Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Gnevin on July 30, 2007, 12:09:10 PM
This will be a game about the backs
Can Dublin contain Derry's forward threat?
Will Derry's back's be a soft as they where against Laois?

I think it will be more about midfield/breaking ball....whoever wins this area will win the match...

Barney

This is a game where Dublin have to favoured but in Doherty, Lockhart and McGoldrick Derry have players that can stop Dublin's marquee names.

It is the first time this season that Dublin will have played against a decent defense. It will be a real test as to whether their forwards have improved. I think that Derry are trouble by pacey teams and this is where Dublin may have a crucial advantage.

Should be a good game though.

headtheball

This is from a challenge match 2 weeks before the first dublin and meath game.

Late minute Magee goal seals Dubs win

DUBLIN 2-8 DERRY 0-11

A last minute goal from Darren Magee gave Dublin victory in this SF challenge at Na Fianna's grounds on St Mobhi Road on Saturday afternoon.

The game looked to be petering out to a draw but the Dubs mustered one last attack and were rewarded when the big Kilmacud midfielder fired to the net at the end of a move initiated by Declan Lally back in his own defence.

Dublin started brightly with the long early delivery towards Conal Keaney paying dividends and they led 0-3 to 0-1 after eight minutes.

Just before the midpoint of the opening half Barry Cahill was put through on goal by Keaney but he fired his shot wide of Barry Gillis' left hand post.

Three minutes later Keaney extended the Dubs lead with a fine point on the turn following a good pass from Cahill.

But from then to the break Dublin began using the wings more to very limited effort as Derry showed the greater accuracy in attack with corner-forward Mark Lynch kicking two superb angled points from out wide on the right wing.

The Oak Leaf County spurned a goal opportunity themselves when full-forward Enda Muldoon cut through the Dublin defence but could only find the side-netting.

Dublin led at the interval 0-6 to 0-5 after Keaney concluded the first half scoring in the 33rd minute following an excellent fetch by Darren Magee at midfield and strong running from Paul Griffin.

But inside the first minute of the restart Derry were level. A diagonal ball from Conleth Gilligan was midjudged by Ross McConnell and Muldoon tapped over for his third point from play shortly before going off injured.

Ray Wilkinson edged Derry in front for the first time in the 37th minute but Mark Vaughan netted two minutes later after Keaney's original effort was blocked out.

The sides went 20 minutes without a score between the 13th and 33th minute of the second half - with the Dubs guilty of some bad wides including three frees from Tomas Quinn (two) and one from Vaughan - before Wilkinson punished a badly misplaced pass from Stephen O'Shaughnessy to level the game.

But the home side marked the official opening of Na Fianna's new clubhouse and all-weather pitch with a Dublin victory when Lally foraged deep inside his own half to win possession before carrying the ball into Derry territory and which culminated in Keaney placing Magee who fired the winner.

SCORERS - Dublin: C Keaney 0-4 (0-1f), M Vaughan, D Magee 1-0 each, C Moran, D Connolly, T Quinn, G Brennan 0-1 each. Derry: E Muldoon, M Lynch, R Wilkinson 0-3 each, B McGoldrick, C Gilligan (0-1f) 0-1 each.
DUBLIN - S Cluxton; D Henry, R McConnell, P Griffin; P Casey, B Cullen, B Cahill; D Magee, C Whelan; C Moran, S Ryan, D Connolly; M Vaughan, C Keaney, T Quinn. Subs: J Magee for Whelan, G Brennan for Cahill, D Lally for Quinn, S O'Shaughnessy for Henry, P Flynn for Moran, D Murray for Connolly, C Goggins for Cullen.
DERRY - B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McCloy, G O'Kane; P Cartin, SM Lockhart, C McKeever; F Doherty, J Diver; B McGoldrick, C Gilligan, G Donaghy; R Wilkinson, E Muldoon, M Lynch. Subs: P Murphy for Muldoon, Patsy Bradley for Cartin, J Conway for Diver, J Keenan for McCloy, E Lynn for B McGoldrick.
REF - P McEnaney (Monaghan).

orangeman

I'd say it will be a different contest at HQ on 11th August - challenge matches won't count for much then.

marty88

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 01:28:50 PM
I'd say it will be a different contest at HQ on 11th August - challenge matches won't count for much then.

How many you think the dubs will win by this time?
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 01:28:50 PM

It was level until the last minute, do you not expect a close game this time?
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

I can see Derry causing an upset - Derry have nothing to lose and most of the country but more importantly Dublin think they're going to win the All Ireland which is a very dangerous mindset to have.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Barney on July 30, 2007, 01:16:00 PM
This is a game where Dublin have to favoured but in Doherty, Lockhart and McGoldrick Derry have players that can stop Dublin's marquee names.

