Jarlath Burns Views on the Politics of the Maze Stadium

Started by SammyG, June 25, 2007, 11:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Sorry to start a new thread but I though this deserved a wider audience (if admin doesn't agree then feel free to close it).

Jarlath Burns was interviewed on the BBC Politics Show at the weekend and said

"I suppose from a GAA perspective, a lot of GAA people are puzzled at the approach the Ulster Council have taken because of the amount of great stadiums we have already - do we need another one at the Maze?

"But, my own belief in it is that there was a sort of an unwritten, unsaid agreement between Sinn Fein and the GAA where the republicans said they would allow the GAA to make up its own mind without interference on Rule 21 and Rule 42, and allow them to reflect on that IF the GAA, as a sort of a quid-pro-quo, would be supportive of the Maze Stadium because, of course, it is part of the project which includes H3 and the prison hospital which was of deep emotional significance to republicans".

Just wandering what the GAA heads on here (especially the Southern ones) think of the idea of the Ulster GAA doing deals with SF, for purely political rather than sporting reasons. Or was Jarlath talking bollix?

maddog

Jarlath thought that Stephen Kernan had a great game against Donegal, so i'll not be paying much heed to anything he says.

stiffler

Do you see the words 'MY OWN BELIEF' ??

That kinda gives it away.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Long time dead

Jarlath just likes to see his name in print - the only think the man isn't in is the crib - pinch of salt here!

ziggysego

They're his views, not based on facts.

Seeing as you're so fond of facts on this issue, get the facts to support this view ;)
Testing Accessibility

laughinpaddy

is this just another dig at the GAA from you Sammy? ;)
I ain't gettin on no plane!

SammyG

Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2007, 11:32:59 AM

Seeing as you're so fond of facts on this issue, get the facts to support this view ;)

I haven't seen any facts, that's why I posted a question. It just seems a bit strange that somebody in Jarlath's position would be making up a story, like this.

liihb

QuoteIt just seems a bit strange that somebody in Jarlath's position would be making up a story, like this

Exactly what position is that?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

stew

Sammy is just having fun with this non issue, he knows rightly that jarlath was offering his opinion yet he coninues to peddle this ridiculous theory about to see who will bite.

What position is Jarlath taking there sammy?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GweylTah

Jarlath also said there was nothing about the Maze stadium in the papers whereas there was plenty about in one and it was mentioned in at least one other, yet he was there to do a paper review.

Still, interesting to get a perspective from someone close to GAA and, until this thread, someone who is thought of as being respected within GAA and republican circles, as his inclusion last week in a panel on the legacy of dealing with NI's past kind of exemplified.

ziggysego

Quote from: SammyG on June 25, 2007, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2007, 11:32:59 AM

I haven't seen any facts, that's why I posted a question. It just seems a bit strange that somebody in Jarlath's position would be making up a story, like this.

Ah, get you now Sammy.

Well I would be very surprised if there was any truth in this rumour. I wouldn't like to think it is true either.

On a personal note, I don't see the need for a new stadium and don't particularly want one either. However if we are to get one, well I wouldn't want it to be in Belfast.
Testing Accessibility

stew

The maze is yer only man for the stadium, the shafties will simply have to travel or  norn iron will be down to about 7,000 'fans' for their games with the odd sell out against Engerland or the Republic should their paths cross.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 25, 2007, 11:25:53 AM

Just wandering what the GAA heads on here (especially the Southern ones) think of the idea of the Ulster GAA doing deals with SF, for purely political rather than sporting reasons. Or was Jarlath talking bollix?

What deal was that Sammy - the unsaid and unwritten one? Even the Bert would have problems putting that one together.  ::)

pintsofguinness

Took the words out of my mouth donagh. 

Clutching at straws again sammy.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?