Call for a United Iberia

Started by Evil Genius, July 18, 2007, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

what info am I missing here?
what part of Ireland and especially northern Ireland is physically connected /attached to england/scotland or wales?

???
::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 24, 2007, 12:41:34 PM
what part of Ireland and especially northern Ireland is physically connected /attached to england/scotland or wales?

???

No part of Ireland, north or south, is physically connected to Great Britain. Just like, e.g. the Isle of Wight. Of the Isle of Arran. Or Anglesey. Or Rathlin.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

EG

As long as you recognise that I, and many others who happen to live in this part of the island, wish to be known as Irish, then I respect your right to call yourself British.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 24, 2007, 12:52:55 PM

???

No part of Ireland, north or south, is physically connected to Great Britain. Just like, e.g. the Isle of Wight. Of the Isle of Arran. Or Anglesey. Or Rathlin.

Fishead_Sam

???

Thats pure silly, there is no way you can compare Ireland to Arran or Anglesey. Thats the attitute that leads to obnoxious terms as the Mainland (which is France, Germany, The Netherlands etc. not Britain). The term British Isles is also obnoxious, I have no problem saying the Islands of Britain & Ireland or even if people adopted the Western Atlantic Isle.

Achill, the Aran Islands, Ratlan etc. are part of Ireland, Angesey, the Hebredies, the Isle of White are part of Britain. Indeed the Channel Islands are just a British administered part of France  :)

ludermor

Fishead_Sam

armaghniac

QuoteBut it makes you and the Scandanavians European in that context.  Whether you identify with that is a different matter

QuoteThe people of e.g. Denmark are members of the EU. That makes them European. The people of the ROI are also EU Members and so European also. However, they are not Danish.

"European" is a larger definition than Ireland, Denmark or Scandinavia, so of course we are all European in the general sense and EU citizens in specific sense. Of course I identify with Europe, but the only subset of Europe I identify strongly with is Ireland, the one I live in (apart from a liking for Italian cooking and women!). The vast majority of people identify with the place they live in.

The UK is a larger definition than NI, Scotland or Britain. It may be easier to say British than UKish, but is not accurate. The emphasis on the use of term British by people in NI, which is not part of Britain, rather than emphasis on the UK, which NI is part of, says a lot. Why on earth would people, even those who support the union, emphasise the identify of the place they are united with rather than their own?.

The answer of course is that almost the only people who support the Union in NI are those who consider themselves racially or ethnically British.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 24, 2007, 01:03:04 PM
EG

As long as you recognise that I, and many others who happen to live in this part of the island, wish to be known as Irish, then I respect your right to call yourself British.

No problem with that whatever. Have you any advice as to what's to be done with the rest of the f**kers on this Board who withhold similar respect?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 24, 2007, 01:11:36 PM
Thats pure silly, there is no way you can compare Ireland to Arran or Anglesey. Thats the attitute that leads to obnoxious terms as the Mainland (which is France, Germany, The Netherlands etc. not Britain). The term British Isles is also obnoxious, I have no problem saying the Islands of Britain & Ireland or even if people adopted the Western Atlantic Isle.

Achill, the Aran Islands, Ratlan etc. are part of Ireland, Angesey, the Hebredies, the Isle of White are part of Britain. Indeed the Channel Islands are just a British administered part of France  :)

Fine. But if ever a majority of the five million Scots (or of the three miilion Welsh) should ever decide that they require their independence from the UK, will you tell them that they may not, since they must geographically be part of "Britain"?

As practice for your new diplomatic career, perhaps you might start with the (only slightly) lesser task of informing the people of Les Isles de la Manche that they really are, in fact, French. (Though I think it better if you weren't to mention those four and a half years of their history when they were German, since they get a little touchy about it. You know, as the Frogs do...)

Then when you've put those peoples right, you'll be well fit to tell the Portuguese that they have no right to strike out from a United Iberia.

Then that will be this thread sorted.  :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 24, 2007, 03:46:14 PM
EG

No problem with that whatever. Have you any advice as to what's to be done with the rest of the f**kers on this Board who withhold similar respect?

EG dont be jumping to conclusions, I respect your right to call yourself British.
I also respect my right to think thats bollox and you arent British, but by all means call yourself it  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Pietas

???

Or the Falkland Islands, though the people there regard themselves as British.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 24, 2007, 03:57:13 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 24, 2007, 03:46:14 PM
EG

EG dont be jumping to conclusions, I respect your right to call yourself British.
I also respect my right to think thats bollox and you arent British, but by all means call yourself it  ;)

First, I was asking FAM for his opinion.

Second, you are jumping to the conclusion by assuming that I had you in mind as one of "the f**kers who..."; though if the cap fits, and all that.

Third, thank you for according me a right which you have no right to withhold.

P.S. I don't just "call" myself British, I am British, in exactly the same way as I don't just call myself Irish, but am indubitably so!
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Pietas on July 24, 2007, 03:59:58 PM

???

Or the Falkland Islands, though the people there regard themselves as British.

Gibraltar is another one. Mind you, like the Falklands, you don't want to go messing around with the Brits in either, otherwise you risk meeting a rather sudden end... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 24, 2007, 04:04:16 PM
[First, I was asking FAM for his opinion.

Sincere apologies for giving my tuppence worth on a public forum, I didnt realise this was a private discussion  ::)

Second, you are jumping to the conclusion by assuming that I had you in mind as one of "the f**kers who..."; though if the cap fits, and all that.
EG, its quite simple in what you meant, you were cleverly lumping everyone who opposes British rule in Northern Ireland as the same people who would (as if they could) deny you the right to call yourself British.
If you were referring to someone in particular why not name them?
Otherwise stop being a smart arse.

Third, thank you for according me a right which you have no right to withhold.

Again with the smart arseness.
I didnt say I was "according" you the right, you can call yourself whatever you want as far as I am concerned.
I merely said I respect your right to call yourself British.
How you can find a point to argue on that statement alone says a lot about your intentions.

P.S. I don't just "call" myself British, I am British, in exactly the same way as I don't just call myself Irish, but am indubitably so!

You actually felt the need to point that out as if you havent said it a million times before?  :o
Ask me holy bollix