Mayo v Cavan

Started by Redgreenery, June 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow Man

cavan will be something along these lines ;)

1   James Reilly   
2   Michael Hannon   
3   Dermot Sheridan   
4   Keith Fannin   
5   Ronan Flanagan   
6   Jonathon Crowe   
7   Martin Reilly   
8   Dermot McCabe   
9   Nicholas Walsh   
10   Raymond Cullivan   
11   Anthony Forde   
12   Mark McKeever   
13   Jason O'Reilly   
14   Sean Brady   
15   Gerald Pearson   

with brady and cullivan switching and gallagher and lyng in reserve

wouldnt be surprised if jason didnt start either he's meant to be struggling with a hamstring

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tubberman on July 05, 2007, 02:07:18 PM
Anyone else think Johnno sacraficed the Galway game as a means of showing that it is time for change?
Bit of a conspiracy theory I know but the disaster show in Salthill has provided him with the justification to radically change the team.
Looking forward to seeing Kilcullen and Hanley especially. Is it too much to put him in at CHF in his first senior game though?
This team has definitely made Saturday's game a lot more interesting - can't wait now!  :)

I don't think so Tuberman for e.g if Ciaran Mc,Ronan Mc Garrity and Keith Higgins were fit and pat harte was not suspended do you think he would have picked the team that he has now picked,I think he was left with very little option and his hand was forced, its sink or swim time now.What i can't understand is why did he not play hanley and kilcullen during the league campaign to give them some experience .If mayo lose and they shouldn't he can say he is building for the future when in fact it is a very experienced team apart from Hanley and kilcullen who are playing in 2 pivotal positions.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Davitt Man

when was the last time the number 6 & 11 c\ship jerseys were handed to an 18yr old and 19 yr old who havent even played a league game between them. It has never happened in any other county, really bizarre decision, i cant fahom it at all

Blue06

From hoganstand

Cavan boss reshuffles pack

05 July 2007

Cavan boss Donal Keoghan has been forced into making a hoard of changes for Saturday's All-Ireland SFC qualifier with Mayo in Castlebar and has made five changes in all to the team that was ousted out of the Ulster championship by Down.

The well documented absence of Seàn Johnstone, Paul Bray and Martin Cahill has forced Keoghan into reshuffling his pack but he has made two further personnel changes as well.

The defence sees three changes with Dermot Sheridan and Keith Fannin come into the full-back line, while Martin Reilly is drafted in at wing back.

Nicholas Walsh lines out at midfield and Raymond Cullivan comes in at wing forward. Anthony Forde makes the switch from centre back to centre-forward in the absence of the suspended Michael Lyng.

The Cavan side to face Mayo is as follows - J Reilly; M Hannon, D Sheridan, K Fannin; R Flanagan, J Crowe, M Reilly; D McCabe, N Walsh; R Cullivan, A Forde, M McKeever; J O'Reilly, S Brady, G Pearson.

Why is Lyng suspended? Two yellows doesn't normally merit a suspension?

cavan4ever

He isn't suspended sure he isn't half fit.

rosnarun

the new look mayo team really has added spice to this match. and I will appaud franco if he has got it right. remember how heaney started his mayo career midfield V kerry in an All Ireland semi.. its very definetly the major surgery a lot of people were calling for. the spine of the team is completley chaged apart from midfied which now looks ancient. what replacements there now? nallen or will it call for a huge rearrangement whe brady starts coughing up blood, whosever it is

on a side note
One player im disapponted for is Marty mcnicholas . I think he a bit special and a great leader
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cavanfan

Lyng isn't suspended! ;) Cavan4ever, how do u know he isn't half fit? From what I hear he has been working serious hard on the fitness levels in the last few weeks! Not sure how the leg is tho!

And are u sure that is the cavan team?? Sure jayo is strugglin with injury isn't he??

cavan4ever

In the Fermangh game Lyng came on after 12 mins for Jason and then didn't come out for second half because of hamstring injury.  I dunno who has been telling you he has been working really hard because i  was told last friday that he has been doing "f**k all training the last while and isn't fit"   

Cavanfan

This is what I heard anyway!  I think he was only meant to take part in some of that game, did ok wen he came on. Anyway I'm sure the plan is to keep him in reserve. Hope Sherdian can do the business he's been playing well in challenges and training.

blast05

QuoteIf you havent seen a style of fooball that has taken mayo to countless finals in all grade in the last 20 years or so im afraid i cant be of much help. yes mayo when pplaying at theeir best do play a 'lovely brand of football' and to choke and give that up for a passing whim because it worked for kerry last year would be stupid in the extreme . before that were were supposed to send out a team resembling cavemen with toothaches to copy armagh,
we need to better at what we do best not ape others

Define the style for me.
Carrying the ball the length of the field with numerous handpasses and too many lads without enough competence to kick 50 yards foot passes ?
Whats so wonderful about this that would make you prefer to not win the All-Ireland this year if the only way we could do it was by kicking long diagonal ball to a full forward line for example ?

