Born in the Wrong Place

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 13, 2007, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Martin Breheny has an astonishing piece in today's Independent about a player who, if he "was from Kerry, he'd be a multiple All-Ireland winner after a dozen years at centre-stage."

The role accidents of birth can have in a particular man's career are hardly news. But what I found astonishing was who the particular player Breheny chose is, and what county he's from. I'm not posting the link so we can all guess. I'll give you a hint - it's not Sligo's Eamon O'Hara, or that Leitrim boy that played so well for them at full-back, or Dermot McCabe of Cavan, or the recently retired Declan Browne, or Kildare's Johnny Doyle, or Offaly's Ciarán McManus or Wexford's Mattie Ford or anyone from Antrim or Clare or Carlow or Roscommon, the constant heart of Ireland. Go have a guess.

The Independent ought to be ashamed of themselves. It's an insult to the vast majority of county players who know that only one team can ever win the All-Ireland but go out anyway for the honour of wearing the county colours, and without whom there is no Championship. Shame, shame, shame.

Gabriel_Hurl

And the player they picked ?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

magpie seanie

I have no idea but I'll guess - Jason Sherlock?

Romeo

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 13, 2007, 02:06:36 PM
Martin Breheny has an astonishing piece in today's Independent about a player who, if he "was from Kerry, he'd be a multiple All-Ireland winner after a dozen years at centre-stage."

The role accidents of birth can have in a particular man's career are hardly news. But what I found astonishing was who the particular player Breheny chose is, and what county he's from. I'm not posting the link so we can all guess. I'll give you a hint - it's not Sligo's Eamon O'Hara, or that Leitrim boy that played so well for them at full-back, or Dermot McCabe of Cavan, or the recently retired Declan Browne, or Kildare's Johnny Doyle, or Offaly's Ciarán McManus or Wexford's Mattie Ford or anyone from Antrim or Clare or Carlow or Roscommon, the constant heart of Ireland. Go have a guess.

The Independent ought to be ashamed of themselves. It's an insult to the vast majority of county players who know that only one team can ever win the All-Ireland but go out anyway for the honour of wearing the county colours, and without whom there is no Championship. Shame, shame, shame.

FFS, talk about going out of your way to be offended!  ::)

It was a fair comparison between 2 players of the same age, playing the same position, over the same period. Don't try and sensationalise it to any mor ethan that.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

magpie seanie

Just checked it. He was the other one I thought of when your indignation led me to think it might be a Dub.

Didn't read the article but being born in Dublin would be viewed as a misfortune by a lot of GAA folk!!!! (puts on asbestos jacket as he heads for bomb shelter).

magpie seanie

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2007, 02:19:24 PM
Just checked it. He was the other one I thought of when your indignation led me to think it might be a Dub.

Didn't read the article but being born in Dublin would be viewed as a misfortune by a lot of GAA folk!!!! (puts on asbestos jacket as he heads for bomb shelter).

I think this more accurate  ;D

An Gaeilgoir

If the player in question stayed out of the pubs around Raheny during the league, he might have some chance of winning the All-Ireland. :D

IolarCoisCuain

It's Dublin's Ciarán "Whelo" Whelan.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/born-in-the-wrong-place-996929.html

If Romeo and anyone else who thinks that playing for Dublin puts a man at a disadvantage when it comes to winning medals can PM me, I think I may be able to interest them in a tower property in Paris, France, that will look really well in their portfolios. The vendor is a hurry to sell so you fellas can get a really good deal here.  ;)

the Deel Rover

do i win a prize , if i was born in dublin i would get one ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Romeo

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 13, 2007, 02:26:52 PM
It's Dublin's Ciarán "Whelo" Whelan.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/born-in-the-wrong-place-996929.html

If Romeo and anyone else who thinks that playing for Dublin puts a man at a disadvantage when it comes to winning medals can PM me, I think I may be able to interest them in a tower property in Paris, France, that will look really well in their portfolios. The vendor is a hurry to sell so you fellas can get a really good deal here.  ;)

Don't think that at all, don't think the article is insulting anyone that's all! But maybe I'm just not so sensitive!

bingobus

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 13, 2007, 02:32:51 PM
do i win a prize , if i was born in dublin i would get one ;)

You wouldn't a prize but you'd prob get a squad place at the very least!!