McIver steps down as Donegal boss

Started by Datsun Donaghy, July 28, 2007, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datsun Donaghy

McIver steps down as Donegal boss.

Brian McIver has stepped down as Donegal manager after Saturday night's 2-12 to 1-7 defeat by Monaghan in the third round of All-Ireland qualifiers.

McIver told the players of his decision after the game at Healy Park.

The Tyrone man took charge in September 2005 and led Donegal to last year's All-Ireland quarter-finals where they were narrowly defeated by Cork.

His side won the National Football League this year but lost heavily to Tyrone in their Ulster SFC semi-final.

The county had high hopes of progressing from last year's appearance in the last eight but, in the end, fell well short.

McIver had formerly led Ballinderry to an All-Ireland club title in 2002 and was a surprise choice to succeed Brian McEniff as Donegal boss.

Good Luck Brian

a National League Title in his second year -
and almost a change in the mentality of Donegal players (until Mc Fadden nailed Dooher)

Possible candidate for Armagh if Big Paul doesn't get the invite?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Mickey Harte's successor, whenever he calls it a day  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Brian Mc Ivor is a top man and would be very disciplined - I think you can read into this that he was not entirely happy with all aspects of Donegal football and having led them to a National League title, he can walk away with his reuptation enhanced if anything.
I agree with the last post - I think he could succeed Mickey Harte but judging Mickey's long time involvement, it could be a whuile before this opportunity arises - Possibly Armagh though- he has all the right credentials - he is synonymous with success and he would be a good man for Armagh.

ziggysego

That was the first thing that popped into my head too orangeman. Still, we'll leave that for another day.

Brian was an excellent manager an only missed out the Tyrone manager post by the smallest of margins by Mickey Harte. This will definately not be the last we hear of Brian in the inter-county scene.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

I think for Donegal's it was a case of "you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

I am sure that Martin O'Rourke would welcome him to Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

My guess would be that: when Mickey Harte goes, Brian Mc Iver, with Peter Canavan as his number 2 will take over, but until then I couldn't see Mc Iver taking another county position -- Donegal was probably the only non-native county he'll ever do, and he did well there -- as the first NFL title is testimony to.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

never kickt a ball

Quote from: armaghniac on July 28, 2007, 11:30:03 PM
I think for Donegal's it was a case of "you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

I am sure that Martin O'Rourke would welcome him to Armagh.

Not a good analogy as far as Donegal are concerned Armaghniac but I know what you mean.

oakleaf stateside

Dont Do It

Uladh

He managed Dromintee in Armagh and their reports of him are very poor

orangeman

He managed Ardboe a lot of years and anytime he was invloved he was a winner - always a winner - no doubt about his credentials - he wasn't full time manager with Dromintee - he was filling in -Cross have the stranglehold there - He obviously didn't rate Martin O'Rourke too highly and vice versa -

clarshack

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 29, 2007, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 28, 2007, 11:33:48 PM
My guess would be that: when Mickey Harte goes, Brian Mc Iver, with Peter Canavan as his number 2 will take over, but until then I couldn't see Mc Iver taking another county position -- Donegal was probably the only non-native county he'll ever do, and he did well there -- as the first NFL title is testimony to.

Surely in Tyrone, there is now a "right of succession" with the U-21 and Minor management waiting their turn to move further to the end of the conveyor belt?

not exactly! the u-21 management have been found out big time this year.

ziggysego

I can see Mulgrew stepping into the Donegal job shortly.
Testing Accessibility

Uladh

If McHugh doesn't grow a set of balls and take the donegal job this time he'll lose a lot of credability.

Louper

any chance of him goin for fermanagh job?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on July 29, 2007, 02:34:45 AM
derry is his next job wait and c ;) ;)

completely agree
I was thinking before the weekend that I would love if he became available.

If the Derry co board are any use, they would be sounding him out in a couple of weeks to see if he might consider the job.
If no , no and then no again, we can always extend PC's contract for another season then.

McIvor would def bring Derry on I think.