2026 Intermediate Football Championship

Started by SCFC, July 28, 2026, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallballbigballs

Quote from: Verbal on September 25, 2026, 06:16:44 PMHoovering up?
The two adult titles they'll win this year aside....

They were in for 3 and will have 3 trophy's before the year is out. Can't do more than that

Smallballbigballs

Quote from: Joeythelips on September 26, 2026, 09:02:44 PMKilcavan 1-19 0-09 Ballyfin, the scoreline tells the story. Kilcavan by far the better team and given their age profile will do well at senior level. Cian Ryle got man of the match but I thought Ian Dunne and Rory Lalor were outstanding for Kilcavan.

Senior football here we come.

A great win for them, and didn't happen on their own. But 'do well' will be very difficult as they'll find out but that's not for today. Mountmellick will be sick at missing out on all them lads that could have been theirs

Joeythelips

Quote from: Smallballbigballs on September 27, 2026, 08:54:25 AM
Quote from: Joeythelips on September 26, 2026, 09:02:44 PMKilcavan 1-19 0-09 Ballyfin, the scoreline tells the story. Kilcavan by far the better team and given their age profile will do well at senior level. Cian Ryle got man of the match but I thought Ian Dunne and Rory Lalor were outstanding for Kilcavan.

Senior football here we come.

A great win for them, and didn't happen on their own. But 'do well' will be very difficult as they'll find out but that's not for today. Mountmellick will be sick at missing out on all them lads that could have been theirs

Yes I should have said have the potential to do well as I dont not have a crystal ball. Obviously Senior football is a big step up but given the trajectory this team have been on (management and players) as they continue to learn, develop and improve it is clear they have serious potential to improve even further

If you look at last nights game they really struggled on their own kickouts in the first half, some of their shooting was very questionable at times yet they still won pulling up. They also will have more young players of quality coming through so the future for Kilcavan is very bright and there is no reason they cannot go up and be seriously competitive at Senior level once they keep up the hard work they have been putting in.

Smallballbigballs

They might but they have struggled on kick outs the past two years and the step up is very very high. Let them enjoy this and Leinster and go from there. Vital to go higher in the league also.

SCFC

Hope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: SCFC on September 28, 2026, 04:28:41 PMHope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.



Kilcavan have 2 Laois minors up next year so it should be an extra bit of a help to them. With 3 going down from senior again next year it makes things tricky for them but judging by the standard of some of the poorer senior teams I've seen this year Kilcavan do have a chance of staying up if they keep their full panel together and add a couple more from minor

The PRO

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 28, 2026, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: SCFC on September 28, 2026, 04:28:41 PMHope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 28, 2026, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: SCFC on September 28, 2026, 04:28:41 PMHope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.



Kilcavan have 2 Laois minors up next year so it should be an extra bit of a help to them. With 3 going down from senior again next year it makes things tricky for them but judging by the standard of some of the poorer senior teams I've seen this year Kilcavan do have a chance of staying up if they keep their full panel together and add a couple more from minor



Kilcavan have 2 Laois minors up next year so it should be an extra bit of a help to them. With 3 going down from senior again next year it makes things tricky for them but judging by the standard of some of the poorer senior teams I've seen this year Kilcavan do have a chance of staying up if they keep their full panel together and add a couple more from minor

Hope I'm wrong actually but I don't think any club will be getting any extra players from minor next year if the proposals from the county board are accepted by the clubs. You'll have to be turning 19 not 18 in a given year to play adult going forward.
Can't say I agree with it myself - think young lads will be lost to football and hurling if they're not allowed play adult in the year they turn 18.
Hope Kilcavan can push on from this. Get a run in the Leinster intermediate maybe and make sure they get promoted out of Division 3 next year.

Heshs Umpire

Congrats to Kilcavan! Like ourselves, a fairly small club. Many's the game we've had against them over the years operating as intermediate or junior teams and maybe Division 3 or 4 so it's great to see them at the top tier for the first time ever. And commiserations to Ballyfin - a fine dual club. One of those nights when nothing went right for them - we've all been there too.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Smellyball

Quote from: The PRO on September 29, 2026, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 28, 2026, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: SCFC on September 28, 2026, 04:28:41 PMHope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 28, 2026, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: SCFC on September 28, 2026, 04:28:41 PMHope I'm wrong but I fear Kilcavan might struggle a bit in their first year senior. But that's for another day. I'm sure the High Chapparal was rocking Saturday night and yesterday and probably for a few more days to come! They have some fine players. Niall Lalor, Cian Ryle and those Hunt lads are all excellent. Ballyfin didn't do enough at all with the breeze and were easily enough opened up against it.
Next year's intermediate will be a real dogfight.



Kilcavan have 2 Laois minors up next year so it should be an extra bit of a help to them. With 3 going down from senior again next year it makes things tricky for them but judging by the standard of some of the poorer senior teams I've seen this year Kilcavan do have a chance of staying up if they keep their full panel together and add a couple more from minor



Kilcavan have 2 Laois minors up next year so it should be an extra bit of a help to them. With 3 going down from senior again next year it makes things tricky for them but judging by the standard of some of the poorer senior teams I've seen this year Kilcavan do have a chance of staying up if they keep their full panel together and add a couple more from minor

Hope I'm wrong actually but I don't think any club will be getting any extra players from minor next year if the proposals from the county board are accepted by the clubs. You'll have to be turning 19 not 18 in a given year to play adult going forward.
Can't say I agree with it myself - think young lads will be lost to football and hurling if they're not allowed play adult in the year they turn 18.
Hope Kilcavan can push on from this. Get a run in the Leinster intermediate maybe and make sure they get promoted out of Division 3 next year.

Ah the good old GAA.
18 is old enough to vote, drink, drive, smoke, join the army and go to prison... but you can't play football against the big rough men.