The phrase about Mayo playing 'lovely football' or being a 'nice team' is an insult ffs. Its the type of comment you only hear from a media not being strong enough to say "you were shite and embarrassing when you played Kerry last September" or hear from Kerry players after 2004 or 2006 who are trying to be humble and gracious in victory.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: rosnarun on July 05, 2007, 03:30:27 PM
the new look mayo team really has added spice to this match. and I will appaud franco if he has got it right. remember how heaney started his mayo career midfield V kerry in an All Ireland semi.. its very definetly the major surgery a lot of people were calling for. the spine of the team is completley chaged apart from midfied which now looks ancient. what replacements there now? nallen or will it call for a huge rearrangement whe brady starts coughing up blood, whosever it is

on a side note
One player im disapponted for is Marty mcnicholas . I think he a bit special and a great leader
Marty has been tried by several Mayo managers now and has never come up to the mark, there are a few lads on that squad who have rarely come up to the mark and its more than time the sweeping  brush was brought in.
I gather from the name you call JOM that you arent his biggest fan,who should be there then?
How could we have continued on with players in central positions who have simply too many miles on the clock or with players who were not up to county football standard?
Its about time we wised up and took on win at all costs attitude,maybe this is the begining of this sea change...long may it continue.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: blast05 on July 05, 2007, 04:07:56 PM
QuoteIf you havent seen a style of fooball that has taken mayo to countless finals in all grade in the last 20 years or so im afraid i cant be of much help. yes mayo when pplaying at theeir best do play a 'lovely brand of football' and to choke and give that up for a passing whim because it worked for kerry last year would be stupid in the extreme . before that were were supposed to send out a team resembling cavemen with toothaches to copy armagh,
we need to better at what we do best not ape others

Define the style for me.
Carrying the ball the length of the field with numerous handpasses and too many lads without enough competence to kick 50 yards foot passes ?
Whats so wonderful about this that would make you prefer to not win the All-Ireland this year if the only way we could do it was by kicking long diagonal ball to a full forward line for example ?

The phrase about Mayo playing 'lovely football' or being a 'nice team' is an insult ffs. Its the type of comment you only hear from a media not being strong enough to say "you were shite and embarrassing when you played Kerry last September" or hear from Kerry players after 2004 or 2006 who are trying to be humble and gracious in victory.

Spot on Blast

the Deel Rover

lads as i have said before its nearly the same players who have played the last 3 or 4 years bar kilcullen and Hanley who are making their debuts,but if john o' mahony is such a good manager why did he not try these players out during the league. when Galway won the all ireland in 2001 through the back door he did not give championship debuts to number 6 and number 11 he had a settled team,thats what worries me why did he not play them against Galway at least he would know then whether they were up for it, there is a big step up from under 21's to seniors.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Blue06 on July 05, 2007, 03:02:08 PM
The Cavan side to face Mayo is as follows - J Reilly; M Hannon, D Sheridan, K Fannin; R Flanagan, J Crowe, M Reilly; D McCabe, N Walsh; R Cullivan, A Forde, M McKeever; J O'Reilly, S Brady, G Pearson.

Well, I don't think there's much I'd necessarily change there to be honest. I might swap Flanagan with McKeever as, like the other poster above, I don't really see what McKeever has ever offered as a forward, he's better used busting on to breaks in the half back line and breaking through. I suppose it'll be swaps and mix and match there in the middle eight anyway. Forde could always drop back and Flanagan move forward if needed as well.

Delighted Ciaran Galligan isn't there he's a f**king shaper.

Really interested in how Sheridan does because we badly need to discover a full back, if we do the season might not have been a total disaster.

Sean Brady in full forward line will bring a bit of intelligence and team play to this area of the field, we've suffered too much from big egos in here in the past not willing to pass the ball and preferring to shoot from angles you'd have to squint at to see. Brady has a bit of a catch, decent shooting and an eye for a pass when a pass is called for. I just hope he gets the service in to him and doesn't have to be moved out the field before long to cover inadequacies elsewhere.

I hope we have a some way fit Mulvey on the bench to put on the edge of the square as dropping a few bombs in was something we left far too late to do against Down.

Best we can get here is probably a good display, a narrow defeat and hopefully some of the newer guys nailing down key positions. Although given we'll be written off and Mayo have a few new faces themselves, I'm not totally discounting the possibility of a win but the chances are slim.

highking

Johnno is very crafty. He didnt change the mayo team that much in the run up to the Galway game/election so as not to rock the boat in the county. If he did surgery on the team and it failed - the county would have turned against him and he wouldnt get elected. Now that he is elected and with an easy backdoor game, he can make the changes he probably wanted to do originally but couldnt afford to risk. Crafty indeed. Even if Mayo do get bet by Cavan, he still has the safety net of a Dail seat and also has the comfort of a three year deal with the county board to get it right for next year.