Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 18, 2019, 09:34:52 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 18, 2019, 09:28:26 AM

I think there was a bit of negativity regarding him alright. And there can be for these types of players who may look limited in footballing ability but are absolutely vital for teams to maintain the high tempo that Liverpool play to and the pressing game. Lucas was another one that got horrendous abuse early in his career but proved himself over time. It can be the Match of the day effect. Henderson will rarely look great on MotD as he rarely does the spectacular and doesn't get much air time in the highlights. But he works his arse of and anyone watching the full game will generally see what he brings to the table.

Thats a lot to do with it for the "armchair" supporter. I watch most Liverpool games right through and appreciate the work Henderson does but as you say, not much ends up on MoTD. Pogba is the polar opposite in my view. On the highlights he will have 2 or three brilliant moments or pieces of skill and looks good for Linekar & Co but for 95% of the game he is anonymous, uninterested or not involved.

There is a place for both types of players in certain teams/matches but Liverpool's system needs the workhorses in midfield. The likes of Pogba would seriously unbalance it. I think its one of the reasons Liverpool were happy to sanction the Couthinho sale when it was obvious he wanted to go. People attribute the improvement in Liverpool defensively to VVD arriving and clearly that has been teh primary reason. However, I think Couthinho's departure also had an impact. By his leaving it automatically means that one of the regular starters is now replaced by a more defensively minded player (whether its Hendo, Gini, or by default that the front three is now fixed rather than 3 from 4.

nrico2006

Quote from: TabClear on October 18, 2019, 09:46:42 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 18, 2019, 09:34:52 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 18, 2019, 09:28:26 AM

I think there was a bit of negativity regarding him alright. And there can be for these types of players who may look limited in footballing ability but are absolutely vital for teams to maintain the high tempo that Liverpool play to and the pressing game. Lucas was another one that got horrendous abuse early in his career but proved himself over time. It can be the Match of the day effect. Henderson will rarely look great on MotD as he rarely does the spectacular and doesn't get much air time in the highlights. But he works his arse of and anyone watching the full game will generally see what he brings to the table.

Thats a lot to do with it for the "armchair" supporter. I watch most Liverpool games right through and appreciate the work Henderson does but as you say, not much ends up on MoTD. Pogba is the polar opposite in my view. On the highlights he will have 2 or three brilliant moments or pieces of skill and looks good for Linekar & Co but for 95% of the game he is anonymous, uninterested or not involved.

There is a place for both types of players in certain teams/matches but Liverpool's system needs the workhorses in midfield. The likes of Pogba would seriously unbalance it. I think its one of the reasons Liverpool were happy to sanction the Couthinho sale when it was obvious he wanted to go. People attribute the improvement in Liverpool defensively to VVD arriving and clearly that has been teh primary reason. However, I think Couthinho's departure also had an impact. By his leaving it automatically means that one of the regular starters is now replaced by a more defensively minded player (whether its Hendo, Gini, or by default that the front three is now fixed rather than 3 from 4.

I think the Van Dijk contribution to Liverpools defence has been over-stated too.  People forget that Robertson, Arnold and the Allison were also essentially new players too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Doom.....

The only place quieter than here is the Liverpool thread  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on October 20, 2019, 10:33:56 AM
Doom.....

It won't be quiet after the match. Utd can only hope for a boring 0-0 but they don't have the players to thwart Liverpool's attack. 9/10 in places for Liverpool. That has to be easy money 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Salah not in the Liverpool squad? One less headache for Utd. Still can't see Utd causing Liverpool any problems.
I will also add that Fred is starting. Ole trying to pack midfield.

under the bar

I expect Fergie to visit the dressing room ahead of kick-off to remind some of the passengers in the team what it means to play in this fixture. 

t_mac

t_mac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2019, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: Boycey on October 20, 2019, 10:33:56 AM
Doom.....

It won't be quiet after the match. Utd can only hope for a boring 0-0 but they don't have the players to thwart Liverpool's attack. 9/10 in places for Liverpool. That has to be easy money

Hope you hadn't lumped on. 8)

under the bar

Not going so well for Scouse Cheaters Inc. so far....?

t_mac

Quote from: under the bar on October 20, 2019, 05:23:02 PM
Not going so well for Scouse Cheaters Inc. so far....?

Getting better.  ;D :D ;D

under the bar

Despite fluking an undeserved draw Liverpool affirm what everyone knows. They can't win in Manchester.

t_mac

Quote from: under the bar on October 20, 2019, 06:27:03 PM
Despite fluking an undeserved draw Liverpool affirm what everyone knows. They can't win in Manchester.

Oh dear that seems to have hurt, bless, don't worry 3 months to McKenna cup, party time.

Geoff Tipps

Cunny Funt

Funny old game, all logic before the game pointed to a comfortable Liverpool win yet United deserved the win in that match but for an error by Rojo and Young caught napping allowed Liverpool in to grab a draw. Has been plenty of cristism towards Ole but today he got his tactics spot on and made the European champions look very ordinary for most of that match.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 20, 2019, 06:30:32 PM
Funny old game, all logic before the game pointed to a comfortable Liverpool win yet United deserved the win in that match but for an error by Rojo and Young caught napping allowed Liverpool in to grab a draw. Has been plenty of cristism towards Ole but today he got his tactics spot on and made the European champions look very ordinary for most of that match.

Based on what? They had less shots on goal and less possession and the goal came from a clear foul.