Call for a United Iberia

Started by Evil Genius, July 18, 2007, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

People blame Michal Collins, Higgins, Cumman NaGael(Fine Gael) for partition but it was a warmongering threat by Winston the orgional Kurd airborn gas attack Churchill who threatened to burn every town, village, Catholic, Protestant, Irishman or other to the ground if we did not accept. Chruchill promised us the Serbian Militia style attrocities on us all including the Ulster Unionists if we did not accept. If we had the OLD IRA (Not the 1970s-2000s Nazis) might be lead by Reverend Ian Paisly @ the moment.

Oraisteach

J70, your call for a free and open debate with Gaelteacht is commendable, but it presupposes that he/she is interested in such an exchange, which, unfortunately, is not the case.  It is an exercise, as the old joke goes, that incorporates flagellation and necrophilia—i.e. beating a dead horse.  He doesn't give two spits of butterfly's pee about the merits of such a political or cultural crosstalk—instead, he favours crossfire.  In fact, as he has acknowledged occasionally in the past, he relishes winding people up and sitting back to see what ensues, doing so typically behind the pretense of reasoned discourse.  This may be okay in the ebb-and-flow of a discussion about the merits of Ulster football, but on topics of a more serious tenor such as terrorism, this is simply repugnant.  Earlier in this very thread, he denounces hypocrites who "play the man"; ironically, in the realm of political dialogue, he plays more men than Paris Hilton., so I have little interest in debating him because he is fundamentally dishonest.  As I have said many times before, some on here of a Unionist tradition are people of good faith whose views I respect, not the G-string, however.  (By the way, total non sequitur, J70, do you know if the Armagh-Donegal Rackard Cup game is being carried on Highland Radio?  Soon, I'll be cheering for the Armagh Road Bowls team, I fear.)

What the future holds for the North, I don't know, but I believe that some class of united Ireland is probably going to happen.  I am heartened to read Evil Genius describe himself as an "Irish Unionist" because this is a subtle sign of what may eventually come to pass.  In using this term, he is conceding that he is Irish, which of course all Ulster unionists are.  This is a big step because not too long ago unionists would have been loath to equate themselves with Ireland.  Soon, as the filament linking the Six Counties to Britain frays even more and Britain perches eagerly, scissors in hand, ready to snip the last connection, Evil Genius and others like him will, I think, see themselves simply as Irish, Irish of a unionist tradition/background of course, but Irish nonetheless, and with the Republic's government apparently willing to bankroll the Northern infrastructure, can unity be that far behind?  Will economic necessity make the undemocratic division moot, especially with the stalwarts of Ulster capitalism investing in southern industry?  Probably. 

However, a caveat, before Nationalists dance a sixteen-hand reel around the smoldering embers of an Eleventh Night bonfire, I have a concern, one that has been expressed on this board before.  Having just read David McWilliams book The Pope's Children, and seeing how Americanized and worldly the twenty-six counties have seemingly become, I can't imagine increasingly apolitical and material southerners wanting a family reunion with their unruly relatives to the north.  In fact, now that all the impediments to a United Ireland have been erased, constitutionally and religiously, and that there is no chance in hell that Home Rule will be Rome Rule, fundamentalist northern Protestants ought to be embracing their Catholic neighbours at the encroaching shadow of the Satanic secular South.  Maybe the North will become like the southern states of the U.S., where Catholics, once preferred dangling from a tree, will become soldiers in the army of God against Lucifer the Leprechaun, despite Benedict's shot across the boughs of creeping ecumenism.  And maybe our national anthem will not be "Amhran na bhFiann" or "Danny Boy" or "Ireland's Call" but Pink Floyd's "Money."