It is the first time this season that Dublin will have played against a decent defense. It will be a real test as to whether their forwards have improved. I think that Derry are trouble by pacey teams and this is where Dublin may have a crucial advantage.

Should be a good game though.

Barney

So Meath don't have a decent defence then????? That Derry defence conceeded as much as we did against a weaker Laois team...Derry have trouble against pacey strong teams...

Marty_mcd

Derry stand a real chance lads, they were the underdogs against both mayo and Armagh,  Its seems they like this title.  Plus all the media hipe that Dublin will recieve in the next couple of weeks can't hurt the Oak Leafers either

Hound

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 01:35:17 PM
most of the country but more importantly Dublin think they're going to win the All Ireland which is a very dangerous mindset to have.
What a bizarre comment. Pure Drivel.

Dublin have a chance of winning the All Ireland but all of the country would rate them behind Kerry and Tyrone and most of Dublin would too.

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 01:35:17 PM
I can see Derry causing an upset - Derry have nothing to lose and most of the country but more importantly Dublin think they're going to win the All Ireland which is a very dangerous mindset to have.

Orangman, who from the Dublin camp or what Dublin fans on here have said they think they are going to win the All Ireland??

Thats a crazy statement, maybe its what you would like to think so you can give out about it, but dont make these things up  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 01:41:33 PMDublin have a chance of winning the All Ireland but all of the country would rate them behind Kerry and Tyrone and most of Dublin would too.
I don't - I rate think the overall standard is pretty level this year - no team stands out at all - anyone in the quarters can beat anyone else (well, I don't think Sligo will have enough, would love them to beat Cork, but I can't see it).
Kerry have done nothing yet this year and could easily have lost to Cork.
Cork are no better or worse than Kerry, this year, for the first time, I think Cork could have the beating of Kerry outside Munster if they were to meet again.
Dublin have looked very good at times, but I don't think they were as easy winners against Laois as people are suggesting - Laois were the better side for most of the first half, and in the second half took the wrong option too many times, they frequently had the Dubs defence in trouble.
Meath, again, Meath could easily turn the tables on the Dubs imo, they could have taken either game against the Dubs with a bit of luck (reffing decisions particularly vital the first day).
Tyrone are overrated, I think Meath will beat them, primarily because of injuries, but they're not the team people make them out to be.
Monaghan, could beat Kerry, I don't think they'll win Sam, but they're not far away at the minute.
Derry - who knows, we could beat anyone or equally our wee lads might freeze on the big occasion, what with all them dubs on the hill shouting obscenitites (they likes of which our players normally only get from their own fans), it just might be too much for them.  Again, we don't look good enough to take Sam, but then who does??

Hound

I agree largely with Bogball. Although if Kerry and Tyrone are at their best I'd definitely rate them a step ahead of everyone else. But as Bogball said, there's a fair chance they won't be at their best. I think all 4 underdogs have a decent chance in their quarter-finals, and none of the 8 remaining teams have "no chance" of winning Sam. 

Loup Bandit

Dublin 1/3       Draw 15/2         Derry 3/1

Bit of value with derry there i think. On the handicap you will probably get +3 points at Even's.
the 2 week break will do Derry no harm, with Lynch, McGoldrick and Murphy picking up injuries and retiring against Laois. Any one any updates on these? Plus another 2 weeks will help Kevin McGuckin and help Eoin Bradley's cause. However he did not even warm up once during the Laois game, i thought he would have been thrown in near the end up front.

Really looking froward to the match. I genuinely think derry can spring a surprise but it will take some big performances. My worry is that we could maybe snuff out one of the Dub's forwards like Keaney / Brogan / Vaughan but it would be some task keeping them all relatively quiet on the scoring front on the one day. But we have the players to step up to themark so who knows?!

Dublin's kick outs are well documented so derry will have to do their homework here i.e who is going to track Shane Ryan out to the wings to try and thwart this.

There's talk of Derry maybe being fazed by the occassion and all but all the team has played in Croker before betwen Minors, 01, 04 and 05. Only one's who im not sure have played there are; Hinphey, Conway and Devlin, correct me if im wrong. But i wouldnt be too worried about these lads anyway and im sure they could adapt the best.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2007, 08:51:19 PM
I read something last week in some paper that the GardaĆ­ want dublin's game at 3pm.

On at 3 pm per GAA website fixtures list. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM