Monaghan v Dublin AI Semi Final 15 July 2023

Started by donelli, July 13, 2023, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I thought Monaghan would have played out the last quarter better when they leveled it at 12-12, but their sensibilities departed the stage and a kickout  press reaped rewards for the Dubs. Kudos to Vinny, he orchestrated a good competitive Monaghan at the highest level in the GAA
Hurson made some good decisions but at the same time overall he was worth a clear 4 points to Dublin. I though he was poor in the Ulster s/f but then Derry were vastly superior to Mon. Here in a close game his name will forever have a black mark. Even so, in all probability the Dubs would have crawled over the line without his assistance.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 07:48:41 PMHurson made some good decisions but at the same time overall he was worth a clear 4 points to Dublin.

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 07:48:41 PMHere in a close game his name will forever have a black mark.

::) ::)

trailer

Hurson had a great game. But all the 50:50 calls went Dublin's way. And as the home team you'd expect that.

redzone

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 15, 2023, 07:44:03 PM
Monaghan really should be very proud of themselves.
They really gave it their all.
U serious. They shit themselves again. How many times have these players pooped on the big day.

Derryman forever

Quote from: redzone on July 15, 2023, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 15, 2023, 07:44:03 PM
Monaghan really should be very proud of themselves.
They really gave it their all.
U serious. They shit themselves again. How many times have these players pooped on the big day.

Yes I'm serious, they ran out of  bench and legs .
I thought they were great value for over 60mins.
Had they only taken one of their Goal chances in the first half.

Rossfan

Brave effort by Monaghan but we're shot after the hour mark.
Needed everything to go right fir them but 2 off the timber, and messed up goal chances 1st half cost them.
Dublin's attacks were always that much faster and more dangerous looking.
Wonder will the media ease up on the Dublin hype they've been bombarding us with since they demolished clueless Mayowestros ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 15, 2023, 07:30:46 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 15, 2023, 07:27:32 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 15, 2023, 07:26:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 15, 2023, 07:24:18 PM
Gough gets the publicity but Hurson is probably the best referee in the game at the minute.

Thought the Dubs were very ordinary today, they looked toothless in attack and Fitzsimmons looks a shadow of his former self. Kerry will be happy looking at that match today.

Fitzy was excellent today, I thought.

Clifford will be licking his lips against Fitzsimmons.

Maybe so.  Kerry have to get there first though before we can see about that one.

Yes of course, I'd love to see Derry get there but find it difficult to make a case for them.

As for Monaghan being bottlers which was bandied about by some on this board? It's the same accusation thrown at Mayo for losing in the latter stages of the championship for years now. Twenty odd other counties would love to have the success they have had from a limited playing pool. Corey should be crowned manager of the year for what he has achieved.

screenexile

I think the amount of lads who want to ride Hurson would need to look at things properly!

Yes he got a few calls right as you'd expect but he missed a blatant black card against Fenton for the goal chance and then 2 very handy Dublin frees in the first half! One of the Dublin lads grabbed a Monaghan arm then remonstrated he was held?! It wasn't good enough!!!

Dublin were very poor today. Scully and the Basquel were totally anonymous. Fenton was poor until the last 10 minutes to be fair. Plenty to pick at for the AIF!

Jell 0 Biafra

Monaghan got a few soft frees too. McManus  bought one off Fitzsimons  in the second half, and there was a very soft jersey pull against Small early on.

No way Fenton  deliberately dragged the attacker down, so never a black card.

Aaron Boone

Dublin Sean.

It's a safe place to be for career longevity.

screenexile

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 15, 2023, 09:08:22 PM
Monaghan got a few soft frees too. McManus  bought one off Fitzsimons  in the second half, and there was a very soft jersey pull against Small early on.

No way Fenton  deliberately dragged the attacker down, so never a black card.

What??? Have you looked at it? It's as clear a black card as you'll see!!

You can talk about McManus buying a free all you want but if he pulls up the onus is on Fitzsimons not to run into him so it was 100% a free!

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on July 15, 2023, 09:01:08 PM
I think the amount of lads who want to ride Hurson would need to look at things properly!

Yes he got a few calls right as you'd expect but he missed a blatant black card against Fenton for the goal chance and then 2 very handy Dublin frees in the first half! One of the Dublin lads grabbed a Monaghan arm then remonstrated he was held?! It wasn't good enough!!!

Dublin were very poor today. Scully and the Basquel were totally anonymous. Fenton was poor until the last 10 minutes to be fair. Plenty to pick at for the AIF!

Look at yourself. Scully played 15. Got a black card and was subbed. Hard to stand out in 25 mins 15 of which he spent in the sin bin.

An Watcher

Think there are a few being harsh on monaghan here.  Monaghan were fantastic and would have nowhere near the reserves that dublin have.  To have their best chance if winning they kept mcmanus and Hughes on the field.  Those two owe monaghan nothing and I'm sure if there were better on the bench Corey would have made the switch.  No one expected monaghan to get as close which was basically level with ten minutes to go.  At that stage monaghan were dead in their feet while the dubs were bringing in multiple all ireland medalists.  Congrats to dublin but fair play to monaghan on a fantastic performance

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on July 15, 2023, 09:42:15 PM

Look at yourself. Scully played 15. Got a black card and was subbed. Hard to stand out in 25 mins 15 of which he spent in the sin bin.

Yes... Dublin are in the habit of changing lads 10 Mins before half time... do you think there was a reason he was subbed??

Cunny Funt

Making a habit of that this year,  in their league performances against Clare,Derry away,Kildare,Cork and championship Kildare match in Leinster,Roscommon in the group stage and 1st half against Mayo the last day would be regarded as poor also.  I think some credit should go towards those teams that made Dublin look poor.

If Kerry or Derry are well organised they can make Dublin look poor also in the upcoming All Ireland final.