Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Undoutedly the tie of the round, I fully expect Meath to win and will be betting accordingly at a tasty looking 5/2. 

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: snappiered on July 31, 2007, 09:30:05 AM
Any more word on our injuries? I heard Dooher broke down on Saturday and O Neill only lasted 15mins. They are both struggling. Also heard a whisper last night that Conor Gormley has a back problem and could be doubtful.

Heard from a source that Tyrone where playing in a training match in Trillick on Saturday morning, both Dooher and O'Neill did not last long.  Not looking good at this stage i think.  Any ideas on who could be the man to replace Dooher? McGinley perhaps?  On the plus side I think Calvin is ok as the hamstring injury he picked up in the Ulster Final does not seem to be affecting him.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Tyrone Dreamer

Seems to be a strong Armagh interest in the game. At least its giving them a hand in passing their summer by.

Hardy

Quote from: Uladh on July 31, 2007, 01:47:52 PM

Is Tommy Dowd involved in the meath set up and if so in what capacity?

Uladh, Tommy is a selector along with Dudley Farrell and Coyle.

mackers

Yea, Tyrone Dreamer it reminds me a lot of this time last year when the Tyronies took a more than passing interest in our campaign when they were out early in the summer!!! Looking forward to this clash as I think it will be tight. the 5/2 odds are bound to be slashed as word of these injuries spread. Although with such a "conveyer belt of talent" at Tyrone's disposal they may keep them where they are.  It'll be worth watching for any potential Ricey v geraghty tangles!!! Strictly for over 18s!!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Hardy

I think the result of this match will be hugely influenced by the presence or absence of Dooher, Tyrone's key player, IMO, and also by the loss of Kenny (especially if Dooher plays), the deployment of Moyles (he must be positioned to hold the middle, as agorm says) and, finally, the choice of referee.

Does anyone know when we'll find out who the ref is?

Jinxy

I believe it's Jimmy McKee. ;)
Apparently Kevin Reilly is now an injury doubt for us. We could surely do with Big Joe now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I wouldn't deny that Dooher was massive for us against Donegal, but he was curtailed and largely nullified against Monaghan (where someone else would have helped us a lot, I believe, though easy to say in hindsight). I don't think his absence, though significant, will affect the result to a critical degree.

We've several options in the middle of the park to vacuum loose ball, and harry the carriers, and whilst it would be foolhardy to allow space for the Meath midfield to bombard with high balls, I don't expect that latitude to be allowed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Yeah I think you could see Tommy and young Gormley getting a run out alrite
Mickey usually throws something new into the Pot
Think you'll see Block at FB and big Joe and CHB as a lot of ball tends to go through Geraghty who loves to shoot for goals quite often.

Would like to see Justin McMahon in if Dooher can't make it rather than Penfold

Not sure about Cavlan any more. I know I was saying he would do well in FF line but he was crap
In a touch physical encounter he hides and often takes too long to release his accurate passes

Still I suppose around HF he would help with his fielding and he loves Croker.

I'd go for

Devine
Ricey
Block
McCaul for his stature
Nephew or Justy
Joey
Jordan
Hub (Wakey wakey time)
Big Sean (player of the Year)
Cavlan
Tommy
Mellon
Gormley
Mugsy
McGinley

Stevie come on at half time, even if we're winning

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2007, 02:14:18 PM
Apparently Kevin Reilly is now an injury doubt for us. We could surely do with Big Joe now.

That's not good. Looking on the bright side, though, it might force the deployment of Moyles at CHB, which is essential, IMO.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2007, 02:19:21 PM

harry the carriers

Is he anything to Paddy the Plasterer?

supersarsfields

Well my tuppence worth.
This is the tie I was hoping for. Not because of 96, but because it will be a severe exmaination of our fullback line. The Meath FF line can be as deadly on it's day as any if it clicks. I'm sure MH has toyed with the idea of dropping Gormely back to help sure things up, ( I'm not even going to think about him not being fit for the game!!) But if he does play conor FB does he go with Joey CH? Or will he try Gourley there as I think he's played CH for Tyrone before. It's virtually impossible to try and guess what Mickey will decide.  Personally I'd move Gormley back and try joey at CH. I just think that Meath will without doubt be playing balls onto the edge of our square and no matter who starts opposite him, I reckon Gormely would get the majority of play over any Meath FF.
the only problem with that is that your losing a Class act at CH. But needs must and all that.
Up front I just hope Dooher can get fit. He'd be a major loss for Tyrone not just for his play but also for his leadership. It would be a major blow for that Tyrone team to line out with their captain. If he's not fit I would imagine McGinley will take his place. I reckon he has more about him than Penrose despite the fact we've seen little from either this year. In the FF line the responsibility will fall back on Mugsy. It's looking like SON will only be bench at best, so pressure on.
All in all as long as we get a steady start from our defence I think we'll win it. It the defence looks shaky from the beginning it could be Meath that rack up the big score, leaving Tyrone to ponder another year going astray!!

clarshack

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 31, 2007, 02:29:21 PM
Yeah I think you could see Tommy and young Gormley getting a run out alrite
Mickey usually throws something new into the Pot
Think you'll see Block at FB and big Joe and CHB as a lot of ball tends to go through Geraghty who loves to shoot for goals quite often.

Would like to see Justin McMahon in if Dooher can't make it rather than Penfold

Not sure about Cavlan any more. I know I was saying he would do well in FF line but he was crap
In a touch physical encounter he hides and often takes too long to release his accurate passes

Still I suppose around HF he would help with his fielding and he loves Croker.

I'd go for

Devine
Ricey
Block
McCaul for his stature
Nephew or Justy
Joey
Jordan
Hub (Wakey wakey time)
Big Sean (player of the Year)
Cavlan
Tommy
Mellon
Gormley
Mugsy
McGinley

Stevie come on at half time, even if we're winning

gormley is way too small and light for this particular encounter. agree with mccaul for corner back though.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on July 31, 2007, 02:38:20 PM

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2007, 02:19:21 PM
harry the carriers

Is he anything to Paddy the Plasterer?

Sister I believe  :D

Quote from: clarshack on July 31, 2007, 02:41:03 PM
gormley is way too small and light for this particular encounter. agree with mccaul for corner back though.

Not too sure about that, I'd say he'd have the speed to create a lot of problems for that Meath defence, especially with a fast, low ball in.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Gormley is not the tallest and might struggle against a 6'4'' player but not geraghty
Sure he might get the better of him the odd time but sure thats percentages.

Does anyone else think Denephew has been poor enough this year?
I think we have got used to making exceptions for him though he does always get a point per game.

Tyrone Dreamer

Id say there's a strong possibility Harte will move McCullagh to full forward. If he does Meath will probably have to move Fay out of full back onto Mulligan which straight away will unsettle their team. There's no way you could start McCullagh and Niall Gormely, and I definately think McCullagh is the better option especially with his cool free taking. This game will give us the best indication yet if Mulgrew is ready for centre half forward. If he's not we could be in trouble on Saturday but I expect him to have a decent game. Would not suprise me if O'Neill starts. Its hard to know what is the truth in the papers. Its a difficult decision with Gormley. He gives so much at centre half to the overall play but we struggle badly at full back without him. If he goes to full back there could even be an arguement for McCaul in the corner and Carlin at centre half.