Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2007, 03:49:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2007, 08:51:19 PM
I read something last week in some paper that the Gardaí want dublin's game at 3pm.

On at 3 pm per GAA website fixtures list. ;)

That's settled then, it might begin by 4 pm so.  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bailestil

Great to see the double header Minor and Senior.

As for the croker park thing, as you say bandit, everyone has played there before, most in an AI Semi against Kerry. The atmosphere shouldn't make too much of a difference to them, if they have the experience.

DUBSFORSAM1

Playing against Kerry in front of 32k is totally different in atmosphere terms to playing Dublin in front of 82k

SuperHans

Did Devlin not get an appearance against Laois in 05
Hinphy plaued in the Nicky Rackard final last year.
I know this occeasion will be much different but at least Croke wont be completely alien to them

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 30, 2007, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2007, 03:49:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2007, 08:51:19 PM
I read something last week in some paper that the Gardaí want dublin's game at 3pm.

On at 3 pm per GAA website fixtures list. ;)

That's settled then, it might begin by 4 pm so.  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Star Spangler

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 30, 2007, 02:03:05 PM

Tyrone are overrated, I think Meath will beat them, primarily because of injuries, but they're not the team people make them out to be.

In fairness Tyrone are the Ulster champions - that must be worth something at least!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 30, 2007, 05:18:16 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 30, 2007, 02:03:05 PM

Tyrone are overrated, I think Meath will beat them, primarily because of injuries, but they're not the team people make them out to be.

In fairness Tyrone are the Ulster champions - that must be worth something at least!
Look I'm the first to acknowledge how good this Tyrone team can be, but I just think they've too many injury problems to warrant the rating of second favs for the All Ireland.

tbrick18

Quote from: headtheball on July 30, 2007, 01:24:50 PM
This is from a challenge match 2 weeks before the first dublin and meath game.

Late minute Magee goal seals Dubs win

DUBLIN 2-8 DERRY 0-11

A last minute goal from Darren Magee gave Dublin victory in this SF challenge at Na Fianna's grounds on St Mobhi Road on Saturday afternoon.

The game looked to be petering out to a draw but the Dubs mustered one last attack and were rewarded when the big Kilmacud midfielder fired to the net at the end of a move initiated by Declan Lally back in his own defence.

Dublin started brightly with the long early delivery towards Conal Keaney paying dividends and they led 0-3 to 0-1 after eight minutes.

Just before the midpoint of the opening half Barry Cahill was put through on goal by Keaney but he fired his shot wide of Barry Gillis' left hand post.

Three minutes later Keaney extended the Dubs lead with a fine point on the turn following a good pass from Cahill.

But from then to the break Dublin began using the wings more to very limited effort as Derry showed the greater accuracy in attack with corner-forward Mark Lynch kicking two superb angled points from out wide on the right wing.

The Oak Leaf County spurned a goal opportunity themselves when full-forward Enda Muldoon cut through the Dublin defence but could only find the side-netting.

Dublin led at the interval 0-6 to 0-5 after Keaney concluded the first half scoring in the 33rd minute following an excellent fetch by Darren Magee at midfield and strong running from Paul Griffin.

But inside the first minute of the restart Derry were level. A diagonal ball from Conleth Gilligan was midjudged by Ross McConnell and Muldoon tapped over for his third point from play shortly before going off injured.

Ray Wilkinson edged Derry in front for the first time in the 37th minute but Mark Vaughan netted two minutes later after Keaney's original effort was blocked out.

The sides went 20 minutes without a score between the 13th and 33th minute of the second half - with the Dubs guilty of some bad wides including three frees from Tomas Quinn (two) and one from Vaughan - before Wilkinson punished a badly misplaced pass from Stephen O'Shaughnessy to level the game.

But the home side marked the official opening of Na Fianna's new clubhouse and all-weather pitch with a Dublin victory when Lally foraged deep inside his own half to win possession before carrying the ball into Derry territory and which culminated in Keaney placing Magee who fired the winner.

