lockhart has for too long been untouchable, but he has not been great for Derry since the early part of this decade - admittedly that's because he's been injured and played out of position for much of the time, but Hayes point is valid.
As for Enda, you just never know what you're going to get from him, he's had a fair few poor games for Derry too, although I feel he's probably been better for Derry over the last couple of years than he was in his early years?

ziggysego

Pin that to your dressing room Doire! Use it as a motivator ;)
Testing Accessibility

Tyrone Dreamer

Looking forward to the game and would love to see Derry win. I think if Derry turn up and play to their potential then an upset is a real possibility. Derry are unrecognisable from the team that didnt turn up to play Monaghan. Theyre very strong in defence, have strong midfielders and have the class of  Muldoon and Bradley up front. Theyve also got good workers in the form of Lynch and Murphy. Dublin will be difficult to beat and there pace will casue Derry problems. When Dublin produce there 2 spells of 15 minutes in the game it is important that Derry dont let there heads drop and keep the Dublin score down. If this happens Derry will win but its a big if. This Derry  team also arent used to playing in such a big occasio but theyve have lots of experience throughout. Big day for Gilligan - really needs to play to his potential.

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2007, 04:07:01 PM
That column is absolutely laughable... some of the things he is missing from the article is the fact that Derry are actually a better football team than Dublin with better players... sure enough Dublin's fitness, passion, gameplan and few individuals may be enough to carry them through to an All-Ireland but this drivel Hayes is talking makes them out to be world beaters when this is clearly not the case.

To be honest it will be a fascinating game and there are so many different ways it can turn but I really don't think we can get steam rollered on this one!

They most certainly are not. I know it's quite common for people around the country to look down their noses at the Dubs and deride them as a bunch of gym monkeys who'll run all day but have little real football ability, but it's simply not true. My guess is that this will be all too apparent come Saturday evening.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

oakleaf stateside

aw sounds like the dubs have this years allireland won already
Dont Do It

DUBSFORSAM1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScreenExile....

How are Derry a better football team with better players??????

INDIANA

he's hanging onto the notion that ulster football still rules .come sunday evening he'll have new respect for the perceived weakness of the leinster championship in comparison to ulster. when leinster and munster rule comprise the semi-final pairings.

Tyrone Dreamer

I think there is a lot of overconfidence from some Dublin fans who dont seem to appreciate that Derry are a genuine threat. McGuckin, Lockhart and McCloy are as good a defenders if not better than what the Dubs have. Doherty and Conway helped by Muldoon should be more than able to cope with Dublin in the middle. Up front Bradley is the best forward on show on Saturday. However not sure if Derry have as much quality overall as the Dubs and may have one or 2 weak links. They may also struggle with the pace of the game and the occasion could get to some. If Paddy Bradley produces a big display on Saturday and Derry win he might finally get that all star he's after. I dont think Derry will ever have as many people around Ireland supporting them as this Saturday.

johnpower

I think Meaths win on Sat shows the Dubs in a good light . I expect that Derry will not be able to live with the Dubs in Croker on sat . I predict the Dubs by 7

The Real Laoislad

Hope ta f**k Derry wipes the smug smiles of a few of the Dublin players
But i think Dublin will win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Unbelievable article, in a nutshell exactly why the rest of the country can't stand Dublin.
would love to see one of the unmentioned players ie Lynch, McGuckin, really show what they can do and destroy Dublin
Think the game is too close to call all over the pitch, but hope to God Derry can show their true class and give Dublin a real battle.
How many tickets did Derry get by the way?Were they all taken?

mc_grens

REALLY starting to look forward to this one now.

we are blue... etc

Re. the Liam Hayes article, I should point out that he had Laois tipped for the All-Ireland at the start of the year. In other words he's a spoofer.

Quote from: mc_grens on August 06, 2007, 10:16:21 PM
REALLY starting to look forward to this one now.

Me too pal. Looking forward to it in much the same way as I would with England in the World Cup.

INDIANA

For all their perceived talents which they do genuinely have. i can't get over that this derry team has failed consistently in the Ulster championship. I find it difficult to rationalise that they will suddenly turn up in Croke park and be world beaters. The reality is we're called arrogant no matter what way we call it. If this Derry team were so good they'd have at least won an Ulster championship. For Derry to win Dublin wil have to play well below par.
That's a possibilty especially with this Dublin team but Derry aren't all-ireland contenders in my view regardless of the result next Saturday.i'd call it honesty some of the Dublin nay-sayers will call it arrogance. Quite frankly i couldn't give a flying f**k what you call it-for Derry to win Dublin will have to underperform. I expect Dublin to win by 4 points