How to overcome match day nerves?

Started by jonnybhoy82, July 10, 2007, 12:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

When travelling to an away game ye should stick on a few tunes in the car, have the craic with the lads in car and in the dressing room that will have you nice and relaxed. I `love games on the big day when there are a few hundred at the game, its a great buzz and a great feelling to score a point or hit a good shoulder. You should be confident in your ability and dont hide, get a touch of the ball as early as possible and once you do that you are up and running!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: jonnybhoy82 on July 10, 2007, 01:45:42 PM
Thanks for the advice so far lads

Ive heard many times thats nerves dissappear after the first ball or after doing one or two positive things but not me

the butterflys/ knot in the stomach last for the full hour and legs feel like lead for the full hour, always difficult to get a breath even though Im pretty fit in normal games - nothing seems to get rid of these things except the final whistle

Im a decent player and do have confidence in my own ability. I know I am usually in the top 5/ 6 players on the field in most games  I play, I just always seem to let myself down on the big day and I think its stopping me playing at a higher level... all down to nerves

Any good books on the subject?

if you have a friend on the team, get them to come over and do a few things before the game like punching you in the stomach, roaring into your ear and face
then maybe try to run a bit to blow out the nerves and tire yourself out a bit.

Your problem is psychological.
If you can get the subconscious thoughts of fear out of your head (fear of playing badly I would suspect)
then you will prob be alright as some other emotion/thought occupies your head.
You could be one of these lads who responds to injustice from a ref, or responds well to getting a slap - by channelling your aggression into playing well
but until you get this, you dont get into the game.

I know of a guy who said he used to slyly slap his own midfield team mate when the midfielders were contesting a ball, blame it on one of the opponents and the team mate would only then get going.
The lad apparantly played sihte if he wasnt hit/fired up.

Dont know who you would go to, but I'd suggest a sports psychologist. Club or county could surely provide a few names.,

Spiritof98

Do you play for us! ;)

Agree with a lot of the above, 1 thing to add, it sound like you might be a free taker, if so go to the pitch on you own and get regular practice, pit yourself various challanges and develop a routine, if your not a freetaker, up your intensity in training to full pelt match pace, try and mark the best defenders/forwards always to improve yourself.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

pintsofguinness

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 10, 2007, 01:51:49 PM
I find a  pre-match routine is a good way to get ready for a game.  Do something the day before/day of the match to keep your mind active and away from the game.  I usually do something like cutting the garden or DIY, some people head off for a game of golf or snooker with the team mates. 

Don't talk to supporters about the game, only players.  Supporters have good intentions but feel the need to tell you how well you will play etc and for me that put me under severe pressure.

On the day of the game simple things like eating at the same time before each game, packing your bag at the same time, cleaning your boots all make it easier to focus on what you need to think about.

I always have a bit of how's your father two nights before a game but never the night before. ;D

The big thing is to keep away from people who talk too much about the game.
Just don't eat as much as him  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AbbeySider

Quote from: jonnybhoy82 on July 10, 2007, 01:45:42 PM
Thanks for the advice so far lads
Ive heard many times thats nerves dissappear after the first ball or after doing one or two positive things but not me
the butterflys/ knot in the stomach last for the full hour and legs feel like lead for the full hour, always difficult to get a breath even though Im pretty fit in normal games - nothing seems to get rid of these things except the final whistle
Im a decent player and do have confidence in my own ability. I know I am usually in the top 5/ 6 players on the field in most games  I play, I just always seem to let myself down on the big day and I think its stopping me playing at a higher level... all down to nerves
Any good books on the subject?

I suffered a lot with nerves and it destroyed my underage career because it effected my confidence in a big way. Only lately am I able to overcome them but I have a strange attitude to it.

In the warmup and in the dressing room I start to focus and concentrate on my own game. I then work on getting the temper and blood up. I really try and get the blood up. When the ball is just after thrown in I run by bollix off for whe first while. I try and get a touch as early as possible.
If I feel im not in the game and its early I ususlly tackle someone really really hard because once you get a hit in, take a hit or get on the ball your in the game. Focus and concentration and getting the blood usually get rid of my nerves. Hating my marker makes you forget nerves too.

I dont mean to sound like a psycho or dirty player (because im not) but the above is working for me lately.

