Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Saffron sam, you're really reaching there! We'll forgive him for one typo in an article as he is quoting Kernan at the time. :-\
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

saffron sam2

Quote from: mackers on January 08, 2008, 10:39:25 AM
Saffron sam, you're really reaching there! We'll forgive him for one typo in an article as he is quoting Kernan at the time. :-\

Maybe you will, but then you read this.

QuoteTHE GAME HE DREAMT UP

He's the godfather of the modern game. Maybe you didn't look at it or him that way, but it's true.

The blanket defence. The target man (for before Kieran Donaghy there was Ronan Clarke, and before Ronan Clarke there was Gavin Cummiskey with Cross).)

Kernan invented the target man. I have my doubts. I'm trying to think of a target man before Cummiskey - a big beardy fella, from Kerry I think he was. Liston or something like that.

Sugar-coated Donagh called the article, I would go a stage further.

By all means sugar-coat but a journalist should have no problem getting names correct, nor should he make outlandish claims like the one above.

Shannon is one of the best journalists around, but this isn't one of his better pieces.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

Not sure he's conveyed that right. The target man no- the diagonal ball to target men yes.

Two men full forward lines too. Were they utilised as much before Kernan?

mackers

Now we're getting somewhere!!! I knew your anti-Armagh bias would've been a factor!! Look, since Donaghy has come on the scene every journalist in the country has talked about him transforming football, which is balix also, I presume this is his angle on that. The target man has been used the annals of time and Kernan refers to the use of the Bomber in the article.
I am not a fan of Kieran Shannon because of one pro-Armagh article, I said what I thought of him months ago on a separate thread.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Hardy

He's the godfather of the modern game. Maybe you didn't look at it or him that way, but it's true.

The blanket defence. The target man (for before Kieran Donaghy there was Ronan Clarke, and before Ronan Clarke there was Gavin Cummiskey with Cross).

It'd be fascinating to get the horse's mouth insight on this. BC1?

Uladh

Kernan certainly copied elements of the game that he saw as successful in previous eras, and fair play for his homework. nothing is new in our game, it has all been done before and forgotten. in my conscoiusness, some of the elements obviously adopted were: targetman (the bomber), 2 man full forward line (meath), defensive midfielder covering the 6 slot (jack o'se), diagonal passing inside (meath).

brokencrossbar1

Joe is a huge fan of the Meath way of doing things and certainly we took much of our style of play from them.  Uladh is correct in that he took elements of successful teams and tried to blend them together to get a winning formula.  He changed the Cross style to suit the change in the way football was being played but he never waivered from the basic requirements in that you needed strong ball winners down through the core of your team.

The one thig about football on general is that it is constantly evolving and Joe changed our style to suit both the change in the game and the bunch of players.  What he did was not new as such, it just had not been done in such a successful way for a number of years and consequently lazy journalists see it as the new dawn.

Hardy

I always liked Cross's style of play and it took me a while to figure out why I recognised something I liked in it! So when Joe took on Armagh, it was no surprise to find myself admiring them as well.