McIver steps down as Donegal boss

Started by Datsun Donaghy, July 28, 2007, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2007, 10:34:32 AM
Quote from: oakleaf stateside on July 29, 2007, 02:34:45 AM
derry is his next job wait and c ;) ;)

completely agree
I was thinking before the weekend that I would love if he became available.

If the Derry co board are any use, they would be sounding him out in a couple of weeks to see if he might consider the job.
If no , no and then no again, we can always extend PC's contract for another season then.

McIvor would def bring Derry on I think.

Sweet Jesus lads...... Crozier is doing good with you lads. Show a big of loyality, instead of sharpening the knives!
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Paddy Crozier's team last year prevented the All Ireland champs for scoring in 1st half of last years match - now he's in 1/4 finals - maybe semis - and Derry people are looking for a new manager ???? Typical - remember Eamonn Coleman ?

lynchbhoy

Paddy C has done quite well this past few weeks
but the antrim and monaghan games were not too hot
unless he was aiming to get into the qualifiers...

I just personally think that McIvor has more about him.
A more proven manager and tactically astute man than the game and industrious Crozier.

orangeman

He will still have the same players and when things go wrong and there are 6 or 8 Ballinderry men on the field, you will be wanting rid of him cos he had a perceived Ballinderry favouritism ??? You just can't win !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 04:07:05 PM
He will still have the same players and when things go wrong and there are 6 or 8 Ballinderry men on the field, you will be wanting rid of him cos he had a perceived Ballinderry favouritism ??? You just can't win !
mickey harte took over more or less the same bunch of perennial underachievers
wonder how he got on afterwards...  ;)

magpie seanie

QuoteIf McHugh doesn't grow a set of balls and take the donegal job this time he'll lose a lot of credability

That's a valid viewpoint alright but look at it this way - if you were him would you take them over? They'd fight with their own shadows.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 30, 2007, 04:58:17 PM
QuoteIf McHugh doesn't grow a set of balls and take the donegal job this time he'll lose a lot of credability

That's a valid viewpoint alright but look at it this way - if you were him would you take them over? They'd fight with their own shadows.
they're that bad,  they'd even fight with cliff richard !  :o :D

ExiledGael

McHugh says in todays Star there's no chance of him taking the job, already passing the buck to 'Charlie Mulgrew and inevitibly Brian McEniff'.
They're his tips

ziggysego

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 30, 2007, 07:06:10 PM
McHugh says in todays Star there's no chance of him taking the job, already passing the buck to 'Charlie Mulgrew and inevitibly Brian McEniff'.
They're his tips

Obviously was reading what I had to say ;)
Testing Accessibility

INDIANA

mc iver gave it everything not sure his players can say the same- i thought they threw the towel in on sat.

ziggysego

QuoteMcIver rules out county comeback 

Brian McIver has vowed never to return to inter-county management after stepping down as Donegal boss.

McIver resigned after Saturday night's 2-12 to 1-7 defeat by Monaghan in the third round of All-Ireland qualifiers.

"I said to the Donegal players that it would be my last county side I'll manage and that will be the case," McIver told BBC Sport.

"There's a serious amount of work still to be done with Donegal and it needs someone with tremendous energy."

The Tyrone man took charge in September 2005 and led Donegal to last year's All-Ireland quarter-finals where they were narrowly defeated by Cork.

His side won the National Football League this year but lost heavily to Tyrone in their Ulster SFC semi-final.

The county had high hopes of progressing from last year's appearance in the last eight but, in the end, fell well short.

"I was very disappointed with our performance against Mongahan," added McIver.

"I felt whenever we went all-square after half-time we were in a position to win the game but we didn't do it."

McIver had formerly led Ballinderry to an All-Ireland club title in 2002 and was a surprise choice to succeed Brian McEniff as Donegal boss.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6923238.stm

I guess that means he won't be replacing Mickey Harte when he steps down, with Peter Canavan as his number 2 ;)
Testing Accessibility

Hungry Exile

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 04:07:05 PM

I think Crozier already has the monopoly on using Ballinderry players - Coming into the last 10 minutes they had the following on the pitch:

Kevin McGuckin
James Conway
Raymond Wilkinson
Enda Muldoon
Colin Devlin
Conleith Gilligan

From memory the only Ballinderry lad on the county panel that didn't get a game on Saturday nite was McIver's son - can't remember his first name (was the U21 captain this year).  I suppose you have to draw a line somewhere!!

jodyb

DoYerJob Linesman

Up the Shamrocks! We're going to Croker!! ;)
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Hungry Exile

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on July 30, 2007, 11:07:53 PM
Up the Shamrocks! We're going to Croker!! ;)

DYJL,
With that many playing for the County - do you have enough left to fulfill your senior matches?

Would be a good charity challenge match Derry (without the Ballinderry men) Vs Ballinderry.  Who would your money be on DYJL?