Started by Bud Wiser, July 24, 2007, 10:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I am posting this because I got a mail telling me I should some days ago.

As some of you were aware Bud has been out of sorts for a while having being diagnosed with bowel cancer on 14th February this year.
On 1st March I had an operation and ended up with a procedure that has been with me until last Thursday week when this was reversed and apart from a three week healing process for a resulting wound I am fine.

In two weeks time I will be completely back to myself and tests have shown that I am completely in the clear, although you can never guarantee this but I am better now than I was last January.

Apart from the support I got in messages and texts, for which I want to thank you all, I felt that there was a certain amount of leniancy given when I made controversial posts. In other words, I can't get a good row going on the board except for one little git of a Dub so I hope that will change soon too and I get my weekly fix of abuse.

So, I am almost fully recovered (because both ops were done with the chopsticks through keyhole) and have been given the all clear.

I was fortunate that I insisted on having early tests and got diagnosed before any damage was done. I urge anyone who has any doubs in this depeartment to do the same, go for screening, it is painless and takes an hour out of your life to get it done. Same with getting into hospital, I got in because of the extreme methods I used and sitting in the bed last week I was reading where there are 2,400 people waiting for over one year for an operation. When I looked at the heartrending picture of James McGarry's young lad looking up at him and handing hime a hankerchief yesterday and the two of them holding onto each other, believe me I know how lucky I am.

Tallaght Hospital is also a student hospital and modern methods of surgery are available there from the country's top surgeons. For example, I had my reversal operation on Thursday and was able to sneak down to the pub on Sunday to watch the Leinster Final and I was released on Monday. For this reason I will be doing a fundraiser for the training and research unit in the hospital at a later stage. This will go towards allowing people in Oncology etc to attend conferences and learn more.

I will let ye know what the fundraiser will be and I am sure I will get a support. I was thinking of hiring the 500 seater conference room in Croker and getting RTE to broadcast a High Definition one of the ALL-Ireland Final between Dublin and Laois on the day for those who could not get tickets. (Don't the toffs do this for Grands Prix?) If I threw in a good band, a meal and a bit of an auction of prized items I should make €20,000 and we couold all roar away during the game as if we were in the corporate seats!

My sincere thanks to everyone.

Bud Wiser

Dinny Breen

Congrats Bud, you won a hard fiight. Apologies for Kildare being so crap this year as I know you love seeing them do well...
#newbridgeornowhere

his holiness nb

Go f**k yourself Bud (that better  ;) )

Seriously good to hear you are back to normal though and keep us updated re the fundraiser.
Ask me holy bollix

Kerry Mike

Thats fantastic news Bud, well done again and I hope you are getting the fishing tackle ready.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magpie seanie

Great that you are back to full health. Any help that I can give on the fundraiser will be at your disposal.

full back

Good to see you back at full strength Bud.
Now you are better, about that fcuker Manilou..................

T Fearon

Excellent news, Bud, all you need now is for Laois to reach the AI Final.

Keep us informed of the fund raising venture.

Lecale2

Bensars

well done bud,

you'll be back to an argumentitive hoor shortly

rrhf

So you are actually asking for less tolerance for your posts.  POG is the man we use for out and out ignorance around here.  Go at him Pint.
Bud... i dont know you but your story can inspire us all.  Keep telling it and good luck!

ziggysego

Congratulations Bud. Delighted to hear you got the all clear.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Delighted to hear that Bud. I'd be interested in the fundraiser idea as well. Good man.

Drumanee 1

good man bud,will i be seeing you in costa del sol shortly for a wee rest?,remeber the last time i was there my beloved derry were playing your own county although this time i hope the result is reversed.

nifan

Thats terrific news - now look after yourself!

Great news about the fundraising also.

Im delighted you caught yours early enough.
My father unfortunately didnt catch it fast enough and didnt make it, but the staff at the Sperrin room where excellent and we did some fundraising for them also. In fact my father also managed to do some fundraising for them before he died - reforming his old band from his youth and playing a couple of gigs in claudy and limavady before he got too weak.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Great stuff Bud, and may that cursed affliction never benight your body again.

Best of luck with the fundraiser!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...