NFL Fantasy Football

Started by fntn, June 21, 2007, 08:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turk

Quote from: bombidal on October 21, 2007, 08:33:16 PM
The biggest problem I find with the Yahoo fantasy football is the way whomever sits in on a Sunday night has a huge advantage. Just sit and wait for a key player to go down and pick up his back up. Now im as guilty as anyone of this as most of the the time im in work on a Sunday anyway, but I feel its unfair on the majority.
The nfl.com fantasy league doesnt allow this. You cannot pick up a player until wednesday morning and who ever is first on the the waiver wire ( the player doing worst in the league ) has first shout. Also there is real time scoring updates and you dont have a defence player on your team. I have been in a league for the past 3 years on nfl.com and it is light years ahead. just a though for next year....

I'd agree with you bombidal,

i'm also an offender at this.

The nfl.com one is good, i'm playing one at the minute, i wonder can it be customised so that you play 2qb instead of 1 and customise it to our needs. I like the yahoo one though, but the restriction on picking up lads would be good

AZOffaly

Lads, I asked before the season began for alternatives. In fact I registered with NFL and cbssportsline just in case. None of them give the same flexibility though as regards scoring, league format, numbers etc etc.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me and I'm happy to do it with NFL next year, as long as it meets our needs, but no point being wise after the event. Anyway bombidal, you're doing alright out of it :D

heganboy

Use both the nfl and cbs, I actually prefer cbs (maybe cos that's the one I'm doing better in) the yahoo one isn't that bad, but it does advantage those keeping a close eye on proceedings, but surely that's the point in a fantasy league?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

turk

Quote from: heganboy on October 22, 2007, 12:28:08 PM
Use both the nfl and cbs, I actually prefer cbs (maybe cos that's the one I'm doing better in) the yahoo one isn't that bad, but it does advantage those keeping a close eye on proceedings, but surely that's the point in a fantasy league?

true i suppose!!

bombidal

The main problem is that there is a 12 team limit with the NFL.com one. Anyway all can be discussed next year if we are all here please god
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

magpie seanie

Great 97 yard drive led by Griese last night to keep the Bears season alive. Grossman would never, ever manage that. Delighted to see Hester getting involved on the offence a bit more too. Thought it a bit of a disgrace that Philly wouldn't kick to him - there should be rules against that - but then again I'm biased! Defence a bit better with Brian Urlacher having a big night. Still way off last years intensity and effectiveness esp against the run. Overall a dull enough game but could be a huge result for da Bears. If they can follow it up next week and get to 4-4 they then have a bye to get things sorted for the second half of the season.

AZOffaly

Hi All,

Week 7 is almost done and dusted, and there are still a few ties down for decision tonight, as the Colts take on the Jaguars.After that it's week 8 and on to Wembley. Hurrah.

Faithful Turfman (1-5) 61.92 - 57.85 Red Hand Helmets (2-4)
The Turfmen are in position to end a 5 game losing skid with tonight's game to come as they hold a slender 4+ point lead over the 2-4 Helmets, albeit with some significant players still to come on either side. Arnaz Battle (WR-SF, 57 yards, 1 TD, 11.85 points) and the Dallas Defence (22 points, including a blocked field goal returned for a TD) did the most damage for the Turfmen, while the lack of a starting QB for the helmets has proven costly, with only veteran WR Ike Hilliard of Tampa Bay doing the business with 92 rec yards and a TD for 15.20 points. The Turfmen send Reggie Williams (WR-JAC) and Maurice Jones-Drew (RB - JAC) into action tonight, while the Helmets send Jaguars kicker John Carney in the quest for enough points to pull them back. On the basis that Jones Drew or Williams will
have to do something to allow Carney get into position to kick field goals, the Turfmen are probably just about favourites.

Curragh Rams (5-1) 36.50 - 76.82 Lurgan Langers (4-2)
The Rams are in real danger of falling to 5-2 after week 7 is completed, but despite the 40+ point deficit, there is still some hope for the Kildare men. The Langers have posted a decent tally, and should be comfortable with that, following good performances from Matt Hasselbeck (QB SEA, 195, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 13.90 points), Eli Manning (QB - NYG, 146 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 12.92 points), Kevin Jones (RB - TB, 76 rushing yards, 1 Rushing TD, 34 Receiving yards, 14.50 points) and David Akers (K-PHI 14.50 points). However, the Rams, who endured a nightmare start from Saint Louis QB Marc Bulger (0 TDs, 3 INTs, 2 Fumbles lost, -5.50 points) are still just about in striking distance thanks to 12.50 points from Leon Washington (118 return yards, 1 2pt conversion, 12.50 points) and 15 points from the New England Defence. I say in striking distance, but only in the sense that the 3 players still to accumulate points include the consistent Peyton Manning (QB - IND) as well as Adam Vinatieri (K-IND) and Mercedes Lewis (TE-JAC). The Langers are all done for the week,

