How to overcome match day nerves?

Started by jonnybhoy82, July 10, 2007, 12:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnybhoy82

Many lads there suffer from nerves on the day of big games?
Whatever level that may be? Important club game/ county championship game/ all ireland series.. whatever

Get a knot in yer stomach, you dont seem to be able to think as straight as normal and yer legs dont seem to move as well as they normally do as if something is preventing them?
This happens me regularly and prevents carrying form from day in day out club games where there is no pressure to must win crucial games and club championship games

Note there would only ever be a maximum of 1 or 2 hundred people watching

Anyone know how to overcome this?
How do county players overcome it in front of 60-80000 people and the media?

im now mid 20's and this has been happening since I was about 18, so experience doesnt seem to be shaking it

SLIGONIAN

Usually nerves go when the ball is thrown in for most players.
Is it nerves from fear of loss or your performance? LIke if your confident in your own ability and know your fit you should be calmer. its only when I know im out of my depth that I get nervous or when my opponent has the better of me.

Confidence and belief in your ability should subside the nerves. Nerves is a emotional reaction to all the doubts and worry in your head i think. Cure maybe doubt your doubts and stop worrying.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: jonnybhoy82 on July 10, 2007, 12:46:28 PM
Many lads there suffer from nerves on the day of big games?
Whatever level that may be? Important club game/ county championship game/ all ireland series.. whatever

Get a knot in yer stomach, you dont seem to be able to think as straight as normal and yer legs dont seem to move as well as they normally do as if something is preventing them?
This happens me regularly and prevents carrying form from day in day out club games where there is no pressure to must win crucial games and club championship games

Note there would only ever be a maximum of 1 or 2 hundred people watching

Anyone know how to overcome this?
How do county players overcome it in front of 60-80000 people and the media?

im now mid 20's and this has been happening since I was about 18, so experience doesnt seem to be shaking it

Big match coming up Jonnybhoy??
Just focus on the game, don't think about the crowd, just remember that most of them are sitting there watching because they are not able to/good enough to be playing themselves.
Tbc....

GalwayBayBoy

I used to play with a fella who believed self-relief before a game was the best antidote to nerves. ;D

Then of course there are the serial vomiters.

Or you could just smoke a fag Johnny Pilkington style.

Jinxy

Get someone to bitch-slap you across the face. You'll be too angry to be nervous.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

QuoteJust focus on the game, don't think about the crowd, just remember that most of them are sitting there watching because they are not able to/good enough to be playing themselves.

That's a very good point. I wasn't a brillaint player when I was younger but I did let myself down on several big days due to heaping too much pressure on myself and worrying about what other people thought of my performances. I should have played more top level football than I did but I often psyched myself out and underperformed. Wasted energy and focus on the wrong things. Now, in my 30's, I can see this. As Gaoth Dobhair says you have to strip away everythnig and divert your focus on important things. The crowd are unimportant. The game is just another game. Consequences of winning/losing will occur regardless - you cannot alter them. You have the talent and ability. Just focus on the game, the next ball and this increases your chances of a positive outcome.

the Deel Rover

ye just have faith in your own ability if you weren't good enough you wouldn't be picked so pretend its a training session and go out and enjoy the game of football afterall that what its all about.I was a serial puker myself there were a few of us ,we formed the serial pukers anononomous (spl) ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

illdecide

everyone gets the butterflys in the stomach and a bit nervour b4 a big game, if you didn't then your prob not up for the match. Doing the warm up your legs feel like lead and your saying to yourself "f**k me, how am i gonna get thru this". But 2 or 3 lung busting runs at the start of the game will soon give you your second wind and then just let the rest happen, if your still heavy legged after that then your not fit my boyo.

don't forget the proper food b4 the game, and minge doesn't count ;) :D. are you well hydrated, 3-4 litres of water in you all day
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

believebelive

The best things to do for nerves b4 a big game is to focus on only the things that you can control. i.e - you cannot control the crowd so dont worry about it. You cannot control how well the other players on your team will play so dont worry about it. Just concentrate on your own performance and make sure to think positive. Recall matches when you have played well and try and remember what you did in those games that meant you played well.
Don't think about the big picture or the impotance of the occassion simpy concentrate on the things that you do well and go out and do them. Its all in the head   ;)

cavanmaniac

Former Liverpool hard nut Julian Dicks' gospel of match preparation:

"A can of coke, a Mars bar and two Silk Cut Purple."

I shit you not. ::)

Snooker player Paul Hunter (RIP) famously had a few ground-breaking ideas for settling his nerves during big games as well. Which basically amounted to having it away with his mott during the mid-session intervals. Whatever does the job I say :D

Jinxy

Imagine everyone in the crowd is naked.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

jonnybhoy82

Thanks for the advice so far lads

Ive heard many times thats nerves dissappear after the first ball or after doing one or two positive things but not me

the butterflys/ knot in the stomach last for the full hour and legs feel like lead for the full hour, always difficult to get a breath even though Im pretty fit in normal games - nothing seems to get rid of these things except the final whistle

Im a decent player and do have confidence in my own ability. I know I am usually in the top 5/ 6 players on the field in most games  I play, I just always seem to let myself down on the big day and I think its stopping me playing at a higher level... all down to nerves

Any good books on the subject?

brokencrossbar1

I find a  pre-match routine is a good way to get ready for a game.  Do something the day before/day of the match to keep your mind active and away from the game.  I usually do something like cutting the garden or DIY, some people head off for a game of golf or snooker with the team mates. 

Don't talk to supporters about the game, only players.  Supporters have good intentions but feel the need to tell you how well you will play etc and for me that put me under severe pressure.

On the day of the game simple things like eating at the same time before each game, packing your bag at the same time, cleaning your boots all make it easier to focus on what you need to think about.

I always have a bit of how's your father two nights before a game but never the night before. ;D

The big thing is to keep away from people who talk too much about the game.

Armamike

Hypnotism. If you're a forward get the hypnotist to tell you you're Colm Cooper.
That's just, like your opinion man.

illdecide

Maybe your not any good and your out of your depth?? and you think you can hold your own but really you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself. and you are a stone overweight so that does not help
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch