Mayo v Cavan

Started by Redgreenery, June 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

Interesting as the 2 teams played last week in a challange with Cavan prevailing, none the less this is a big game, I'd expect Mayo to prevail and its an extra that the game is in Castlebar. Mayo should be fired up a bit more for the qualifiers as i'd expect and progress.

prewtna

ah ya if we are to take ourselves seriously at all we should be beating cavan any day of the week.
this temporary exile will be home for good on friday and looking forward to seeing mayo again in the flesh.
not looking forward to starting back into training tho. :-[ 

mannix

Welcome home pnewtna, I think Mayo will beat cavan and if not then its no harm done, we are not at the races at all if we cannot get by them.Mayo will be at home according to the draw and castlebar is the home venue so thats a bonus too.When will it be played?

Redgreenery

Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2007, 06:47:52 PM
Welcome home pnewtna, I think Mayo will beat cavan and if not then its no harm done, we are not at the races at all if we cannot get by them.Mayo will be at home according to the draw and castlebar is the home venue so thats a bonus too.When will it be played?
It'll be played on the weekend of the 7/8 of July dates and times will be announced tomorrow.
If Mayo dont win this it'll be really bad for them and very disappointing for us supporters! Expecting them to win and well prepared for the rest of the qualifiers and on from there too. Hope there will be a change in the teams too, Jimmy Nallen and mabye K O Neill are just not up to it really anymore.

BallyhaiseMan

Castlebar away was the one i hoped we would avoid,  ::)
to be honest i think we will be lucky to come out with a 5 point beating,
The Cavan scene,with Overweight/unfit players and players fu*king off to the US has made me give up any hope of acheiveing anything this year.
That said il still probably travel to Castlebar.I never learn it seems.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: CC1 on June 24, 2007, 08:56:12 PM
Hope you Mayo lads give us a good beating. It will hopefully teach our county board to have the championship a bit earlier on next year.

we must be the only county in Ireland that doesnt start their championship until the end of July  ::)

Cavan Football is a complete and utter shambles from top to bottom

mannix

Luckily Mayo will not buy into the poor state of cavan football after the recent challenge defeat.Its a win or die game for a few mayo players careers and they realise that I am certain.

J70

Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2007, 09:33:53 PM
Luckily Mayo will not buy into the poor state of cavan football after the recent challenge defeat.Its a win or die game for a few mayo players careers and they realise that I am certain.

The Donegal players bought into it two years ago after Cavan's 21 point drubbing at the hand of Tyrone (as did the Cavan support, who didn't bother to show up in Breffni), and proceeded to let Cavan go ten points up before they knew what hit them. They would have turned it around except for late penalty miss, but they went out of the championship with no one to blame but themselves.

cavanmaniac

Mayo will probably win but I wouldn't buy into anyone thinking they'll get it handy. On the basis of the Galway game, who didn't excel themselves in Carrick today, Mayo can be quite ordinary and it beggars belief that someone as well prepared as Johnno normally is, is still foostering about with full back and centre half positions etc.

Mayo's All-Ireland final pedigree and experience, plus smattering of classy players, will carry them through against a Cavan side over which there's lots of question marks, ability and morale-wise. Pluses for Cavan might be that Mayo are still weakened at midfield through unfortunate circumstances, while if we use Lyng positively instead of an auxiliary defender as against Down, he might exploit a weakness at no 6 especially if Nallen plays there as I think he's past his best. I hope we stick a big man in ful-forward as well so we can vary the attack.

Our defence will let us down in the heel of the hunt though, so Mayo by three for me.

Home advantage is something Cavan could have done with but sure we can't even win a race to be first out of a hat ::)

From the Bunker

Johno will be happy! Home draw and a team that is annually underachieving! Cavan have such a strong tradition but have been in the wilderness for forthy years. It beggers belief that they have been so ordinary for so long! Mayo by 3-5 points, but after a hard struggle and some lessons learned. That said if Cavan are up for it they have nothing to lose and a Moderate scalp there for the taking!

Davitt Man

Quote from: prewtna on June 24, 2007, 06:36:24 PM
not looking forward to starting back into training tho. :-[ 

Junior game saturday evening, you will be around for that i take!!

OirthearMhaigheo

Not a bad draw at all, we avoided the big hitters for another round at least. Cavan seem to be in a bit of disarray with the lads feckin off to the states etc which is good news for us. They did beat us handily enough in a challenge though and we ourselves are no world-beaters at the minute, hopefully that will be enough of a reminder not to be complacent. We can't afford to be too cocky at the moment, get in, get the job done and try and get the show on the road again

rosnarun

It should be a cracker of a match. Cavan mayo matches usuallly are . they are two of the best to watch footballing counties in the country and neither are carrying much baggage about each other but have a lot to prove this year to themselves.
O'mahoney will hardly survive the winter should may lose after all his bull time he stood up and delivered. he has taken all-irelnd finalist asnd made them look a very poor team.
Mayo by 1 if we're lucky
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Msgr. Horan

I think both sides will be happy enough with this draw, if for no other reason then it could have been alot worse. Home advantage is key and that might swing it Cavans way. Cavan will be far from overawed by mayo having giving us quiet a trimming in that challenge two weeks ago, we scored 1-1 in the last few minutes to make the scoreline somewhat respectable. Mayo will have had seven weeks to recover from the shambles in salthill, Martin Carney reckons we are hitting form, hard to tell, we'll see.
The chopping and changing in the central positions for Mayo dosent leave me confident, BJP was up around the full forward line against cavan, T mort and Brady in the half back line. I have no problem with experimenting especially when the first product isnt working, but it is a bit worrying all this change so late in the year.

cavan4ever

Quote from: rosnarun on June 25, 2007, 09:29:00 AM
It should be a cracker of a match. Cavan mayo matches usuallly are . they are two of the best to watch footballing counties in the country and neither are carrying much baggage about each other but have a lot to prove this year to themselves.
O'mahoney will hardly survive the winter should may lose after all his bull time he stood up and delivered. he has taken all-irelnd finalist asnd made them look a very poor team.
Mayo by 1 if we're lucky

The game in Hyde Park two years ago was one of the worst games of the year.  Cavan are capable of putting in a big performance and winning this but thats only if everyone hits form at the same time.  Cavan will go into this with nothing to lose but mayo should have to much for them.