Best Derry footballer since 1980

Started by glens73, November 22, 2006, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best Derry footballer since 1980?

Joe Irwin
3 (2.1%)
Tony Scullion
24 (16.9%)
Anthony Tohill
67 (47.2%)
Kieran McKeever
5 (3.5%)
Brian McGilligan
6 (4.2%)
Henry Downey
8 (5.6%)
Joe Brolly
16 (11.3%)
Enda Gormley
4 (2.8%)
Sean Martin Lockhart
4 (2.8%)
Paddy Bradley
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Onlooker

A lot of good players have got honourable mentions, but looking at it from a couple of hundred miles away I'd definitely go for Tony Scullion.

Louth Exile

I was more of a fan of gormley than brolly myself and I fully acknowledge that big Brian was a key part of that midfield duo, but I had to go for big Anthony
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

DWAL

My dad sAys that none of them could lace Tommy Hutchinson's boots.

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: DWAL on May 22, 2007, 10:52:03 PM
My dad sAys that none of them could lace Tommy Hutchinson's boots.

Your da's talking through his hat!!!

Tohill is the Da!!!!

End of!!

TORGAEL

Tohill..............no question !

Estimator

Without doubt Tony Scullion - 4 All-Stars: 1 Legend
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

I have to agree with Tony as the best.
Tohill was a great player for Derry, but I seem to remember his form definately falling away after Magilligan retired. So I think it is fair to say Tohill looked better than we was because of Magilligan doing a lot of the dirty work. I still think Tohill was one of the top players in the country but Scud gets my vote for consistency and hardiness. Mind you, he wasnt at his best in the Derry v Down game of 94.

I think Brolly also warrants a mention as being there or there abouts. I remember being at a corporate event where Jarlath Burns was speaking and he said that prior to an Armagh v Derry game there whole game plan was based on how to keep Brolly out of the game. This is in a team that included Tohill, scud etc. That in itself should be an indication of how feared he was amongst other teams and shows he was indeed a class act.

Doire abú

No Dermot McNicholl or Enda Muldoon on the list?  :o :o

unforgiven

Tohill is the best talent Derry ever produced without a question of doubt.  Ability to field a ball, drive forward, take a score. take free kicks, win a game by himself.  Was sublime in 1993 when Derry won the All-Ireland and still excelled for the next 10 years, when those around him didn't  have the ability or live up to their expectations.

I say this as a 'Screen man and I say this as someone who thinks Scullion is one of the best defenders who ever played the game.  Still think Tohill rises above anyone who wore the derry jersey.

Tohill was also quite unique in Derry football as he seemed to put County Football in a higher priority than club football.

orangeman

Tony Scullion was the best defender of his era  -

Tohill was the best all rounder. Unmatched anywhere.

Doire abú

Quote from: unforgiven on November 21, 2008, 02:05:27 AM
Tohill is the best talent Derry ever produced without a question of doubt.  Ability to field a ball, drive forward, take a score. take free kicks, win a game by himself.  Was sublime in 1993 when Derry won the All-Ireland and still excelled for the next 10 years, when those around him didn't  have the ability or live up to their expectations.

I say this as a 'Screen man and I say this as someone who thinks Scullion is one of the best defenders who ever played the game.  Still think Tohill rises above anyone who wore the derry jersey.

Tohill was also quite unique in Derry football as he seemed to put County Football in a higher priority than club football.

What about Jim McKeever or Sean O'Connell?

tonesfirstandlast

Surely Damian Cassidy deserves a mention. The best footballer that Bellaghy ever produced and we have produced a few!

Drumanee 1

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 21, 2008, 11:00:22 AM
Surely Damian Cassidy deserves a mention. The best footballer that Bellaghy ever produced and we have produced a few!

are you looking a place on the panel :D

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on November 21, 2008, 11:01:36 AM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 21, 2008, 11:00:22 AM

are you looking a place on the panel :D

Naw, but I have a good chance of his backroom staff , not many footballing greats in there!

full back

Tohill the best, closely follow by Scullion & Brolly in that order