Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

timmyot501

Mayo got beat because they let Paddy Bradley get going. If you stop him early his effect can be nullified. He scored 1-10 in an ulster match a couple of years ago against Monaghan (I think it was monaghan) yet they were tight from the start in the ulster semi and he was very quiet - tho he did get a sloppy goal

OirthearMhaigheo

The 2 positions that are being debated most here are obviously 3 and 6. I'm surprised so many think 6 is still such an issue. I thought D Kilcullen improved an awful lot from the Cavan match and that was only a taster. With those 2 games at c'ship level behind him and no doubt he will get a run out in the league, I think he is our answer for that position. The main reason is because he is a very good passer of the ball, whereas Cunniffe likes to run everything. Cunniffe is a great prospect but out on the wings is where we are most likely to see him I think. As for full-back that's a bigger problem, at least we can name genuine options for 6. I would imagine next year we will see Cafferky given a run at that position. Provided he bulks up a good bit I think he will solve our problems there, next year is his last at U-21 so he should be well ready at that stage.
After being gutted on Saturday, a few days of calming down has softened the blow. The main positive is the young players we have in the county, there is some brillant talent, what most counties would do to have the talent we have on the way shouldn't be under-estimated. All isn't lost, next year really will be a fresh start where I think we will see a rested, hungrier, younger team have a right go  at it again. We didn't want to admit it at the start of the season, but after last years hammering this year was a bit of a write-off and unfortunately that's the way it turned out.

rosnarun

Far from calming down from saturday . the stupidity of the loss on saturday. Just makes me more angry and the extent of the collapse leads me to disillionment. I think ew could well be looking at the 1970s all over again. remember when  we eventually won a connacht again in the 80 we thought we were mighty to score a goal against kerry. Mchale nearly got mayo amn of the year for that . we are at the end of a generation of Great players and there not much to suggest we are have any luck in replacing them. Kilcullen was totally out of his depth campell ditto cunniffe wqas hung out to dry.hanley again flattered to decieve.
in the words of a famous hurling manager in the final 15 minutes mayo were like 'Sheep in a heap' and if that happen its ALWAYS the shepards fault.
to take All-Ireland finalist to that level shuld not even require a discussion about resignation it should have been written 5 min before the end of the game.
Remember with 15 minute to go this was a game you would have put money on mayo to win, but the confusion reigned down from O mahoney from the sideline soon put a stop to that . Bringing on 2 identikit unfit underplayed forwards in  CMcD and KON threw whatever little shape we had out the window not to mention a badly out of position Gardiner was a sure sign of a manger who not only has lost the confidence of the team but also in himself.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StoneWall

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 17, 2007, 10:21:46 AM
The main reason is because he is a very good passer of the ball

Kilcullen a very good passer of the ball? Were you at the Cavan match? The amount of possession he turned over when not under pressure was scandalous!

Time for D Brady (34 next year), O'Neill (35 next year), Nallen (35 next year) to go for the good of the team. They all have been great servants to the county and it's sad that they won't win the ultimate prize.

I think Heaney (31 next year) and McDonald (33 next year) if he can stay injury free still have something to offer. The future lies with the U-21 teams for the last two years.

Tubberman

QuoteFar from calming down from saturday . the stupidity of the loss on saturday. Just makes me more angry and the extent of the collapse leads me to disillionment. I think ew could well be looking at the 1970s all over again. remember when  we eventually won a connacht again in the 80 we thought we were mighty to score a goal against kerry. Mchale nearly got mayo amn of the year for that . we are at the end of a generation of Great players and there not much to suggest we are have any luck in replacing them. Kilcullen was totally out of his depth campell ditto cunniffe wqas hung out to dry.hanley again flattered to decieve.
in the words of a famous hurling manager in the final 15 minutes mayo were like 'Sheep in a heap' and if that happen its ALWAYS the shepards fault.
to take All-Ireland finalist to that level shuld not even require a discussion about resignation it should have been written 5 min before the end of the game.
Remember with 15 minute to go this was a game you would have put money on mayo to win, but the confusion reigned down from O mahoney from the sideline soon put a stop to that . Bringing on 2 identikit unfit underplayed forwards in  CMcD and KON threw whatever little shape we had out the window not to mention a badly out of position Gardiner was a sure sign of a manger who not only has lost the confidence of the team but also in himself.

Absolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time...  ::)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

nephinbeg

hard to swallow that - heaney and mort were good as were Hanley and Howley & Cunniffe and B Moran decent - One tactical point of note - when padden was taken off mayo went to shreds I know people will have a canary when they read this but I dont think people in Mayo recognise the work he does defensivley and in the last 10 mins derry ran riot running through the middle where padden was operating as a second centre half back  - I dont think he offers enough as an attacking role but I would look at him cb again next year or midfield - Play a defensive role much similar to the way Joe Macmahon does for Tyrone. we are far to attack minded all over the field it can leave us exposed... like in the last 10 mins

Still thought with 15 to go we were going to win it ...
Dillon and mort fall on the big day again -  dissappointing

tbrick18

Quote from: timmyot501 on July 17, 2007, 10:19:17 AM
Mayo got beat because they let Paddy Bradley get going. If you stop him early his effect can be nullified. He scored 1-10 in an ulster match a couple of years ago against Monaghan (I think it was monaghan) yet they were tight from the start in the ulster semi and he was very quiet - tho he did get a sloppy goal

On Sunday all but one of the Derry forwards scored from play. In the Monaghan game Bradley and Muldoon were quiet because the ball never came into that half of the pitch...I mean Derry had 2 wides for the entire game...they didnt even get a chance to do anything and Bradley still got a goal. I think over the last two games Derry have shown there is no longer the same over-reliance on Paddy Bradley to score as we now have other forwards who can do the business...Devlin, Gilligan, Lynch, McGoldrick Muldoon...so I think your a bit off the mark here timmy!

Cllr Willie Power

The intervening days from Saturday have done little to quell a bad mood that will take some time to lift. It was an absolutely shocking performance yet again which only raises a serious amount of questions without providing any answers.

I don't know what has gone wrong with Clarke but he has been shocking this season and Saturday was the worst yet. You wouldn't see as bad in a minor match. His kickouts were brutal (found a Derry man every time) and if anyone can explain what he was at for the goals I'd be more than willing to listen but I doubt you can. Directly at fault for at least 2-3 or 2-4.

Cunniffe was quiet in the first half but turned in a good solid second half performance until injury forced him off. Definitely will be there again but I would prefer him in the half back line. Having himself and Keith Higgins as corner backs who both love to solo up the field would be a disaster.

Everybody knew that Liam O'Malley was not a full back before the game (apart from management it seems) and having faulted by having started him here serious questions have to be asked why the hell he was left to be roasted by Bradley for the full 70 mins? Crazy! I don't think he's up to it and would be surprised to see him back again.

Howley was quiet enough, showed some blistering pace with a burst up the field in the second that left people wondering if he would have been better off doing a 100m sprint.

Heaney was in and out of it, had difficultly against Muldoon and came into it a bit more when Muldoon was switched. I don't know why lads are writing him off for next year because he is still one of our top performers, only self imposed retirement or exile will see him absent from the 2008 teamsheet.

David Kilcullen. No more than the Cavan game, you wouldn't know he was on the pitch only for the number of times he turned over possession. Not big enough. Not strong enough. Not good enough. I know he's only young but he was not the answer this year.

If there's one man who can hold his head up high and is exempt from the crticism of the team's performance then it it Trevor Mortimer. The man had an absolute stormer, buliding on his perfrmance against Cavan. He showed great determination, leadership and a never say die attitude which was sadly lacking in some of his team mates. Threw himself into everything and never gave up. Saw off at least 3 different markers. If we had 14 more like him we would not be out of the Championship today.

Brady looked miles off the pace while Harte looked sluggish as well. We were beaten up a stick in midfield where Derry ruled the roost. They won most of both sides kickouts and created scoring chances as our lads were missing in action. Another area which needs to be addressed for next year. Hopefully, we will have a fit and healthy McGarritty back in action and O'Shea can make a break through.

While I'm not BJP's biggest fan, it's not fair on him the way he's been shifted from pillar to post. However, he was poor again on Saturday and I stand by my conviction that he's simply not up to it.

Hanley looked good at times in possession but, like the Cavan game, he tends to be marked absent at times. Whether it's a lack of concentration of poor positional play or what I don't know but he needs to be involved for the full 70.

