Best Derry footballer since 1980

Started by glens73, November 22, 2006, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best Derry footballer since 1980?

Joe Irwin
3 (2.1%)
Tony Scullion
24 (16.9%)
Anthony Tohill
67 (47.2%)
Kieran McKeever
5 (3.5%)
Brian McGilligan
6 (4.2%)
Henry Downey
8 (5.6%)
Joe Brolly
16 (11.3%)
Enda Gormley
4 (2.8%)
Sean Martin Lockhart
4 (2.8%)
Paddy Bradley
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Mac hinery

I would have thought Barton might have merited a mention in that list.  6 North Derry men and 3 from Dungiven what does that tell us apart from the fact that it doesnt impress Cromagh?
:)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mac hinery on November 23, 2006, 10:46:22 PM
I would have thought Barton might have merited a mention in that list.  6 North Derry men and 3 from Dungiven what does that tell us apart from the fact that it doesnt impress Cromagh?
:)

no Gerry McElhinney either !
;)

an All star no less !

Mac hinery

Ah but Gerry had hung up his headband and retired from County football by 1980.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mac hinery on November 23, 2006, 11:17:57 PM

oh yeah,
I forgot about that

Bogball XV

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 23, 2006, 11:23:03 PM
Quote from: Mac hinery on November 23, 2006, 11:17:57 PM

oh yeah,
I forgot about that

But lads, Gerry made a comeback both for Craigbane and Derry after he finished with the garrison game, he definitely played against Donegal in the 1990 Ulster semi, Fr. Sean Hegarty the manager I think - hammered we were!

lynchbhoy

I thought that
but to be fair
he was well past it at that stage

strange that he went to play with Craigbane rather than his old club....obv wanted to play along with the brothers

There are some fellows who played for Craigbane, Banagher and Dungiven !

lynchbhoy

just thinking, I've never set foot in the new Craigbane pitch - in spite of the fact 'our hill' overlooks it!

Bogball XV

It can't be that new, I think I played at its opening and that wasn't today or yesterday!!  In fact, more like 12 yrs ago - or have they upgraded it again?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 23, 2006, 11:54:37 PM
It can't be that new, I think I played at its opening and that wasn't today or yesterday!!  In fact, more like 12 yrs ago - or have they upgraded it again?

shows you how long it is since I've been a regular craigbane visitor !
I even trained on the old pitch (and watched the likes of Gerry crossan and my uncles play football)
getting there and back by tractor ! :o

The Joker

The most natural footballer I've seen in the last 30 years was Leo Sweeney who played for Coleraine. That he didn't play forthe county and indeed win an Allstar was a quirk of geography, although playing in the shadow of Jack Daniels didn't help either. A real shame, although he is still turning out for the odd five minutes for the club and changing games. True legend that is never talked about.

Lecale2

What about Dermot McNicholl. Is he not rated in Derry?

southderryman

only just discovered this thread, and although his better days were behind him by 1980 i really feel anthony mcgurk deserves a mention here, a truely outstanding footballer

Louper

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on November 23, 2006, 10:47:58 AM
I'm surprised you Derry wans think so highly of Joe B. Hateful wee c**t. I'd go for Tohill or Henry D myself. Great players and gentlemen to boot. But hey, what do I know, I'm only from Armagh.

very true bandit what do u know? if only the poll was "Who has the best personality of the following..."

tho ive chosen tohill myself aswell.

Black and white

Brolly shouldnt be in there, i think it is the 2 all-stars get him on list, i think gormlay did as much as him.  Mc Nicholl should def be on the list.

But i have to go for downey/scullion/mc keever/mcgilligan i cant seperate them.  the reason being their mental strenght  Derry wouldnt have won an Ireland without that will to win. Tohill was a great player but i never truely believed he was a leader. i think it was the only thing missing in his make up.

southderryman

forgot to mention that i'd go for big mcgilligan myself. made tohill the player he was. in fairness mc keever and scullion wouldnt be too far behind.