Ardboe Astros (2-4) 135.24 - 136.08 Crossmaglen Hitmen (4-2)
A rip roaring tie here looks to have gone the way of the 4-2 Hitmen as the Astros are all done for the week, while the Hitmen carry a < 1 point lead into tonight's game with star TE Dallas Clark of the Colts on duty. If Clark can steer clear of fumbles, the Hitmen will carry the day. As you would expect in such a high scoring game there was a plethora of 10+ point performances on both sides including, for the Astros, Chad Pennington (QB - NYJ, 272 yards, 3 TDs, 1 2pt Conversion, along with a costly INT and Fumble lost, for 24.29 points), Roddy White (WR-ATL, 110 yards, 1 TD, 17.50 points), Jeremy Shockey (TE, NYG, 39 yards, 1 TD, 10.45 points), Nate Burleson (WR-SEA, 176 return yards, 1 return TD, 22.40 points) and the New York Giants defence with 29 points. It seems harsh to say it, but the Astros will be cursing the decisions to start Sebastian Janikowski (K-OAK) instead of Ryan Lindell (K-BUF), which cost a net 10.50 points, and Ellis Hobb (DB-NE) instead of Osi Umeniyor (DL- NYG) which cost them 10.15 points. What a difference those extra 20.65 points could have made. The Hitmen made them pay with big nights from Brian Griese (QB - CHI, 322 yards, 1 TD, 16.44 points), Laverneus Coles (WR-NYJ, 133 yards, 2 TDs, 24.65 points), Wes Welker (WR-NE, 138 yards, 2 TDs, 27.10 points), Clinton Portis (RB- WAS, 43, 2 TDS, 16.35 points), Maurice Hicks (RB - SF, 135 return yards, 10.85 points), Marshawn Lynch (RB - BUF, 84 yards, 1 TD, 12.40 points) and the Minnesota 'D' (17 points). With such a spread of seriously good scoring the Hitmen were able to compensate for a nightmare by Arizona Kicker Neil Rackers who missed a potential game winning fieldgoal, as well as a PAT, for a return of -3 points.

Mayo Mafiosi (2-4) 46.85 - 80.79 Hegans Helmets (4-2)
Both sides made contentious selection decistions here which have cost points, but the Helmets will feel that the job is as good as done as they take a 34 point lead into the final game tonight. If it does go that way, the QB position will have been a vital component as the Helmets garnered 38.54 points from their pairing of  Tony Romo (QB - DAL, 277 yards, 1 TD, 11.74 points) and Ben Roethlisberger (QB - PIT, 290 passing yards, 4 TDs, 26.80 points) while the Mafiosi got 0 from Steve McNair (QB- BAL) and Vince Young (QB - TEN). Allied with the QB position output, the Helmets can also be grateful to Willis McGahee (RB - BAL) with 114 yards and a TD for 14.75 points. For the Mafiosi it was, by and large, a disappointing Sunday with only Marion Barber III (RB - DAL, 96 yards, 1 TD, 13.25 points) doing the business for them so far. Leaving Cincinnati RB Kenny Watson on the bench didn't help matters as he would have added 29.35 points, although the helmets can also point to LenDale White's (RB -TEN) unused 16.30 points to counter that omission. Tonight sees Dennis Northcutt (WR-JAC) take the field for the Mafiosi, but the deficit is too large, especially given that the Helmets will be togging out the Jacksonville Defence and Ernest Wilford (WR-JAC) as well.

Craigyhill Terrors (4-2) 59.70 - 33.97 shaneoneills (2-4)
The Terrors move on to 5-2 after this tie, which came to a conclusion with Sunday's games, as the bye-week hamstrung oneills could never put up a challenge to the vulnerable Terrors. Adrian Peterson (RB - MIN) and Jesse Chatman (RB - MIA) were the difference makers with 11.50 points and 10.60 points respectively for the Terrors, who had a pretty forgettable outing other than that. Unfortunately for shaneoneills, they could only look to Kyle Boller (QB-BAL) to reach 10 points as he made 10.17 points from 191 yards and a TD. 3 byes including 2 WRs and a Defensive team always made this a tall order for the oneills, and so it panned out.