SCORERS - Dublin: C Keaney 0-4 (0-1f), M Vaughan, D Magee 1-0 each, C Moran, D Connolly, T Quinn, G Brennan 0-1 each. Derry: E Muldoon, M Lynch, R Wilkinson 0-3 each, B McGoldrick, C Gilligan (0-1f) 0-1 each.
DUBLIN - S Cluxton; D Henry, R McConnell, P Griffin; P Casey, B Cullen, B Cahill; D Magee, C Whelan; C Moran, S Ryan, D Connolly; M Vaughan, C Keaney, T Quinn. Subs: J Magee for Whelan, G Brennan for Cahill, D Lally for Quinn, S O'Shaughnessy for Henry, P Flynn for Moran, D Murray for Connolly, C Goggins for Cullen.
DERRY - B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McCloy, G O'Kane; P Cartin, SM Lockhart, C McKeever; F Doherty, J Diver; B McGoldrick, C Gilligan, G Donaghy; R Wilkinson, E Muldoon, M Lynch. Subs: P Murphy for Muldoon, Patsy Bradley for Cartin, J Conway for Diver, J Keenan for McCloy, E Lynn for B McGoldrick.
REF - P McEnaney (Monaghan).

I dont know about Dublin, but I know the Derry team named above will be nothing like the team that will start against the Dubs in the quarters.
Wouldnt read anything into this at all.

tbrick18

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 30, 2007, 01:38:46 PM
Quote from: Barney on July 30, 2007, 01:16:00 PM
This is a game where Dublin have to favoured but in Doherty, Lockhart and McGoldrick Derry have players that can stop Dublin's marquee names.

It is the first time this season that Dublin will have played against a decent defense. It will be a real test as to whether their forwards have improved. I think that Derry are trouble by pacey teams and this is where Dublin may have a crucial advantage.

Should be a good game though.

Barney

So Meath don't have a decent defence then????? That Derry defence conceeded as much as we did against a weaker Laois team...Derry have trouble against pacey strong teams...

Do you think Dublin are a pacier team than Laois? I know they are more physical but are they faster?

Hound

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2007, 08:26:47 PM
I dont know about Dublin, but I know the Derry team named above will be nothing like the team that will start against the Dubs in the quarters.
Wouldnt read anything into this at all.
Pretty close to the Dublin team actually! Main diff being the absence of the Brogans

tbrick18

Quote from: Loup Bandit on July 30, 2007, 03:28:54 PM
Dublin 1/3       Draw 15/2         Derry 3/1

Bit of value with derry there i think. On the handicap you will probably get +3 points at Even's.
the 2 week break will do Derry no harm, with Lynch, McGoldrick and Murphy picking up injuries and retiring against Laois. Any one any updates on these? Plus another 2 weeks will help Kevin McGuckin and help Eoin Bradley's cause. However he did not even warm up once during the Laois game, i thought he would have been thrown in near the end up front.

Really looking froward to the match. I genuinely think derry can spring a surprise but it will take some big performances. My worry is that we could maybe snuff out one of the Dub's forwards like Keaney / Brogan / Vaughan but it would be some task keeping them all relatively quiet on the scoring front on the one day. But we have the players to step up to themark so who knows?!

Dublin's kick outs are well documented so derry will have to do their homework here i.e who is going to track Shane Ryan out to the wings to try and thwart this.

There's talk of Derry maybe being fazed by the occassion and all but all the team has played in Croker before betwen Minors, 01, 04 and 05. Only one's who im not sure have played there are; Hinphey, Conway and Devlin, correct me if im wrong. But i wouldnt be too worried about these lads anyway and im sure they could adapt the best.

Murphy's injury is supposed to be quite serious. Waiting on a knee scan by all accounts.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 08:30:45 PMPretty close to the Dublin team actually! Main diff being the absence of the Brogans
Sure they're not up to much anyway ;)
As Derry were missing the Bradleys that probably levels it up?

Hound

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 30, 2007, 08:47:15 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 08:30:45 PMPretty close to the Dublin team actually! Main diff being the absence of the Brogans
Absolutely. So we'll be level as the game heads into injury time, then Darren Magee will come off the bench to score the winning goal! I'd say... ;)

Oak Leafer

I hope Derry won this game, if only to wipe the smug look off that Tommy Lyons f**kers face!! Maybe then him and the ignorant Pat Spillane will give big Anthony a chance to say somethin!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 09:00:30 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 30, 2007, 08:47:15 PM
Absolutely. So we'll be level as the game heads into injury time, then Darren Magee will come off the bench to score the winning goal! I'd say... ;)
I'd say Loneshark would give you pretty good odds on Dazzer scoring the last (and winning) goal!!