Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Nephew has been average enough but has scored a few clinkers and provides good support runs from half back.  I for one would like to see Justy McMahon finally unleashed.  This is the game for him, his height and fielding ability would be crucial.  As for the Cavanagh debate, I won't even lower myself to Uladh's level.  Cavanagh wins his fair share of possession around mid-field, and every team in Ireland would love to have big Sean in the middle, launching penetrating run after run.  Geraghty was a great player, but I think he will be easily contained at the weekend!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

QuoteGeraghty was a great player, but I think he will be easily contained at the weekend!

Oh dear!

orangeman

Geraghty mightn't be that easy contained !!!!!!!!!!

Tombraider

Should be a great game on Saturday. Meath seem to be returning to the type of player and the same style of play that they had under Sean Boylan's regime.

johnpower

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2007, 04:14:15 PM
Geraghty HAS to start. It's that simple. I'd bring in Donegan centre forward if Reilly is out. Give him a proper go. If anyone else suggests starting Charles McCarthy I will shoot them with mind bullets. :o

What is wrong with Charlie ? Is he not up to the grade ?

Jinxy

In a word.........................no. Great underage player though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mr. Nakata

Can't wait for Saturday. I will be in Fagan's early, opting for the carvery if breakfast is light and quaffing 3 or 4 pints of guinness which is usually of a high standard in said establishment. BBC sport indicates MH may name his team on Wednesday night. I for one am a creature of habit and extremely superstitious, he always names on a Thursday, so Mickey, hold tight. With regards to team selection, any number of scenarios are possible and have been discussed already. I would tend to agree with Nrico and feel that Justy may get a start in this game. One things for sure, if midfield get the same tonking as last day out, we're finished. Dooher, please be fit.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 31, 2007, 09:54:17 PM
One things for sure, if midfield get the same tonking as last day out...

Not a chance  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

agorm

Geraghty HAS to start. It's that simple. I'd bring in Donegan centre forward if Reilly is out. Give him a proper go. If anyone else suggests starting Charles McCarthy I will shoot them with mind bullets. :o

With Reilly possibly out then Geraghty would then have to start. I was not totally convinced when watching the Galway game that he can last the full 70. In my opinion he would be more effective coming on early in the second half with fresh legs.

I do not agree with you about McCarthy, he has certainly had his bad days but he has done pretty well when coming on in recent games and we need replacements for injured players. I would prefer him to Curran or McLoughlin in the wing forward position.

Jinxy

Quote from: agorm on July 31, 2007, 10:52:40 PM

With Reilly possibly out then Geraghty would then have to start. I was not totally convinced when watching the Galway game that he can last the full 70. In my opinion he would be more effective coming on early in the second half with fresh legs.

I do not agree with you about McCarthy, he has certainly had his bad days but he has done pretty well when coming on in recent games and we need replacements for injured players. I would prefer him to Curran or McLoughlin in the wing forward position.

Well thats one thing we can agree on. ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

new devil

Ive herard theres a strong possibly that gormley wont play  :-[ :'(

Hound

Quote from: Uladh on July 31, 2007, 03:19:41 PM
If Cavanagh is to be regarded as an intercounty midfielder as opposed to a moonlighting wing forward, he has to do the things good midfielders do. he'll have to compete in the air for kickouts (with his eyes open), fight for loose ball when it breaks and track back & make a tackle if Meath win the ball.
Not tracking back is one of his main plays. Means when a move breaks down he's free to take the ball and start a counter-attack (and with him at the heart of it, it almost inevitably leads to a score). With ball-in-hand, there's no question in my mind that Cavanaugh is the best midfielder in the country. However, he wouldnt be anywhere near the top 10 midfielders in the country in terms of fielding high balls in 50/50 situations. 

Over the Bar

Sean Cavanagh or John McDermott / dara o'se / Paul McGrane to win you the game and another alla-ireland??  no contest. Cavanagh has seen the rest off.... lol

orangeman

I hear Gormley is struggling with a back injury - he's usually a man that doesn't complain very much.

snappiered

Is the team going to be announced on Wednesday night? I heard Gormley has a back injury. Any reports on training last night? Dooher? O Neill? Calvo? Any updates? Who likely to come in or out?