Sydneys Sailors (0-6) 55.81 - 128.91 Ballyhaise Broncos (2-4)
A terrific outing by the Broncos, belying their 2-4 record has done the trick and condemned Sydneys Sailors to an 0-7 start, barring something completely out of this world tonight, where both teams have one man in action. The Sailors had decent production from Arizona QB Kurt Warner with 282 Passing Yards and 2 TDS, along with 2 INTS and a fumble lost for 13.64 points and Pittsburgh Wideout Santonio Holmes who hauled in a TD catch as part of his 54 yards total for 12.20 points. Apart from that, it was a wasteground in terms of high scoring for the Sailors although a RB and TE slot were vacant due to bye weeks. No such problems for the Broncos who had stars all over the teamsheet. None more so than record breaking Tennessee Kicker Rob Bironas, who set a new high water mark in the NFL with 8 successfull field goals and added 2 PATs for 20 points. Along with Bironas' career day, there were big outings from Jay Cutler (QB - DEN, 248 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTS, 21.01 points), Brandon Stokely (WR - DEN, 70 yards, 1 TD, 11.70 points), Larry Johnson (RB - KC, 112 yards, 1 TD, 17.65 points), Kevin Walter (WR- HOU, 97 yards, 1 TD, 13.85 points) and the Tennessee Defence with 13 points. This game is not completely in the books, as Joseph Addai (RB - IND) for the Sailors and Anthony Gonzalez (WR - IND) for the Broncos go through the formalities tonight.

GalwayImpactPlayers (1-5) 76.25 - 88.27 Bet With Paddy Power (6-0)
It's a perfect 7-0 start for the Paddy Powers as they hold out for a 12 point win in this fully completed tie, and the difference may have come down to 2 positions on a bye for the Players, as against 1 for the Powers, not to mention the ImpactPlayers' season long problems with the unplaying QBs. In contrast, even with Matt Moore (QB-CAR) on a bye, Jeff Garcia (QB - TB) gave the Paddy Power team a lot to cheer about with 316 yards passing, 2 passing TDs, along with 2 fumbles, for 21.82 points. Motormouth Terrell Owens (WR-DAL) also contributed well with 103 yards and a TD for 16.65 points while Jared Allen (DL-KC) added an unexpected bonus of 10 points with 8 tackles and 2 sacks. The Impact Players can only blame themselves for this loss, as despite big weeks from WR Randy Moss (NE, 122 yards, 2 TDs, 22.10 points), Reggie Bush (RB - NO, 54 yards, 1 receiving TD, 1 2pt conversion, 14.15 points), Ronald Curry (WR- OAK, 45 yards, 1 TD, 10.25 points) and Jason Hanson (K-DET, 12 points) the baffling decisions to leave performing players on the bench instead of bye week players, along with the decision to play Saint Louis D instead of Detroit's D ended up costing the Players a 24 points net total, which would have won the game.

L'Esprit de Biff (5-1) 53.40 - 117.80 Mayo Warriors (3-3)
A big upset on paper in progress here, although perhaps a little less unexpected when you glance through the lineups for the week, as the Biffs will be beaten by the 3-3 warriors, barring a totally unrealistic performance from Jacksonville QB David Garrard tonight. Bye weeks and poor performances decimated the Biffs squad, with only Mushin Muhammed (WR -CHI, 79 yards, 1 TD, 12.45 points) and Josh Brown (K-SEA, 18 points) doing their stuff. In contrast the warriors put up a big score, worthy of winning most matches, and could point to outings such as Donovan McNabb (QB - PHI, 226 yards, 1 TD, 11.42 points), Roydell Williams (WR- TEN, 124 yards, 10.40 points) and Robbie Gould (K-CHI, 13 points). All of these pale into insignificance, though, when compared to the unflappable genius of Tom Brady. Brady (QB - NE) absolutely gorged himself on the insipid Miami Dolphins Defence, throwing for 354 yards and a magical 6 passing touchdowns for an huge personal fantasy tally of 47.08 points. Given the fact that he on his own would only be 6.32 points behind the entire L'Esprit de Biff squad at this point, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the main driver behind this win for the mafiosi, who will move on to 4-3.