Blast - Dillon had to go off injured at half time, he was doing alright up until that. However, he has been suffering from a loss of form all year and we need a lot more from him in 2008.

C Mortimer did his usual disappearing act. If we can get a reliable free taker then it will be bye bye Conor as he never delivers when the pressure is on, goes hiding in the corner and misses too many easy frees in general.

If I was Barry Moran I would have ate the head of my team mates at half time! The whole idea of him being there is to pump the ball in high and let him have at it. Instead we did the usual short passing and pricking around in the middle 8 until Heaney launched one forward we got a fluke goal. They then copped on that it was a good idea so they let in a few more. Moran had 1-2 by half time but that was it. He'll be here next year though.

Not one of Andy's better days and it is worrying that his finishing had been so poor in the last 2 games. One of our most important players though and was really up against it in SML.

Kilcoyne made a great impact when we had our one period of dominance at the start of the second half, drew level and looked like we might push on from there. Unfortunately he then got injured and we seemed to lose our rhythm after his departure. I felt so sorry for Campbell, what they did to him was a disgrace. It was not his fault and there were others who should have gone ahead of him. None of the subs made a telling contribution.

I know that I've been critical but, as I say, the form is bad and is likely to be for a while yet. We've been poor all year - compared to our potential and ability - and some players have been found lacking while we have been unfortunate with injuries as well. I suppose that goes to show the depth of our panel and answers the questions we wondered. While I've been giving out about the players, I would also have to ask questions about the management. Some of the decision making all year has been baffling and they failed to have back up plans in place when Plan A didn't work. Now, I'm not calling for JOM's head or anything but we could have had some silverware in the League and maybe progressed a bit further in the Championship. Hell, if we even performed it would have been something!

Anyway, I've typed a mini novel so I'll end my rant now.

Fair play to Derry though, ye were by far the better team on the day and I have to say a very sound bunch of people - fans, officials etc. Best of luck to ye!

P.S. If anyone wants to relive the torture, the game is being shown on Setanta on Wednesday evening at 6.50 p.m.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Tubberman on July 17, 2007, 01:53:17 PM
QuoteFar from calming down from saturday . the stupidity of the loss on saturday. Just makes me more angry and the extent of the collapse leads me to disillionment. I think ew could well be looking at the 1970s all over again. remember when  we eventually won a connacht again in the 80 we thought we were mighty to score a goal against kerry. Mchale nearly got mayo amn of the year for that . we are at the end of a generation of Great players and there not much to suggest we are have any luck in replacing them. Kilcullen was totally out of his depth campell ditto cunniffe wqas hung out to dry.hanley again flattered to decieve.

Absolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time...  ::)

Agreed Tubberman  >:(

intoDwest

the Deel Rover

the point about saturday is that of the starting 15 only david brady and maybe David Heaney will probably retire next year the other 13 players are the future of mayo fotball,they should have been bursting their gut to impress jom .Did jom not motivate the players if not we are in serious bother 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 17, 2007, 04:55:10 PM
the point about saturday is that of the starting 15 only david brady and maybe David Heaney will probably retire next year the other 13 players are the future of mayo fotball,they should have been bursting their gut to impress jom .Did jom not motivate the players if not we are in serious bother 

David Heaney still has some good football in him.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 17, 2007, 04:56:10 PM

i said maybe fishead, your in argumentative (spl) mode today even against your fellow mayomen ;) ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 17, 2007, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 17, 2007, 04:56:10 PM

i said maybe fishead, your in argumentative (spl) mode today even against your fellow mayomen ;) ;)

All this energy that usually used up following Mayo, might head off to Limerick to watch the ladies (might go to the match too  ;)  )

rosnarun

QuoteAbsolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time... 

I have no problem with personal insults but was that all you could come up with.?
im not jumping on any bandwagon here . not that youll bother but i have been saying the same thing abouty O mhoney for yeah. his shitre hawking cost mayo a very good manager in mickey moran and  maughan the way the county board we pressurized into clearing the deck for the Kilmovee Messiah whose feet of clay are now shown to the world . some manager just dont suit some team . so hold on to your JOM is god Ideal if you want, but he has made a ball of this summer the worst weve had since Pat holmes and at least he won a league title and was also rebuilding.
keep up the insults but try and say where im going wrong I too want to be saved
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere