Jack O Connor a whinger or just trying sell his book

Started by Davitt Man, June 26, 2007, 01:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I have the utmost respect for Jack O Connor and im glad he is telling his side of the story and writing about those who forced his hand and made him retire. I also enjoy his column in the Times.

I did hear a few personal stories of his man management of certain players. With out saying too much he went well out of his way to look after some of the players that had personal troubles while he was in charge.

There were people in Kerry that didnt want to see him as manager since day one just because he didnt star as a county player himself. He proved them all wrong. Fair play.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Did'nt read any of the book excerpts yet but saw his interview on Miriam. (well done to whoever picks the guests for that show. Jack really fitted in well with Samantha Mumba and Louis Walsh etc!).

I've always had great respect for him. He put real steel in to Kerry and was very unlucky not to achieve a 3 in a row in an era that was much more difficult than that which the Kerry teams in the 80's did so. In interviews and general media dealings he was always intelligent and direct and never went in for any of the loveable rogue/cute hoor shite of Micko and Paidi.

However I was a little disappointed with the way he's appearing to whinge at the moment. He won 2 AI's out of 3. Nothing to prove to anybody. Surely he could move on and let his silverware speak for him? What he's complaining about seems petty enough. Micko and members of the Kerry 80s sides not calling to congratulate him or "offer a word of advice"?  I imagine some of them kept their distance so as not to appear interfering and the last thing most new managers to a job need is advice from high profile predessorss. Jacko always came across as a man who liked to do things his way anyway. I'm also not sure that Jimmy Deenihan's comments were really that offensive. Surely he was just being a typical politician throwing out  a soundbite and probably meant that Micko would manage Kerry again "someday" rather than replace O'Connor?

Of course the abuse and vicious texts cant be condoned but then again the people that spew that type of trash are sadly in every club and county. That doesnt excuse it but it at the same time you'd imagine Jack would hardly be shocked by it.

All in all he came across to me as being hyper sensitive and insecure. I hope he returns to the management fold again with some other county if not Kerry. I think he's a great manager and would be excellent and developing a lesser county.

johnpower

Agree Ross Matt he is a little sensitive . Maybe all managers are like this ? The abuse in Kerry is not funny and is the worst in the country

Tyrones own

Fair play to him, have a great deal of respect for the man.
  After all, Paudi said it best, "they're a bunch of f**king Animals" :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ONeill

In all honesty, Kerry players, management and supporters and even those who don't follow the football are wrecked with depression over the fact they haven't beaten Tyrone in Championship football since 1986, 21 years ago. In the interim any Kerry All-Ireland has been a hollow one and if KM looks deep into his soul he'll see the burning pain. Can't get the photos onto the memory card, they're saved on the buckin phone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Kerry Mike

A burning pain to win 2 in a row thats all. We are not fussy in Kerry who we bate as long as we win.
Remind us all where were Tyrone hiding in 97, 00, 04 and 06  :P

As for 86 now that was a whipping, 15 point turnaround in the second half. Sent you a PM
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Galway15

I must admit i cant wait to read o Connors book..he comes across as a super man manager who doesnt spoof like others...ive heard reliable stories that he really looks after his players...As regards that interview with the beautiful Miriam..how interested was mumba?? she looked entralled! :P  Id love o Connor to manage Galway..spread the rumour..O Connor for the Galway job!!!! ;D

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: tyroneman on June 26, 2007, 04:33:58 PM
QuoteTyronies actaully believe that because he didn't ever beat them that he had "unfinished business".

Wasn't the Tyronies that came up with that theory I'm afraid. I remember an article in a Sunday broadsheet (or maybe it was the Irish News) which talked about how Kerry beating Mayo was deemed insignificant in the kingdom and how they immediately talked about needing to beat Tyrone to feel they had won it properly.

Now for a county with over 30 AIs I took this with a pinch of salt but I have heard that opitnion come out of Kerry more than once...................................................

Ya and those views mean that here in Mayo alot of people not alone waiting to win Sam but to beat Kerry in a Final so early and by so much that they know what it means to get bate. Its annoying hearing Kerry people devalue theor victories over us, because we can do something quite regulary which they can't, beat Tyrone.

AZOffaly

I have never heard a Kerry person devalue an All ireland regardless of who they beat in the final. That Tyrone lad is trying to wind you up.

I've no doubt they would love to meet and beat Tyrone, just as they did Armagh, because there is a score to settle. Jaysus sake, they'd love to hammer Offaly in an All Ireland to get revenge for 1982. But they would never rubbish an All ireland win no matter who they beat in the final.

Kerry Mike

Will hopefully pick up a copy at the weekend and get stuck into it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Declan

Interesting comments re his reimbursement for loss of earnings. County board had no problem giving Jack money for his half days in addition to expenses and phone calls etc

GrandMasterFlash

By Martin Breheny
Thursday June 28 2007

JACK O'CONNOR and the Kerry County Board are to face a major GAA probe following an #astonishing admission by the former manager that he was reimbursed for financial losses last year.

If O'Connor and/or the County Board officers who sanctioned the payments are found to have breached the rules on amateurism, they could face a six-month suspension or expulsion from the GAA.

O'Connor has admitted he worked half days as a teacher in 2006 and that he became a full-time football manager in the afternoons, for which he was reimbursed by the Kerry County Board in a deal which, according to him, was readily conceded.

"I said to the County Board that for me this was the only way to operate. It was done," he wrote in his autobiography.

However, the Kerry County Board have strongly denied that any such arrangement existed, insisting that the only extra benefit O'Connor received over and above normal GAA expenses was a family holiday which was awarded to him after the 2006 All-Ireland final success.

"There was no question of paying for a sub teacher or anything like that. Everything was totally above board. I accept that the way it appears in the book might give the impression that we paid him directly for missing time from teaching but there was never any question of the Kerry County Board breaking the GAA's rules on amateurism," said Kerry chairman, Seán Walsh.

The GAA became aware of the controversy yesterday and, while no official comment was forthcoming, a senior insider acknowledged that an investigation would have to be undertaken.

"If a county manager states he was reimbursed for financial losses arising from taking time off to look after a team, we have to investigate. That type of deal is totally at odds with our amateur status rules," he said.

O'Connor, who led Kerry to All-Ireland successes in 2004 and 2006, quit last autumn.

He wrote in his book that when he became manager in succession to Páidí Ó Sé in late 2003, he received standard GAA expenses only.

Over a period of time the hectic schedule left him "tired and cranky" and impacted on his family, his job and the Kerry team.

It prompted him to seek a renegotiation of his arrangements for 2006 "for my sanity and for the team and for the family".

The terms of that renegotiation will now come under detailed scrutiny which could have major implications for O'Connor, the Kerry County Board and the GAA's rules on amateurism.
WAS THIS RULE BROKEN?

Rule 11 of the Official Guide

AMATEUR STATUS

The Association is an Amateur Association. A player, team, official, or member shall not accept payment in cash or in kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games.

A player, team, official or member shall not contract himself/itself to any agent other than those officially approved by the Central Council. Expenses paid to all officials, players and members shall not exceed the standard rates laid down by the Central Council.

Members of the Association may not participate in full-time training. This rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or wages to employees of the Association.

PENALTY: 24 weeks' suspension or expulsion

- Martin Breheny

Monaghan for Sam I say if this happens!!  :o

rosnarun

If the ban were to be applied retrospectivly ..............

Mayo ALLIRELAND Champions 2006 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2007, 09:54:11 AM
If the ban were to be applied retrospectivly ..............

Mayo ALLIRELAND Champions 2006 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking the very same thing on the way to work this morning   :D