Cleveland Steamers (2-4) 115.51 - 109.40 O'Neill's Chargers (4-2)
Unfortunately the Steamers, despite posting a big score, may be about to learn a harsh reality about managerial decisions which are unlucky being punished in this league, as they left DeMeco Ryans (DL - HOU) and his 19.50 points on the bench this weekend, in favour of the 3.50 points returned by Adalius Thomas (DL - NE). Such decisions are hard to question in hindsight though, and with 115 points the Steamers would be deserved victors of most ties. Anquin Boldin (WR-ARI, 2 TDs, 17.45 points), Jerricho Cotcherry (WR-NYJ, 60 yards, 1 TD, 13.55 points), Tony Scheffler (TE- DEN, 50 yards, 1 TD, 11 points), Derrick Mason (WR-BAL, 78 yards, 1 TD, 13.40 points), Mike Nugent (K-NYJ, 12 points) and the Oakland D with 11 points all contributed handsomely. That the Steamers are in grave danger of being caught on the line is down to very good performances on the Chargers roster, including a monster 35 points (6 points allowed, 7 sacks, 3 INTs, 2 Fumble recoveries and a return TD) from the Seattle Defence against hapless Saint Louis. Also chipping in in a notable way were Sage Rosenfels (QB - HOU, 290 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INTS, 1 Fumble lost, 1 2pt conversion 25.80 points) and TJ Houshmandzadeh (WR-CIN, 43 yards, 1 TD 11.05 points). The reason for the negativity surrounding the Steamers performance is that while they are all finished for the week, the Chargers are sending Reggie Wayne (WR-IND) and Greg Jones (RB-JAC) into action tonight, and it would be a major surprise if they were unable to come up with 6.11 points between them. Time will tell however.

Lummox Squad 57 (4-2) 97.35 - 98.28 Ruthless Rossies (3-3)
Heartbreak for the Lummoxes as they lose out by less than a point in this tense and closely fought encounter, which was another of those games completed on Sunday night. The much maligned Drew Brees (QB - NO) finally came up trumps for the Rossies with 14.78 points from 219 yards, 2 TDs and an INT. Along with Brees, Donte Stallworth (WR-NE, 51 yards 1 TD, 10.05 points), Earnest Graham (RB - TB, 92 rushing yards, 99 receiving yards, 16.55 points) and Andre Davis (WR-HOU, 88 rec yards, 1 TD, 1 2pt conversion 158 return yards, 26.80 points) were all standout performers in this game where every point was vital, literally. For the Lummox Squad, Calvin Johnson (WR-DET, 37 receiving yards, 32 rushing, 1 rushing TD, 10.45 points), Brandon Jacobs (RB -NYG, 107 yards, 1 TD, 15.65 points), Heath Miller (TE-PIT, 50 yards, 2 TDs, 17.00 points) and the Washington Defence (19 points) were all in good form, but were unable to make up for a poor night at QB, where Damon Huard (QB - KC) and Trent Edwards (QB-BUF) combined for a mere 2.52 points.

Full results tomorrow.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteArdboe Astros (2-4) 135.24 - 136.08 Crossmaglen Hitmen (4-2)

Balls

lurganblue

tight one Gabe.

hoping to hold out for a win but P Manning could do the business and destroy my hopes. 5 and 2 would be nice!
whats the craic with Seattle this year? i thought they'd put up a better show?

Gabriel_Hurl

maybe his remaining player can get minus points

ONeill

A Saturday night decision to draft in Sage Rosenfels. My first worthwhile move of the season.

QuoteThe biggest problem I find with the Yahoo fantasy football is the way whomever sits in on a Sunday night has a huge advantage. Just sit and wait for a key player to go down and pick up his back up.

I don't understand this. Do you mean pre-kick-off?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

I think what he means is that if you are watching the games, and say the Jacksonville WR breaks his leg or goes out injured, you can immediately go to 'Add Players' and pick up his backup on the depth chart, so that next week you can play him. Of course that assumes that no-one else has already got him. In the case of second or third string QBs this would be particularly useful.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2007, 02:19:55 PM
QuoteArdboe Astros (2-4) 135.24 - 136.08 Crossmaglen Hitmen (4-2)

Balls

Gabe,

Anything can happen, hopefully none for the worst. I wish you well the rest of the season  ;)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ONeill

Cleveland Steamers  115.51 - 109.40 O'Neill's Chargers

has now changed to

Cleveland Steamers 115.51 - 103.40 O'Neill's Chargers

Squeaky bum.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

the onion bag

5 defeats in a row thanks to dropping a TE and WR that cost me the game last week with a combined total of 0.00 points and this week would have scored 22.75  ::)

If I'm anything lower than 4-6 after week 10 there'll be repercussions before the trading deadline.