Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

FL/MAYO

I have seen Paddy Navin's name meantioned for the full back slot a number of times, what are the pro's and con's regarding him?

MrB

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 16, 2007, 04:32:53 PM
I have seen Paddy Navin's name meantioned for the full back slot a number of times, what are the pro's and con's regarding him?

More and more teams are going with the option of a target man full forward.  From what I have seen of Paddy Navin his weakness seems to be under a high ball. I think he is a good player when attacking a quick low ball in to the full forward and has speed for that.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: MrB on July 16, 2007, 04:46:34 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 16, 2007, 04:32:53 PM

More and more teams are going with the option of a target man full forward.  From what I have seen of Paddy Navin his weakness seems to be under a high ball. I think he is a good player when attacking a quick low ball in to the full forward and has speed for that.

Navin is not the answer then if he is weak under the high ball. The high ball is a problem we have not dealt with since the All Ireland in 2004. If we could find a full back that is confident under the high ball it would solve alot of our woes in the back line.

smelly fairy

I thought myself that James Kilcullen WAS confident under the high ball... Think he should feel hard done by to be honest.

MayoMan

What ever happened to Austin O'Malley, he should be considered for next year. Mickey Mullins will also be a contender for a forwards postion.

Mayo4Sam

Very disappointing
Thought when we got level we'd pull away
Was in McReynolds in Dungiven after the match and met Paddy Bradley, he said that he'd been talking to DB and C Mort last week a nd that they weren't really up for it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Shrewdness

Even though i'm a Rossie, i have to give huge credit to you Mayo lads who contribute on this site....I really admire the enthusiasm that ye display here for ye're county.

Mayo football has just had a bad weekend, and instead of sulking and effing and blinding, here ye are trying to discuss who else might be fit to play in the Mayo defence etc.

Ye're appetite for trying to discuss the solutions to the various problems in the Mayo team is a real eye opener. In all honesty, if Mayo ever see Sam again, there is nobody who will deserve it more than you Mayo boys on here.

I also am wondering why Austin O'Malley hasn't made a bigger impact by now. Also am beginning to wonder about the merits of handing Conor Mortimer a starting jersey. For my money, he rarely delivers on the big day.

mayoman dan

first off i didnt expect mayo 2 do great dis year but 2 be out of the championship in mid july is always dissapointing.there are major problems with dis team that have been evident 4 quite sum time.the fb issue must b addressed by next may.experimentation must b carried out during the league campaign but we have 2 have a settled team cum the start of next years championship.calling for johnoos head will not solve anything although il b the first 2 admit i think he seriously took his eye of the ball 4 the galway game.jom needs time 2 put his stamp on his mayo team.certain players really need 2 bulk up nd get 2 grips with da physical side of the game nd as already said we need a full back nd a reasonably settled team 4 next year.cuniffe howley b moran hanley campbell d killcullen will all benefit from this years experience in championship battle however brief it was.finally i believe we will b serious contenders 4 sam again if not next year then certainly the year after.

ExiledGael

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 16, 2007, 07:57:54 PM
first off i didnt expect mayo 2 do great dis year but 2 be out of the championship in mid july is always dissapointing.there are major problems with dis team that have been evident 4 quite sum time.the fb issue must b addressed by next may.experimentation must b carried out during the league campaign but we have 2 have a settled team cum the start of next years championship.calling for johnoos head will not solve anything although il b the first 2 admit i think he seriously took his eye of the ball 4 the galway game.jom needs time 2 put his stamp on his mayo team.certain players really need 2 bulk up nd get 2 grips with da physical side of the game nd as already said we need a full back nd a reasonably settled team 4 next year.cuniffe howley b moran hanley campbell d killcullen will all benefit from this years experience in championship battle however brief it was.finally i believe we will b serious contenders 4 sam again if not next year then certainly the year after.

Jesus Christ, not arguing with the post at all, but that txt speak is fierce fecking hard to read!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 16, 2007, 07:39:42 PM
Very disappointing
Thought when we got level we'd pull away
Was in McReynolds in Dungiven after the match and met Paddy Bradley, he said that he'd been talking to DB and C Mort last week a nd that they weren't really up for it
What would take you in McReynolds now?
Hope Paddy wasn't drinking too much!!

mayoman dan

apologies exiledgael new to board point taken

southderryman

Hope Paddy wasn't drinking too much!!
[/quote]

sure our paddy is a pioneer!   ::)

ildanach

My selction for national league '08     
Clarke / O Malley (depending on form- clarke being by first choice)

Howley J Kilcullen Higgins

T Mortimer Cunniffe Heaney

Harte McGarrity

Kilcoyne Hanley Dillon

C Mortimer Moran Moran

Subs-  Backs: D Kilcullen, Nevin, L O' Malley, Gardiner
          Midfield: Parsons, O Se
         Forwards: McDonald, Padden,Campbell,A O'Malley, Ronaldson

It is also important to start all of these subs at different stages through the league,
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Hardy

Quote from: ildanach on July 17, 2007, 09:42:44 AM
My selction for national league '08     

Is this a new record for the board?

I haven't even heard a cuckoo yet.

Maradona

Very very disappointed at Saturdays result, a pitiful way to go out of the championship. Only explanations I can find is that JOM and the management were using the last two games as an opportunity for players to prove themselves for the future (older players as well as newer ones) as a pre-curser to the formation of next years re-building panel or that, as they say, the team had went to the well too often and just didn't have the heart for battle. Judging by JOM's comments after the game, I think it may be the former, however I think there was some of the latter too.

Either way, it is no way to enter into a championship game no matter what the situation is.

However, as well as addressing players, we need to address the following common traits of Mayo teams (at all levels):

a) We continuously cant do the basics right - we consistently give away cheap possession, be it from kick-outs, free kicks, sideline balls or by simply kicking in hope.
b) too many of our defenders are marking from behind
c) players regularly holding on to possession far too long and running up cul-de-sac's
d) very few players seem comfortable kicking the ball
e) not cynical / hungry enough on front of goal (for goals or points)
d) Too many players cant catch a high ball first time
e) We cant take 45's
e) Slow starters plus very seldom dictate the tempo from the start (which I think is an essential for a successful team)
e) Far too little aggression
f) appear slow to learn from previous games, always appear to play with abandon and hope that form will pull us through
g) cant pull away from teams when we are in the driving seat

In a nut-shell, irrespective of the players we select the following fundamentals must be implemented into Mayo teams:

1) get the basics right (don't give away cheap possession, score 45's, only hold possession if in space, etc)
2) Set the tempo in every game
3) Get ruthless in pursuit of scores

If we don't get these fundamentals right, then we will continue with the relative success that we have come accustomed to. Unfortunately in a way, because we are one of the biggest counties in terms of playing personnel, we will always put together decent teams and regularly be there or there-abouts, but if we don't address these core issues then we will forever be also-rans when it comes to lifting Sam.