Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deal_Me_In

Having only ever seen McCaul at CB, was wondering would he be capable of moving directly into FB? He is a very good footballer but would this be a step too much?

Also is Dooher is unavailable, i think Mickey might put Mulgrew out to no.10 and Tommy at CHF. Mulgrews workrate is as high as anyones and Tommy has the ability to pick out a pass and take a score from distance.

Uladh

If Cavanagh wants tojoin the top table of midfielders in the country, this is the type of game he has to produce in. waiting on the wings for others to win theball for him just won't get i done for Tyrone this week. Tyrone have become accustomed to winning games with a paucity of midfield possession but as the quaity of the opposition increases, that becomes a bigger and bigger handicap.

If Cavanagh is to be regarded as an intercounty midfielder as opposed to a moonlighting wing forward, he has to do the things good midfielders do. he'll have to compete in the air for kickouts (with his eyes open), fight for loose ball when it breaks and track back & make a tackle if Meath win the ball.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on July 31, 2007, 03:07:46 PM
Having only ever seen McCaul at CB, was wondering would he be capable of moving directly into FB? He is a very good footballer but would this be a step too much?

Not sure about FB,  but maybe CHB, with Gormley moving back.

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on July 31, 2007, 03:07:46 PM

Also is Dooher is unavailable, i think Mickey might put Mulgrew out to no.10 and Tommy at CHF. Mulgrews workrate is as high as anyones and Tommy has the ability to pick out a pass and take a score from distance.

This might be a luxury we can ill afford, at least initially, i.e., we may need a little more steel in that particular line initially. I would have Mulgrew in there first-off.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Uladh go and watch a Tyrone game live in person before U come out with such drivel
Sean often fields clean ball but when you have 2 or 3 men targetting your jumps or biting yer shoulder ye tend to get a bit distracted now and then.

Can you for once not let yer bias get the better of ye as the whole country know he's one of the best players in the country

Over the Bar

QuoteIf Cavanagh wants tojoin the top table of midfielders in the country

Having picked up 3 all-stars by the age of 24 I think he already has joined the top table............. ::)

Tyrone Dreamer

Dont get wound up. Uladh knows fine well that Cavanagh can win his own ball in midfield then turn and run half the pitch and score. He has bitter memories from the 05 semi when Armagh were on top.

Uladh

Cavanagh is a great wing forward but has never shown and mental toughness to consistently win hard ball for his team.

why is it that harte frequently moves cavanagh, his tallest player, out of the midfield sector for kickouts?

Sean Cavanagh or John McDermott / dara o'se / Paul McGrane to win you ball in a game to save your life? no contest.

Jinxy

Geraghty HAS to start. It's that simple. I'd bring in Donegan centre forward if Reilly is out. Give him a proper go. If anyone else suggests starting Charles McCarthy I will shoot them with mind bullets. :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

All my appeals to bring back Geraghty could backfire on us on Saturday ! But I hope not - I don't think he will start all the same.

Armamike

Offthebar reckons:
QuoteIf meath manage to upset the odds & progress I want the blood of a meath player under the nails of every man in a Tyrone jersey.......

:D :D :D ffs.  Fight them on the beaches!

That's just, like your opinion man.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think it would be a mistake on Meath's part to start Geraghty, or maybe I don't, or maybe I do, or maybe I don't, or maybe...  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Nonsense Uladh. Glad you mentioned McGrane. 2005 semi final last 10 minutes game in balance - who stood up and one the most possesions in the midfield area? It was Cavanagh. Got at least 3. When Armagh were on top and looked like closing the game out Cavanagh made a brilliant catch turned ran 50 metres and scored. He really did drive Tyrone forward when it mattered most in one of the most important games ever for Tyrone or Armagh. McGrane was very quiet in them crucial moments from what I rememeber so your arguement doesnt hold.

orangeman

Let's beat them with the whole lot of them on !

supersarsfields

Now I wouldn't hear any talk of Carlin at CHB. He's a good defender and can change defence into attack well but the main job of a CHB is to hold that space and cut out the long low balls in. I just don't think Carlin would have the experience for CHB. I would be too scared of him bombing forward as is his want and being caught out of position. Would Hub be an option for CHB? One benifit from having him there would be the distance he would be from the other teams nets!! Should stop him thinking about shooting himself!! ;)

orangeman

Hub would be good enough CHB - He seems to have a very funny kicking action / style ? Carlin is a good defender but I think he's a great corner man  -