Oh before I forget. If you feel the jelly legs coming on thanks to nerves it is possible to run it off. So run hard for the first while and focus. It works for me.

brokencrossbar1

As you would say Pints, I am just big boned! ;D

flairgun

I think Visualization is the best thing to calm yourself.
It helps you get focused on the game and gets your head in the right place.
Just picture yourself doing simple things right during the game.
Getting out in front of the man, laying off a good pass to a free man, blocking, fielding, whatever.
You don't have to imagine a 60 yard solo followed by lashing over the winner from the sideline, because that won't help you as you know it's not likely to happen.
Focus on the things you know you're capable of doing and picture yourself doing them right over and over again until it feels like second nature.
Good performances are built on all the simple things being done right, if you concentrate on these things before the game, you're less likely to fumble the first ball that comes your way.

Maximus Marillius

Being nervous is a normal thing...so, in that changing room before a big game...everyone feels the same as you...you are not alone in feeling like this.  it is important to mentally prepare for the game...know that you are going to be nervous...it is your body getting ready for a physically big effort...visualise in your mind what will happen and plan what strategies in mind that you will do combat the feeling you have which is the same as all around you. When the game starts or in the warm up know that you will feel out of breath, weak...again this is normal...the man you are playing against is feeling the same...make sure to have done a really tough warm up so have got your second breath...keep remembering everyone else feels the same. When the game starts.....remember to look at the pitch...it is the same as the pitch you have played on since you were 8...the only difference occurs outside of the white lines where the scenery changes...the 14, 21 and 50 are the same as you own pitch...its your mind that is creating the monster you have to control....remember everyone esle feels the same as you....it is vital to get in as many tackles as you can in the first five minuts..with the physical contact your aggression level should sore...and remember everyone else feels exactly the same as you...when you make a mistake, again this is normal and it is the next ball that will make the difference, you cannot change the past, prepare before the game and know that you make a mistake and put inot prctise that stragegy you have prepared when that mistake accurs...the star of your team will make a mistake..if he can, you can....the next ball is the one that will bring difference to your game, not the past. Being menatally ready for all eventualities in the game is the sercet to reacting correctly...then you know how to react...and remember every player on thatr pitch feels exactly, exactly the same as you.

the Deel Rover

well said Maximus , Al pacino better watch out  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Kerry Mike

In the good old days a drop of poitin calmed many the nerves before a game.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fishead_Sam

Never put a Mayo jersey on on All-Ireland Day in Croker  :'(

mannix

I always break the game into sections too.I set goals for myself such as 2 scores by halftime no matter how i get them.Another thing is keep moving during the entire game,its settles nerves and talk to your teammates.Everyone gets nerves, thats why some are brilliant footballers, ronaldo the brazilian had terrible nerves on the eve of world cup final in 1998.I have another stupid method to calm my nerves, i think of the fact that in 20 years time i will not be playing anymore and only kicking myself for not trying harder when i could have even if i am useless.
Then i look at ciaran macdonald or colm cooper that live for the big crowds and wonder whats my problem.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 10, 2007, 02:53:56 PM
In the good old days a drop of poitin calmed many the nerves before a game.

And the waft of Alcohol would knock out the lad marking ya.

5 Sams

QuoteSnooker player Paul Hunter (RIP) famously had a few ground-breaking ideas for settling his nerves during big games as well. Which basically amounted to having it away with his mott during the mid-session intervals.

Twud do wonders for attendances!!! Even the Ourma ones would go to matches if that oul carry on was going on at half time. ;) ;D
The Aristocrat Years

Ruairi Og exile

Everyone suffers from nerves, it's only natural. When I played I used this stuff for nerves, you sprayed into your mouth a couple of times about 2 hours before the match. Before a big match was the worst part but when you get on the pitch & got a touch you'd be grand. Leading upto a match, be positive, have confidence in your own ability, & concentrate on the match. The night before a match before you go to sleep visualise that you are going to have a stormer. Be positive, as you sound as if you have too many doubts & these are affecting you big time. Think of a match, even 3 or 4 years ago that you never put a foot wrong, & played really well....this will leave you feeling good. When you go out on the pitch for the warm up, make sure you start positively, even if you have to go up to the 21 to score a point(read that in Brian Corcoran's book).Just relax. When the match starts, if you make a mistake, forget about it, everyone makes mistakes, its the next ball that counts, just be positive & good luck.