Mayo v Cavan

Started by Redgreenery, June 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteDavid Kilcullen at CHB. Did anyone see that coming?

yes ;)

QuoteD.Clarke:

Backs:
O'Malley
Heaney
Devenney
T.Mort
D.Kilcullen
Gardiner
Harte
D.Brady
A.Dillion
P.Hanley
K.O'Neill
A.Moran
A.O'Malley / C.MacDonald
C.Mortimer / Kilcoyne

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blast05

Kevin O'Neill, Austie, Ger Brady ...... none of them too 'happy campers' i would say

Bod Mor

It's great to see Hanley in the strting line up. Alot of people here were saying it may be too early for him, no it won't. Get him in there in the thick of things as soon as possible is what I say. He's playing great stuff for Ballagh all year and now is his time too shine in the Green and Red. If he is to be the new shining light of Mayo football then he must get used of the big time sooner rather than later, did Kerry hang around when Gooch came on the scene or did Cork hang around when Masters came along?

It will be interesting to see where Barry Moran lines out, he's played half forward before for Mayo. I don't think he'll be included at full forward. I reckon the forwards will line out like this:

Dillon,Barry Moran and Andy Moran on the 40 with Mortimer and Hanley on the full forward line with Billie Joe at full forward swapping every now and then with Hanley probably. There is plenty room for maneuvering there and with O'Neill,McDonald,Kilcoyne,Campbell,Brady eile and Austie to be sprung from the bench the boys who are strting know well the'll have to make an impression from the start.

We can't judge that half back line until we see them in action and Liam O'Malley back at full back is another interesting spectacle.
Roll on Saturday, I'd love to see this match in the flesh to see how the new look Mayo get on.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

FL/MAYO

Maybe we will see the ball going in high and quickly to the full forward line with Mortimer looking for a quick pass from Moran. Works well for Cork and Kerry.

Davitt Man

I cant believe what i am seeing in front of me, that team is the strangest mayo team i have seen picked for a c\ship match ever!! Unbelievable

Davitt Man

Quote from: blast05 on July 04, 2007, 11:52:21 PM
Kevin O'Neill, Austie, Ger Brady ...... none of them too 'happy campers' i would say
Killer must be sickened as well, is he ever going to start a game for Mayo!!

Barney

Unbelievable and bizarre is what has to be said about the Mayo team.

For whatever reason the major surgery required after the AI was not carried out. No point in discussing the reasons now. We are where we are. I know many of the u21s have been training all year with the senior team and are on weights programmes. Its just disappointing that they did not get to shine in the league.

The Galway game called for radical surgery - 7 personnel changes, 4 positional changes, 2 debutants, and at least 7 of the team under 25, 3 were u21 this year. I may be hasty but it seems that JOM has drawn the curtain on the careers of James Nallen and Kevin O'Neill. The aim this season is clearly not to win Sam but build towards an assault on the championship in 2/3 time. That is sensible. As Liam McHale said in the Western this week we have over-achieved.

If you look at those that were dropped - Devenney, Nallen, O'Neill, and Brady especially they can have no arguements.

The failure to recognise Peadar Gardiner's weaknesses could cost us yet. I think he should have gone, and it is a decision that has had to be made for a long-time.

To the Cavan posters it is not about Mayo being complacent and making changes, but more looking at our bigger picture. Ye could take us with such an experimental line-up.

When you add in McGarrity, Higgins and Harte we are building a nice panel of players to take over when the elder lemons retire. Now lets find some backs. As well as the prospects of Campbell, Cafferkey and Cunniffe. Good times may be ahead.

Finally, what's the story with Aidan Kilcoyne? JOM doesn't seem to be a big fan.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Barney on July 05, 2007, 08:12:20 AM

I may be hasty but it seems that JOM has drawn the curtain on the careers of James Nallen and Kevin O'Neill.

The failure to recognise Peadar Gardiner's weaknesses could cost us yet. I think he should have gone, and it is a decision that has had to be made for a long-time.

I said after the Galway that Johnno will prob let the older lads play themselves off the team like, Nallen, Chucky, Brady, McDonald, Heaney, but brady heaney and McD still have something left. Nallen actually was one of our best players in the league final but was poor against Galway and so was oneill so they have no complaints.

As for gardner getting found out, what about putting Trev Mort at 5, thats crazy, he cant tackle to save his life and his ball distribution is terrible, you need good ball players in the half back line, Dev was terrible with the ball too

I dunno this team is bizarre to say the least, this is the kind of team that should have been picked for an FBD league game or NFL game not a c\ship game, this shows Johnno's eye was completely off the ball with that feckin election!

Barney

Agree about Trevor. Two yellows could be picked up quite easily!!

StoneWall

The problem of not having a full back capable of dealing with high ball still persists three championship campaigns later!

Should beat Cavan but that's as good as it will get.

Anyone know where I can get odds on Trevor Mortimer being sent off?

cavan4ever

Quote from: StoneWall on July 05, 2007, 09:24:59 AM
The problem of not having a full back capable of dealing with high ball still persists three championship campaigns later!

Where have i heard that before.

criostlinn

Some serious changes in that line up lads. So much for using the league to build for the championship. Half the team either didnt play in the league or are named in a position they didnt play in the league. I have to say most of the changes or needed but I dont understand why they havent been done earlier in the year. In regards to Trevor, he'll be missed from the forward line but I definiatly think he'll be a great addition to the half back line. The backs have been missing a bit of agression over the years, but now with Aiden Higgens, Trevor Mortimer, and David Killcullen its starting to look a bit tougher. Wouldnt mind seeing Howley in there as we'll. Cant really understand how he doesnt get more games.

Davitt Man

Quote from: criostlinn on July 05, 2007, 09:34:30 AM
Wouldnt mind seeing Howley in there as we'll. Cant really understand how he doesnt get more games.

David Clarke, Aidan Higgins, Liam O'Malley, Trevor Howley

AbbeySider

A strange team indeed !  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
No Chucky, Ger Brady or James Nallen.... or Austey

I cant see Barry Moran starting in at full-forward. Anybody who watched him in last years All-Ireland will know from watching him that he was way out of position.

(any high balls that were pumped in on top of him; he ran at them like a kick out and the ball floated over his head. He wasnt used to the flight of the ball at FF. Natural mid-fielder)

I have a sneeking feeling that the team will be changed around on the day. I can see Barry Moran playing much deeper helping around mid-field. It could look more like this:

D Clarke;

A Higgins,   L O'Malley,    T Howley;

P Gardiner(C),    D Kilcullen,    Trevor Mortimer;

D Heaney,
       D Brady;        B Moran,

BJ Padden,    P Hanley,    A Dillon;

C Mortimer,    A Moran.

Barry Moran playing around the middle,would allow Heaney to pick up breaks and go forward. It would also allow Trev Mortimor or Gardiner to go forward and when they did Heaney would drop back for cover.

Its just a theory. I could be wrong.

blast05

QuoteIn regards to Trevor, he'll be missed from the forward line but I definiatly think he'll be a great addition to the half back line. The backs have been missing a bit of agression over the years, but now with Aiden Higgens, Trevor Mortimer, and David Killcullen its starting to look a bit tougher

Agree 100%.
The biggest single impact a half back or half forward line can have in a game is hovering up breaking ball and these boys strike me as a bunch that will throw their bodies on the line every single time and will win way over their share of the hard ball