Pat Spillane a disgrace at the way he treated Tohill

Started by Louper, July 17, 2007, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Agree there Brolly can be a tool as well and courts controversy but brolly at least ahs a way with words and has some rare moments.
moloney all the way for host. best man in rte for gaa in that role
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

orangeman

Des Cahill is a good presenter as well - he'd get my vote.

Louper

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 17, 2007, 01:45:35 PM
Louper - you would have seen that the Derry Mayo match had been dealt with on the Saturday Game already and had been shown highlights of after the Dublin match...

There is obviously not too much interest even in Derry when you only bring about 750 to Clones to play Armagh...

dub i was at that armagh game and the mayo one and had to run straight back out the door to trainin so i did not see the saturday game. ys ure rite they did show detailed highlights but i still think it was downright bad mannered and arrogant of spillane to do that on live tv.

theres no point in tryin sly digs at me about the derry support, ive been to all the matches so i can be happy and content with my contribution. do u fancy dublin this year? 6-1 before the laois match would have been worth a nice wee wager.

lynchbhoy

Louper - you would have seen that the Derry Mayo match had been dealt with on the Saturday Game already and had been shown highlights of after the Dublin match...

There is obviously not too much interest even in Derry when you only bring about 750 to Clones to play Armagh...

I struggle to see the relevance of your comments above

if spillane was able to discuss mayo, surely Derry (esp having won the game) would have been allowed more than just a mention?

but what is your point regarding the amount of people who go watch Derry in action and any corrolation with the topics pat spillane allows/denies in the sunday game discussions

please clarify this , as unlike yourself I am obv missing the logic.... ::)

catchandkick

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2007, 02:32:44 PM
If I was boss of RTE Tohill would be the host and Spillane wouldnt even get to carry the coffee in.  Tohill is and has always been a gentleman on the show ,when all around him are in a race to be controversial Tohill is articulate and balanced.

Ah come on, that would show would be as bland as rice cakes!

Spillane isnt the worst lads, he's entertaining anyway ' thats a lovely suit you've got on Pete Finnerty', 'you've a lot of hair gel on tonight Bernard Flynn'. His presentation isnt perfect but he's improved a lot, think he's doing a very good job these days. Cant see any of the present analysts doing a better job as presenter- Anthony Daly perhaps?

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Louper on July 17, 2007, 01:33:41 PM
Did anyone else not think it was disgraceful the way Spillane completely cut Tohill off when he tried to talk about Derry. i think derry would have to win an AI before they would be given any time. all spillane wanted to do was talk about "what now for mayo" personally i thought it was a disgrace and altho tohill asked him "am i not going to get a chance to talk about derry?" where spillane answred "there'll be plenty of time to talk about derry" i wouldnt have blamed tohill for getting up and walking out. what more do derry need to do to even get 2 minutes of talking time on the southern sunday game?

I don't think he was doing it to be rude to Tohill, he just loves having a go @ Mayo, so Derry beating us must have been a wet-dream for him, Mayo abuse time Yea.

catchandkick

If Derry beating Mayo was a wet dream what was Kerry annihilating them in 04 and 06 ? ;D

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2007, 02:49:01 PM
Look, it's completely obvious that Darragh Maloney should be hosting the Sunday Game. Only man for the job.

You're stuck with him until 2011 at least. Spillane has just signed a new three-year deal as host of the Sunday Game.

Kerry Mike

...at least that will keep him away from the Kerry managers job until 2011 at least.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Louper

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 17, 2007, 04:29:01 PM
...at least that will keep him away from the Kerry managers job until 2011 at least.

:D

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Louper on July 17, 2007, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 17, 2007, 04:29:01 PM

:D

I wonder will he play Puke Football as Kerry Manager  :)

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Louper on July 17, 2007, 03:44:26 PM

dub i was at that armagh game and the mayo one and had to run straight back out the door to trainin so i did not see the saturday game. ys ure rite they did show detailed highlights but i still think it was downright bad mannered and arrogant of spillane to do that on live tv.

theres no point in tryin sly digs at me about the derry support, ive been to all the matches so i can be happy and content with my contribution. do u fancy dublin this year? 6-1 before the laois match would have been worth a nice wee wager.

Louper - i was at the Antrim and Armagh games myself - missed Monaghan due to Dublin match and Mayo due to playing in Limerick at the weekend....off to Breffni next Sat for the match...a few nice pints in Cavan town are called for I think...

6-1 would have been good odds...still reckon we are third favourites based on we haven't won it in a long time and Kerry/Tyrone have but still seen enough this year in both teams to see they are beatable...in fact I would go so far as to say if Darragh O'Se gets injured or Ciaran Gormley does for Tyrone I would bet on us to beat either then...beating both as we are likely to have to do is going to be tough though....though would like to see Cork play Tyrone...

Lynchboy - There was supposed to be a smiley after the comment....My point was that in terms of a discussion point that Mayo being knocked out early after making the final last year and the effect it would have on them would be a more popular discussion point than talking about Derry again after Saturdays game...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 17, 2007, 05:06:39 PM
Lynchboy - There was supposed to be a smiley after the comment....My point was that in terms of a discussion point that Mayo being knocked out early after making the final last year and the effect it would have on them would be a more popular discussion point than talking about Derry again after Saturdays game...
while I'd agree that there was and will be more opportunity to discuss Derry for at least one more game,
I think smiley or no smiley it was a bit sad and a bit of a sly dig to incorporate a mention of Derry's rubbish number of supporters.
There was no need for it, and however embarrassing the lack of attendees we may have (quality more than quantity I like to think) - there was no justification or connection in bringing this into the discussion.
It bore no relevance in the contect of the point and even as a 'joke' was out of place.

I know you go to Derry games as you have the good fortune to be partnered up to a Derry lady - but even then I would not go along with your opinion and perception of games (as much as I know and expect you dont agree with mine).

But the forgiving folk that we are, we wont hold this against you ...

Fuzzman

Not if we burn him out of RTE first and drag his name thru the mud

I think if you make yer bed in the contoversial media field then you must be prepared to take the flak
And we are all making it far too easy for him

Remember in 2005 he wouldnt come down for his day out with leading Kerrymen or something when Tyrone were in the Final

DUBSFORSAM1

Fair enough - if I offended anyone I apologise!!

You have to admit though Lynchboy since they started playing more direct forward orientated football against Armagh/Mayo they have looked a better team....