lynchbhoy

oraisteach

kudos and flieppn fantastic  comendations to ya

fair fcuks to ya

GweylTah

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 21, 2007, 01:41:01 AM
J70, your call for a free and open debate with Gaelteacht is commendable, but it presupposes that he/she is interested in such an exchange, which, unfortunately, is not the case.  It is an exercise, as the old joke goes, that incorporates flagellation and necrophilia—i.e. beating a dead horse.  He doesn't give two spits of butterfly's pee about the merits of such a political or cultural crosstalk—instead, he favours crossfire.  In fact, as he has acknowledged occasionally in the past, he relishes winding people up and sitting back to see what ensues, doing so typically behind the pretense of reasoned discourse.  This may be okay in the ebb-and-flow of a discussion about the merits of Ulster football, but on topics of a more serious tenor such as terrorism, this is simply repugnant.  Earlier in this very thread, he denounces hypocrites who "play the man"; ironically, in the realm of political dialogue, he plays more men than Paris Hilton., so I have little interest in debating him because he is fundamentally dishonest.  As I have said many times before, some on here of a Unionist tradition are people of good faith whose views I respect, not the G-string, however.  (By the way, total non sequitur, J70, do you know if the Armagh-Donegal Rackard Cup game is being carried on Highland Radio?  Soon, I'll be cheering for the Armagh Road Bowls team, I fear.)

What the future holds for the North, I don't know, but I believe that some class of united Ireland is probably going to happen.  I am heartened to read Evil Genius describe himself as an "Irish Unionist" because this is a subtle sign of what may eventually come to pass.  In using this term, he is conceding that he is Irish, which of course all Ulster unionists are.  This is a big step because not too long ago unionists would have been loath to equate themselves with Ireland.  Soon, as the filament linking the Six Counties to Britain frays even more and Britain perches eagerly, scissors in hand, ready to snip the last connection, Evil Genius and others like him will, I think, see themselves simply as Irish, Irish of a unionist tradition/background of course, but Irish nonetheless, and with the Republic's government apparently willing to bankroll the Northern infrastructure, can unity be that far behind?  Will economic necessity make the undemocratic division moot, especially with the stalwarts of Ulster capitalism investing in southern industry?  Probably. 

However, a caveat, before Nationalists dance a sixteen-hand reel around the smoldering embers of an Eleventh Night bonfire, I have a concern, one that has been expressed on this board before.  Having just read David McWilliams book The Pope's Children, and seeing how Americanized and worldly the twenty-six counties have seemingly become, I can't imagine increasingly apolitical and material southerners wanting a family reunion with their unruly relatives to the north.  In fact, now that all the impediments to a United Ireland have been erased, constitutionally and religiously, and that there is no chance in hell that Home Rule will be Rome Rule, fundamentalist northern Protestants ought to be embracing their Catholic neighbours at the encroaching shadow of the Satanic secular South.  Maybe the North will become like the southern states of the U.S., where Catholics, once preferred dangling from a tree, will become soldiers in the army of God against Lucifer the Leprechaun, despite Benedict's shot across the boughs of creeping ecumenism.  And maybe our national anthem will not be "Amhran na bhFiann" or "Danny Boy" or "Ireland's Call" but Pink Floyd's "Money."

Pretentious?  Toi?

::)

Oraisteach

Contentious? Twat?

his holiness nb

Quote from: J70 on July 20, 2007, 07:44:16 PM

What are you saying? That you can't refute what he says, or that he initiates the personal attacks?

J70, I have refuted his points several times, but some of his posts are so stupid that its really not worth replying to.
He is obviously here totally to wind people up, read through his posts.
Why people get on their high horses when I point this out amazes me.
Ask me holy bollix

GweylTah

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 21, 2007, 07:42:25 PM
Contentious? Twat?

When you cut-away the tedious, meandering drivel you populate these boards with, not a lot left is there at all is there. No surprise - the mark of the charlatan.

;D

his holiness nb

Another reason why he isnt worth debating with.
he sees fit to reply to a post which pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Did he counter argue the points like he would like us to do?
Did he f**k!
Ask me holy bollix

GweylTah

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 23, 2007, 12:03:30 PM
Another reason why he isnt worth debating with.
he sees fit to reply to a post which pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Did he counter argue the points like he would like us to do?
Did he f**k!

???

Evil Genius

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 21, 2007, 01:41:01 AM
I am heartened to read Evil Genius describe himself as an "Irish Unionist" because this is a subtle sign of what may eventually come to pass.  In using this term, he is conceding that he is Irish, which of course all Ulster unionists are.  This is a big step because not too long ago unionists would have been loath to equate themselves with Ireland.  Soon, as the filament linking the Six Counties to Britain frays even more and Britain perches eagerly, scissors in hand, ready to snip the last connection, Evil Genius and others like him will, I think, see themselves simply as Irish, Irish of a unionist tradition/background of course, but Irish nonetheless, and with the Republic's government apparently willing to bankroll the Northern infrastructure, can unity be that far behind?  Will economic necessity make the undemocratic division moot, especially with the stalwarts of Ulster capitalism investing in southern industry?  Probably. 

I, for one, do not consider my proclaiming my Irishness to be a "concession" - it's obvious from the moment I open my mouth that I'm Irish!

However, that doesn't mean I can't also be British, in the same way as Scots, Welsh and English can also be British; after all, that is what the concept of a "Union" is all about.

As for my being subsumed in some sort of "united Ireland", that is so far off (imo) that I'm more concerned in the meantime about those of my fellow Irishmen and women of a Nationalist persuasion, who will not concede my right also to be British...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fishead_Sam

I'm just wondering how many of the Irish Ulster Unionists would be alot more open to a United Ireland if the Republic was the exact same as it is & still firmly a pro-European Republic but the predominant Religion was Protestantism (in its many forms) rather than Catholic or Nominaly Catholic?

Oraisteach

G-Man, someone reading your posts for the first time might feel the urge to pat you on the back and applaud you for your seriousness and moral spine as you assert unequivocally on the shooting of the PSNI officer: "For the record, I would have a consistent attitude to those who have attacked police officers North and South or in Great Britain before, during or after The Troubles: they are scum and should experience the full rigours of the law."  Who could not be persuaded by such moral decency and celebrate the fact that we have citizens of such righteousness in our midst?

That is, of course, until they read other posts of yours.  For example, in an earlier "Shoot to Kill" thread begun by Donagh, you have no problem whatsoever with a civilian police force assuming the role of judge, jury and executioner, even when they have the opportunity to detain people they suspect of being involved in illegal activities.  And further, you express no moral outrage that the disinterested impartial Stalker investigation of this policy was squashed.  So, on the one hand, in your estimation, while it is wrong to kill policemen (a reasonable view), it is nevertheless okay for policemen to kill civilians, even when they have the occasion to arrest them and are in no danger themselves (a thoroughly unreasonable view).

And furthermore, lest anyone be unclear about your attitude to GAAboard contributors, you write about another poster, "if I wind-up light-weight sheep like you with my occasional posts here, that's a bonus."

I'll say it again.  You pretend goodness while often defending the indefensible, and you like to bait people into arguments.  Not very redeeming character traits, I'd say.

armaghniac

Quotein the same way as Scots, Welsh and English can also be British;

These people are from Britain, they are British, end of story. NI is not part of Britain, it is in union with Britain . Swedes and Danes are Scandinavians, Ireland is union in the EU with these people, but that doesn't make me a Scandinavian.

QuoteI'm just wondering how many of the Irish Ulster Unionists would be alot more open to a United Ireland if the Republic was the exact same as it is & still firmly a pro-European Republic but the predominant Religion was Protestantism (in its many forms) rather than Catholic or Nominaly Catholic?

Very few. They oppose things Irish because they are Irish not because of what they are.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Chrisowc

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2007, 11:55:33 AM

These people are from Britain, they are British, end of story. NI is not part of Britain, it is in union with Britain . Swedes and Danes are Scandinavians, Ireland is union in the EU with these people, but that doesn't make me a Scandinavian.

But it makes you and the Scandanavians European in that context.  Whether you identify with that is a different matter.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2007, 11:55:33 AM

NI is part of the UK, the same as England, Scotland and Wales. Like their peoples, I am British (so much easier than "United Kingdomish", don't you think?). However, I am not consequently English, Scottish or Welsh.

The people of e.g. Denmark are members of the EU. That makes them European. The people of the ROI are also EU Members and so European also. However, they are not Danish.

As a Briton, I too am European. Or is that not possible by your reasoning?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"