Jack O Connor a whinger or just trying sell his book

Started by Davitt Man, June 26, 2007, 01:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Excellent manager - who has given the 2 fingers to the cabal of 70's players in kerry who believe they wrote the last will and testament as regards Gaelic football. Fair play to him - other counties would bend over backwards to get him.
Found many of the Kerry 70's team to be bloody obnoxious to be honest- one or two like Jacko or Mikey sheehy are fine but i wouldn't have any time for the rest. what deenihan said was scandalous- and jack is entitled to get his own bacl -papers like the kerryman would want to come out of the dark ages

lynchbhoy

I really like and highly rate OConnor.
He saw how Kerry were beaten and went away and prepared his team to play in a different manner for the following championship.
A smart man, a rival to mickey harte in tactical astuteness.

I will buy that book and cant wait to read it.
The man got credit, but prob not nearly as much as people should be giving him

A good man, a great manager.
Feck the begrudgers

Dont think that he really gives too much of a damn about tyrone !
He won two AI in the three years he was manager, Tyrone won 1

neutral

O Connor was a decent hardworking manager, who I believed would have won more all Irelands if he had stayed on but with that type of manners why would he?  Tactiaclly whilst he never got the better of Mickey Haret he was certainly up there with him.  Harte has won 2 all Irelands in the same space as well so if anything is the better manager because he won the head to head. 

Fishead_Sam

3 Finals on a trot, won 2 easily, lost one in a tight hard match.

Defo going to be getting the book @ lunch time.

Look alot of those 70-80's team lads aren't as hot as they think Jacko failed in Mayo, Paidai is failing in Clare, Micko only did average with Kildare & Laois, Mickey Ned is failing in Limerick, not slagging the lads but its unfair to dismiss the man solely because he wasn't part of the so called Golden Era.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 28, 2007, 10:45:24 AM
Micko only did average with Kildare & Laois.

In fairness to him he had two great spells with kildare, that kildare team were class to watch when they were on top of their game and they reached an all-ireland final

ziggysego

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 28, 2007, 10:26:21 AM
He won two AI in the three years he was manager, Tyrone won 1

In fairness, in Mickey's first three years, it was Tyrone = 2 Kerry = 1.

That said, I think that O'Connor was a great manager for Kerry. I was unawares of some of the attitude he was getting from some of the people of Kerry. Quite frankly it is unwarrented. O'Connor had greater competition in his three years, than the 70's team. He didn't get the respect he deserves.

My advice, go to Mayo and win the All-Ireland there..... beating Kerry in the final! ;)
Testing Accessibility

SuperDooperCooper

The great Mickey Hart v Jack O'Connor debate.
Fact is Kerry won more titles than Tyrone in the time they were sparring even if Tyrone did win the one head to head (narrowly - if deserverably so).
Jack record of 2 All-Ireland, 2 Munster Championships and 2 national Leagues is damb impressive in any era.
Jack was a fantastic manager, hard as nails but he did seem a bit thin skinned with some of the incidents mentioned.
The Deenihan thing is an example of a political saying the politically correct thing at a function, Jack's wasn't going to stay Kerry manager forever and Deenihan said he hoped one day Micko would finish by managing Kerry, he certainly didn't say sack Jack and appoint Micko......but that is what Jack seemed to hear.
Micko not contacting him to say well done is a really strange one, if he did and offered advice would Jack say he tried to interfere?
Not really happy with the outsider thing either south Kerry always had a presence on the Kerry team this seems to be a bit of paranoia on Jacks part.
Jack complained about Pat O'Shea interfering with the team last year yet the book launch is in the week of a major game - what will the scribes be asking Pat about this week I wonder.
The whole thing with the finances could have been left out too the county board could have done without that pressure this week.
The thing I hope that isn't in the book is a public statement on any internal row that happened between players during Jack's reign, it would be a shame if players had to address those issues in the coming weeks.
I have no issue with Jack making a few quid out of the book but honesty he could have launched it next November instead this book will follow the Kerry team around for the rest of the summer.
What was the old saying 'If you are not helping you are..........'

Fear ón Srath Bán

Can't blame Jack for releasing his tome now, it's all part of the publishing merry-go-round, i.e., maximising the publicity, controversy, etc., and sales (and perhaps a lot of it out of his hands). Neither can he be blamed for calling it exactly as he sees it now and saw it then, and whether that comes across as being a little hypersensitive is totally subjective, but without dishing that 'dirt' it would be somewhat of an anaemic read perhaps. 

Was Micko's snub a bit of local Waterville-Dromid rivalry in that part of the Iveragh Peninsula?

His is an impressive record, fit to stand with the best of them, and it's fair to say Kerry would not have had the success they did have without having had him at the helm.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyroneman

QuoteTyrone did win the one head to head (narrowly - if deserverably so).

EH? The scoreline in no way reflected how that game progressed. Bar the first 10-15min Tyrone dominated that game and bar the 2nd Kerry goal it could have got very embarrassing for the kingdom.

rrhf

I thought O Connor conducted himself with great dignity during his tenure  under obvious internal pressure.  If within Kerry  he stands accused of bringing a harder northern edge to Kerry football then he has been an undoubted success.  I believed in 2003 that most of that Kerry team were done.  He played about with it rebranded them as game footballers and won 2 AItitles with a few new guys.  Another manager would not have tried to ape the Nothern programme, he was brave enough to do it.  If 2 ALL iRELANDS makes you unpopular in Kerry then the kerry supporters and ex player brigade need to question themselves.  They have been living off the fat of their success for too long.   Thats quite interesting when they won the all ireland in 2004 Seany Walshe made the unfortunate remarks about Kerry winning playing football the way it was meant to be played.  This was a poorly disguised dig at Tyrone and armagh.  So then why when the era is over is he accused of aping the style?

Declan

QuoteThe whole thing with the finances could have been left out too the county board could have done without that pressure this week

Why should it have been left out?

fearglasmor

F'ing typical. Guys in civil service jobs have the capacity to take days off work to pursue their passtime and then get paid for loss of earnings.
I havent seen the detail of this book and maybe Jack O'Connor has declared the income and paid tax on it, if so fair play to him.
If not, then I hope the Revenue Commissioners will be in contact.

twotwocharlie

what is his problem with northern teams. in days gone by if cork had a poor team kerry had just all ireland semi final and final to play.
whinging bastard.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: twotwocharlie on June 28, 2007, 02:54:31 PM
what is his problem with northern teams. in days gone by if cork had a poor team kerry had just all ireland semi final and final to play.
whinging bastard.

Ya but that Semi was against those great Connacht or Ulster teams of the 1970's & 1980'S  ;D

Fuzzman

Did anyone read the back page of the Irish news today
Very interesting extracts from his book aobut how much he hates Tyrone and its worse losing to them and to anyone else

Still I think he left at the right time if there was all this attitude from within the county
He congratulates Canavan on his great rugby tackle on Gooch near the end of 2005